Jordan Davis

DudeWhat???

33 minutes ago, AFF said:

I would prefer Travis Jones in the 2nd compared to Davis in the 1st.

This, or Phidarian Mathis in the 3rd. Too many shiny toys in the first to spend it on a NT. I know I'll catch some flak for that, but it's true. NT, OG, SS, ILB are positions I'd shy away from in the first unless there is a true blue chipper. Maybe Davis is that, but I'm not sure I'd take that risk. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This, or Phidarian Mathis in the 3rd. Too many shiny toys in the first to spend it on a NT. I know I'll catch some flak for that, but it's true. NT, OG, SS, ILB are positions I'd shy away from in the first unless there is a true blue chipper. Maybe Davis is that, but I'm not sure I'd take that risk. 

I’m trying to remember who it was the discussion/argument was over like 2-3 years ago when I said this and I got a ton of pushback. I think it was 2018, when I was all about Poona Ford in the 6th/7th. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Fats was the 1 tech in that defense.  Green was the 3 tech.  I would not trust Davis to play 3 tech very long.  He is going to end his rookie contract as a 2 down player.

Jordan played a lot of one technique at Georgia. It probably was his specialty. If he can dominate that a gap, he probably could dominate a b gap. He might be better suited at that given his length, and arms, heighth, etc.  The dude can side step/ jump cut BOTH directions off the snap. He handles SEC double teams almost comically. his floor is a damn high imo. Even as a two down player. I can’t even evaluate georgias other players when he’s on the field. Dean was amazed at him every practice. But, your concerns are legitimate. If I didn’t think he could play 0-3 technique, I wouldn’t be very interested, or not nearly.  

39 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I really think Jordan Davis is going to be a really good player but a 6' 6 nose tackle in our defense just doesn't make a ton of sense imo.

I definitely prefer Travis Jones.

It doesn’t. He’s not a patty caker. He can do it ok, but his athleticism is wasted as a two gapper imo. I don’t see him getting pushed backwards much. He’s almost never on the ground. I could see him doing it though if he had to. And bull rushing SEC guards and centers a yard back messes their schemes all the f up. And if u want 2 deep ball hawking safeties and coverage ILB then, and u want to run a nickel base and drop 7 in coverage, u better have some big and fast DT’s that can penetrate and still hold their own against runs. And you’ll probably need 3 good ones rotating in. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd rather get an ILB in the 2-3 with some sand in his pants rather than a 1st round NT. 

I would too. This cat isn’t just a nose tackle though. He’s a freak. 10’3” broad jump? Mine was 10’2” in high school before my acl surgery. I was doing box jumps and 5 dot drills like a fanatic. Name a 2 gapping nose tackle that has ever done that, at even the nfl level. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

17 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Jordan played a lot of one technique at Georgia. It probably was his specialty. If he can dominate that a gap, he probably could dominate a b gap. He might be better suited at that given his length, and arms, heighth, etc.  The dude can side step/ jump cut BOTH directions off the snap. He handles SEC double teams almost comically. his floor is a damn high imo. Even as a two down player. I can’t even evaluate georgias other players when he’s on the field. Dean was amazed at him every practice. But, your concerns are legitimate. If I didn’t think he could play 0-3 technique, I wouldn’t be very interested, or not nearly.  

It doesn’t. He’s not a patty caker. He can do it ok, but his athleticism is wasted as a two gapper imo. I don’t see him getting pushed backwards much. He’s almost never on the ground. I could see him doing it though if he had to. And bull rushing SEC guards and centers a yard back messes their schemes all the f up. And if u want 2 deep ball hawking safeties and coverage ILB then, and u want to run a nickel base and drop 7 in coverage, u better have some big and fast DT’s that can penetrate and still hold their own against runs. And you’ll probably need 3 good ones rotating in. 

I am basing it solely on the fact that Georgia pulled him when they played Bama (SEC Championship) when Bama was just passing all the time.

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am basing it solely on the fact that Georgia pulled him when they played Bama (SEC Championship) when Bama was just passing all the time.

They didn’t repeat it very well. Granted bama was down 2 nfl wr’s. But … what was the reason they were so scared to run it I wonder? It was a smart game plan for bama. Guarantee u though nick saban does not like passing that much. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The NFL does, though. That's the problem.

Good. Jordan Davis just might be the answer! If this cat makes them that one dimensional. Then we can continue to get coverage lb’s and safety hybrids that cannot shed blocks or tackle people professonally

Edited by SMashMouthMike

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

The other part is Nick Saban is a master when given time. He saw something on tape to attack and did so. 

Exactly.  Just like Georgia vs Michigan where they ran and ran and ran.

But my point was that the Bulldogs view him mainly as a run stuffer.  I am not sure if he played in the 2nd 1/2 of that game.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Exactly.  Just like Georgia vs Michigan where they ran and ran and ran.

But my point was that the Bulldogs view him mainly as a run stuffer.  I am not sure if he played in the 2nd 1/2 of that game.

Low snap count. The difference in the national championship was more about what Georgia changed offensively than defensively. In the SEC game they didn’t help their defense. In the championship game they attacked Bamas edges who were weaker this year and really ran the clock.