GB free agency 2022

squire12

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If this team doesn't get Jaire and Adams done soon, they're done spending. A gaping hole at TE, #3 EDGE and #3 CB, along with pretty decent sized holes at #2 WR and RT doesn't exactly have me inspired. We ended last year as the clear #1 team in the NFC in talent. Think we're pretty clearly behind Tampa and LAR right now.  Figured this would be boom, boom, boom with Rodgers, Adams, Jaire. They're all arguably the best at their position and you've had the entire season to figure this out. Bit concerning we were willing to go this route without being almost there and these other extensions.

Tampa is bleeding players… cost of winning. Tom lost his 2 starting guards. I know they traded for one… but all those guys on the defense are going to get paid.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Tampa is bleeding players… cost of winning. Tom lost his 2 starting guards. I know they traded for one… but all those guys on the defense are going to get paid.

Their entire LB core and secondary is back, along with Vea and Barrett. JPP and Fournette are their only big time FA's left and I'd be socked if either leave. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Great...

Love keeping dinosaurs on the roster like Crosby, Lewis and Cobb while letting a 26-year old CB who just picked 5 passes in 8 games go. Sounds intelligent.

Yeah .. time to cut the geezers.  Nobody wants those guys other that Gutey and Aaron.  Rusul was a perfect fit .. a playmaking dude out there.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If this team doesn't get Jaire and Adams done soon, they're done spending. A gaping hole at TE, #3 EDGE and #3 CB, along with pretty decent sized holes at #2 WR and RT doesn't exactly have me inspired. We ended last year as the clear #1 team in the NFC in talent. Think we're pretty clearly behind Tampa and LAR right now.  Figured this would be boom, boom, boom with Rodgers, Adams, Jaire. They're all arguably the best at their position and you've had the entire season to figure this out. Bit concerning we were willing to go this route without being almost there and these other extensions.

Didn't you just remind this board mere hours ago that Gute said they will create cap space as needed?

They will get these things done as, say, a Douglas is signed. There's still flexibility outside of Adams and Jaire.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Didn't you just remind this board mere hours ago that Gute said they will create cap space as needed?

They will get these things done as, say, a Douglas is signed. There's still flexibility outside of Adams and Jaire.

I hope Bill Huber and Rapsheet are wrong, but they've been the breakers of the Rodgers extension and Campbell signing. IF we've broken off talks it's because what I said isn't going to come true. There really isn't anything left cap wise save maybe extending Lowry or Amos. We needed ONE of those extensions to get Douglas back, both if we wanted MVS/Tonyan or to go out and actually looks at FA. I assumed we pretty much had silent agreements with these guys, but I am looking to be misplaced with my confidence. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Their entire LB core and secondary is back, along with Vea and Barrett. JPP and Fournette are their only big time FA's left and I'd be socked if either leave. 

suh, gholston, Sherman, Howard, Ronald Jones, Bernard are all FA still, they lost Whitehead so the whole secondary isn’t back.

So their whole back field is in flux, they to this point have no real TEs because Gronk is a FA too on top of Howard (but likely back with Tom, but it’s another year of damage on those already beat up tires).

This team already had issues in the secondary… hence getting Sherman last year. And Tom likely can’t stand Bruce anymore (given the retirement and likely trying to get to SF business).

Not saying they ain’t a contender… but like GB they have got some work to do before I’m sitting here saying they are better than GB.

Edited by Green19

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I hope Bill Huber and Rapsheet are wrong, but they've been the breakers of the Rodgers extension and Campbell signing. IF we've broken off talks it's because what I said isn't going to come true. There really isn't anything left cap wise save maybe extending Lowry or Amos. We needed ONE of those extensions to get Douglas back, both if we wanted MVS/Tonyan or to go out and actually looks at FA. I assumed we pretty much had silent agreements with these guys, but I am looking to be misplaced with my confidence. 

Sul deleted all his Packers **** off IG. That's pretty much player speak for "I'm gone".

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Let's also pause to realize that Rasul here was always a long-shot. Simply because he's better than a CB3 and will be paid as such, which creates a value imbalance on this roster.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Let's also pause to realize that Rasul here was always a long-shot. Simply because he's better than a CB3 and will be paid as such, which creates a value imbalance on this roster.

We just handed out 10m per year on a 4.25m cap hit. We're either all in, or we're not. Douglas will cost us 4-5m on the cap this year, that shouldn't be a long shot. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

We just handed out 10m per year on a 4.25m cap hit. We're either all in, or we're not. Douglas will cost us 4-5m on the cap this year, that shouldn't be a long shot. 

what younger, better, and cheaper ILBs do we have behind Campbell that will ease the pain of his future potential dead cap?

The salary cap is fanciful, but it's still an upper bound that needs to be kept in mind when decisions are made (especially when one of the necessities of signing Rasul is a market-setting contract for another player that plays his position).

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd say they have gaping holes with the OL depth in general with Patrick and Kelly gone too. Hopefully Runyan and/or Newman take the next step.

They also need to replace Lancaster (which, admittedly, shouldn't be *too* hard), CB4, re-sign Bojorquez, and fill out WR depth. Obviously you can find a number of JAGs out there, but it's tougher with limited resources.

Plus while we can hope the younger guys develop, you also need to hope there's not regression from Rodgers.

...also it would be nice to not be wasting a roster spot on Cobb. Especially if you want a bigger and/or faster WR group.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what younger, better, and cheaper ILBs do we have behind Campbell that will ease the pain of his future potential dead cap?

The salary cap is fanciful, but it's still an upper bound that needs to be kept in mind when decisions are made (especially when one of the necessities of signing Rasul is a market-setting contract for another player that plays his position).

I like signing Campbell, not saying I didn't, #3 CB is a starter to me, an about equal to ILB. Teams won't throw at Jaire again, that leaves Stokes and whoever is #3 who's going to get a majority of our targets.

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's also Suh and Gronk.

Getting Shaq Mason in a trade was huge for them though. Helps keep OG stable.