Devils 2022 MLB Draft Thread/College Baseball Thread(Mock Draft 3/Draft Sunday MLB Network 7e)

devils1854

13 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Theres a great Cubs pick @hrubes20

I really like a Horton/Ferris combo in a vacuum.  Two 1st round caliber pitchers with high ceilings. 

But when you factor in who was available at 7, I don't really like it.  Obviously the Cubs don't think as highly of Brooks Lee, Kevin Parada, or Cam Collier as I do.  Or maybe they just fell in love with Horton.  I'm going to be following the Twins draft picks pretty closely, as a Lee/Prielipp or Whisenhunt combo is probably what I personally would have done.  

Really hoping Gavin Turley's number isn't too high to sign away from OSU and that the Cubs roll the dice on those tools today.

On 7/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, hrubes20 said:

My annual, terrible, no-good, very bad mlb draft mock:

1. O's - Brooks Lee, SS

2. Dbacks - Druw Jones, OF

3. Rangers - Jackson Holliday, SS

4.  Pirates - Cam Collier, 3B

5.  Nationals - Elijah Green, CF

6.  Marlins - Termarr Johnson, 2B

7.  Cubs - Kevin Parada, C

8.  Twins - Jacob Berry, 1B/DH/3B

9.  Royals - Brock Porter, RHP

10. Rockies - Zach Neto, SS

11.  Mets - Jace Jung, 2B

12. Tigers - Gavin Cross, OF

13. Angels - Kumar Rocker, RHP

14. Mets - Dylan Lesko, RHP

15. Padres - Brandon Barriera, LHP

16. Guardians - Justin Crawford, OF

17. Phillies - Cade Horton, RHP

18. Reds - Daniel Susac, C

19. A's - Dylan Beavers, OF

20. Braves - Gabriel Hughes, RHP

21. Mariners - Cooper Hjerpe, LHP

22. Cardinals - Jett Williams, SS

23. Blue Jays - Drew Gilbert, OF

24. Red Sox - Sterlin Thompson, OF

25. Yankees - Spencer Jones, OF/1B

26. White Sox - Jordan Beck, OF

27. Brewers - Chase DeLauter, OF

28. Astros - Peyton Graham, SS

29. Rays - Tucker Toman, 3B

30. Giants - Connor Prielipp, LHP

3 out of 30 picks correct.  Baseball draft is always so wild.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Oof Holliday. Kjerstead, Cowser, Holliday. Baltimore trying to stay in rebuild mode for another decade. 

What a weird time to bag on the O’s (and those picks). 

Cowser is currently destroying AA, and Lawlar finally hit a rough patch (after admittedly looking like a star since draft day) and actually just got demoted. Kjerstad is finally back on the field and immediately hit a paltry .463 right out of the box to get promoted in 3 weeks, while the two main guys they were supposed to take over him (Martin and Lacy) both look like complete busts. Holliday by all accounts was going either #1 or #2 and was at least a consensus top 3 guy among the groupthink industry. There’s genuinely never been a moment when those picks have looked better than they do today. 

Add in the other early picks they’ve made in those recent drafts that are raking (specifically Henderson and Westburg), and it just feels like an odd moment to take shots at their evaluations. They’re a few months away from putting a full lineup on the field of good players under age 27 (C Rutschman, 1B Mountcastle, 2B Vavra, 3B Westburg, SS Henderson, LF Stowers, CF Mullins, RF Hays), and they’ve built one of the league’s better bullpens out of nothing but smoke, mirrors, and table scraps. 

It’s not that I don’t hear what you’re saying, because I’d agree it seems like there’s a lot more superstar upside in Lawlar/Jones than in Cowser/Holliday — but it’s also becoming increasingly clear that these guys have a pretty decent idea what they’re doing. 

3 hours ago, biggio7 said:

Nothing wrong with what he said. He could say all the right things. Actions are different. Like I said, I hope he gets a better head.

fair enough

3 hours ago, biggio7 said:

I don't know who that is

he was the 3rd overall pick by the Houston Rockets.  He was projected to go 1st overall to @KhanYouDigIt's team but fell to 3.  He doing a friendly jab at that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Another god damn munchkin. He's a 5'8" 140 lbs contact hitter. I despise this philosophy. 

Stearns looked at your big league lineup all hitting .230 and decided he needed to add in some contact.

Edited by hrubes20

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Stearns looked at your big league lineup all hitting .230 and decided he needed to add in some contact.

We've literally only drafted contact guys since 2018. Think the only power over hit guys we've drafted early are Joe Gray Jr, Thomas Dillard, Alex Binelas and Joey Wiemer. Hitters taken in the top 5 rounds since 2018...

Eric Brown Jr
Robert Moore
Dylan O'Rae
Matt Wood

Sal Frelick
Tyler Black
Alex Binelas (traded to Boston)

Garrett Mitchell
Freddy Zamora
Zavier Warren
Joey Wiemer
Hayden Cantrelle (traded to Miami)

Nick Kahle
Thomas Dillard

Brice Turang
Joe Gray Jr
Micah Bello

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

Rangers drafted Porter.  Chances he signs?

99%, with the only question being whether or not the medicals are fine.  Rocker and Porter supposedly share "advisors" and I'm sure they've had numbers figured out since yesterday.

This feels like the most anti-Cardinals draft in a LONG time.  I know they weren't going to go crazy with one of the lowest bonus pools in the draft, but they didn't draft a SINGLE high school player and the only non-college junior they drafted was Max Rajcic in the 6th round as a rSO.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This feels like the most anti-Cardinals draft in a LONG time.  I know they weren't going to go crazy with one of the lowest bonus pools in the draft, but they didn't draft a SINGLE high school player and the only non-college junior they drafted was Max Rajcic in the 6th round as a rSO.

Ha, the Brewers didn't take an American high schooler either. The one HS kid they drafted was from Canada.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Ha, the Brewers didn't take an American high schooler either. The one HS kid they drafted was from Canada.

You have to go back to 2004 the last time the Cardinals didn't take a single HS player in the first 10 rounds.  They've gone almost exclusively slot with their first pick and then overslot with their second pick, and then make up the savings with their later picks.