2022 Offseason Discussion

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I really hope this doesn’t happen.

If they start making aggressive moves to get him though, if they don’t land him, they are really going to sour things with Mayfield possibly to the point they’ll need to find another option at QB. 

Imo they need to stay out of this toxic bidding war and kiss and make up for year 5, hoping for the best there. If it doesn’t work out well for Baker next year, you move on and have some other non-predatory options next off-season. 

At this point I am hoping these are just bad sources.

Air truckstop is flying to Houston. 

What business does he have in Houston in the middle of silly season other than  meeting with DeShaun?

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I really don't think they would risk rocking the boat with Baker in a critical year if they didn't plan on going 'all in' to get Watson. 

Yeah, that’s kind of my perspective. Once they dip their toes in the water here, they are kind of committed to see it through. It’s not easy to repair a relationship with your quarterback when you start exploring upgrades. I do agree, I like his play, but I just can’t get on board with him as a person. 

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Air truckstop is flying to Houston. 

What business does he have in Houston in the middle of silly season other than  meeting with DeShaun?

Holding out hope that he is breaking ground on a new Pilot Flying J out there.

Doesn’t Watson have a no trade clause? So I am guessing this meeting would be to gauge whether he would be willing to come to Cleveland and waive this clause, basically allowing us to bid against the NFC south teams that he has already met with?

Just now, NateDawg said:

Yeah, that’s kind of my perspective. Once they dip their toes in the water here, they are kind of committed to see it through. It’s not easy to repair a relationship with your quarterback when you start exploring upgrades. I do agree, I like his play, but I just can’t get on board with him as a person. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Holding out hope that he is breaking ground on a new Pilot Flying J out there.

Lol nope it's actually being reported by multiple sources now the Browns are flying to meet with Watson. 

Weeeeeeeee

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Haha true. The thing is Watson already rejected the Colts. Not sure if that was because of the AFC thing or because he doesn't like their team.

How were the Browns able to get a meeting and the Colts didn't?

With the other interest I am actually just surprised the Texans would gauge any interest within their own division. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

With the other interest I am actually just surprised the Texans would gauge any interest within their own division. 

Exactly, which makes me believe either 1) Watson approved it and/or the Texans have interest in potentially getting Baker in a trade and they would trade him inside the AFC to make that happen.

12 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Doesn’t Watson have a no trade clause? So I am guessing this meeting would be to gauge whether he would be willing to come to Cleveland and waive this clause, basically allowing us to bid against the NFC south teams that he has already met with?

Berry can really get guys to come here

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

@brownie man must be sleeping or he’d be typing like mike rn.

😂 

I’ve been trying to tell y’all. Idk if it’ll happen or not, but I knew we’d make a serious move on it. 

Besides Deshaun I’ve said from the start I’m keeping Baker, but if you can get Deshaun you go get him within reason.

I don’t want to trade

Chubb Hunt Amari any of the o line

Mykes JOK Ward Newsome 

besides that I think I’d listen

Greddy was a name that could make sense for both sides. 3 First Baker and Greedy. I think that’s fair. 

Just now, brownie man said:

😂

I’ve been trying to tell y’all. Idk if it’ll happen or not, but I knew we’d make a serious move on it. 

Besides Deshaun I’ve said from the start I’m keeping Baker, but if you can get Deshaun you go get him within reason.

I don’t want to trade

Chubb Hunt Amari any of the o line

Mykes JOK Ward Newsome 

besides that I think I’d listen

Greddy was a name that could make sense for both sides. 3 First Baker and Greedy. I think that’s fair. 

It's going to take a lot more than Greedy to get a top 5 QB in his prime lol I would say 3 1sts, 2nd, 5th + Newsome and Baker

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Exactly, which makes me believe either 1) Watson approved it and/or the Texans have interest in potentially getting Baker in a trade and they would trade him inside the AFC to make that happen.

I’ve said it from the start Baker is something no one else can offer. He’s on his 5th year contract theyre not liable for anything else. He can compete with Davis Mills and if they decide not to resign him he can become a comp pick the next year once he resigns elsewhere. 

That’s what makes us unique from every other team. I do believe Baker has value. 

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’ve said it from the start Baker is something no one else can offer. He’s on his 5th year contract theyre not liable for anything else. He can compete with Davis Mills and if they decide not to resign him he can become a comp pick the next year once he resigns elsewhere. 

That’s what makes us unique from every other team. I do believe Baker has value. 

Right, Baker has value. Sam Bradford was traded by the Rams to Philly for a 2nd+4th. He was a former #1 overall pick with injuries and ups/downs just like Baker.