2022 Offseason Discussion

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

See I’m the total opposite 

I’d rather draft a receiver so they grow in the system without having any outside expectations. This receiver class is stupid deep. 

I have no idea how deep it is, but I think it’s deep enough to get a #2 caliber WR (as a rookie) in R1-2.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Isn’t Kirk primarily a slot? 

I believe so and I have never really saw the appeal with him. He would be a good WR3 to have, but I would be upset if we signed this dude to a 13M deal to be a WR2. 

I dont understand cutting Jarvis because you dont want to pay him 10M but will go give Kirk 12M+

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

See I’m the total opposite 

I’d rather draft a receiver so they grow in the system without having any outside expectations. This receiver class is stupid deep. 

Spend money on the Dline so we can get some guys that can contribute day 1. Draft at both positions but I think you can more bang for your buck signing lineman this year. 

We need vet WRs to show us what we have in Baker. Bakers time is up next year it’s put up or shut up. It’s rare for a rookie WR to do what Chase did.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

I believe so and I have never really saw the appeal with him. He would be a good WR3 to have, but I would be upset if we signed this dude to a 13M deal to be a WR2. 

I dont understand cutting Jarvis because you dont want to pay him 10M but will go give Kirk 12M+

I think the speed difference is notable, but yeah, more or less.

Maybe this is the wrong way to look at it, but I don’t go out looking for slot receivers.  Guys who are in the slot are typically there because they can’t win on the outside.

Now I’m not dating you don’t need them, just that if I’m spending big money, I want a perimeter receiver, not someone who needs protected in the slot.

I feel like our TE’s or DPJ or Felton or Schwartz would do just fine in the slot.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We need vet WRs to show us what we have in Baker. Bakers time is up next year it’s put up or shut up. It’s rare for a rookie WR to do what Chase did.

I mean, we’d have exactly one rookie playing meaningful snaps on the offense if we took one R1-3. 

And no WR is gonna do what Chase did here.  Different scheme.  We just need a dude who can win 1:1 and make teams respect them with their coverages. I’m not sure Kirk does that any better than some of these rookies.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the speed difference is notable, but yeah, more or less.

Maybe this is the wrong way to look at it, but I don’t go out looking for slot receivers.  Guys who are in the slot are typically there because they can’t win on the outside.

Now I’m not dating you don’t need them, just that if I’m spending big money, I want a perimeter receiver, not someone who needs protected in the slot.

I feel like our TE’s or DPJ or Felton or Schwartz would do just fine in the slot.

Yeah but being a 'slot' WR is a actual talent you need to have. You cant just stick any fast dude in the slot and call them a good slot WR. The 3 best slot WRs I have seen are Welker/Edelmen/Landry and none of them are considered burners.

Being a route technician, great hands and being able to catch in traffic are far more important qualities for a good slot receiver than 'hey your fast Felton go be our slot WR'

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah but being a 'slot' WR is a actual talent you need to have. You cant just stick any fast dude in the slot and call them a good slot WR. The 3 best slot WRs I have seen are Welker/Edelmen/Landry and none of them are considered burners.

Being a route technician, great hands and being able to catch in traffic are far more important qualities for a good slot receiver than 'hey your fast Felton go be our slot WR'

Right, they’re great slot guys because they can’t win on the outside.

If you just want a possession guy, I think DPJ and the TE’s can do a lot of the same things.

As far as Schwartz, as bad as he was teams have to at least respect his speed.  If he gets a step, you’re not recovering. It’s much harder to press a guy in the slot and much harder to cover a guy with his speed when you can’t use your hands to slow him down.