Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

14 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

This is a franchise-crippling contract. Yes, we will win the NFCN while he plays, but our team won't be able to improve via FA with that contract.

I disagree. 

So, new money, we're talking about $41m a year. That's below market rate. The hit is spread out. And yeah, there will be one post-Rodgers season where the cap hit will be bad. At that point certain players will be gone anyway as we retool. We keep Gary and Jaire and Stokes, etc. We won't lose any of our current young talent. Smith, Adams, Jones, maybe Bak, all gone but they'll be older by then already.

Pertaining to free agency... we'll be fine this year and next. I see over 100m currently that can be spread to future seasons next year. This year we need to extend Adams or Jaire or Amos to add someone, sure, but Rodgers is giving us almost maximum cap relief. 

Also - for the salary cap increase. Based on this free agency spending spree, it seems like GMs know something we don't. Could be bad teams making bad decisions but it could be something more.

So yeah, I've speculated a lot, but this is far from a "sky is falling" scenario, even if we all hoped it would be even more cost effective than it is.  

1 minute ago, VonKarman said:

Right. Rodgers is going to make more money, but whether it will "cripple" the franchise all depends on how it's structured, when it's paid out and what the NFL cap looks like when those payments are made. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What if Love isn't good? Then the FO is doing exactly what it should be. 

If Love isn't good, they should have traded Rodgers and started over. 

Better yet, they should have invited Rodgers to politely suck their **** this time last year and told him he could play out his remaining contract and then the franchise tag. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I disagree. 

So, new money, we're talking about $41m a year. That's below market rate. The hit is spread out. And yeah, there will be one post-Rodgers season where the cap hit will be bad. At that point certain players will be gone anyway as we retool. We keep Gary and Jaire and Stokes, etc. We won't lose any of our current young talent. Smith, Adams, Jones, maybe Bak, all gone but they'll be older by then already.

Pertaining to free agency... we'll be fine this year and next. I see over 100m currently that can be spread to future seasons next year. This year we need to extend Adams or Jaire or Amos to add someone, sure, but Rodgers is giving us almost maximum cap relief. 

Also - for the salary cap increase. Based on this free agency spending spree, it seems like GMs know something we don't. Could be bad teams making bad decisions but it could be something more.

So yeah, I've speculated a lot, but this is far from a "sky is falling" scenario, even if we all hoped it would be even more cost effective than it is.  

No, new money we are talking 50M a year, which is well above market rate. It's actually more than that, as he gets more than 100M in his first two years:

Remember, we are going to pay 20M to Jaire and 28M to Davante at least. We already kicked a lot of money with void years. We need Rodgers to play MVP level in the regular season AND in the postseason. He's our best shot, but our best shot ****s in the pants in PO, is turning 39 and is a freaking primadonna that never takes reponsability of his poor play but whines every time he doesn't have enough attention/help.

I've enjoyed as much as anyone watching him play, but this contract is crippling. Not only due to this huge figures, but also because we now have 0 leverage with Jaire and Davante. We are ****ed from 2023 onwards.

Just now, packfanfb said:

What Ross said. You have one "implosion" year where you eat all this money, win 3 games, then you draft Joe Burrow 2.0 (hopefully it's a good QB year). Then you start again. 

It's the only model that works, aside from the ol' "try to find a non-elite QB prospect that manages to defy the odds and become a super bowl caliber QB before his rookie contract expires and you lose him like Drew Brees from San Diego"

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Love isn't good, they should have traded Rodgers and started over. 

Better yet, they should have invited Rodgers to politely suck their **** this time last year and told him he could play out his remaining contract and then the franchise tag. 

If Rodgers was trending the way Favre was, I totally agree. We just saw the best 2 year stretch of QB play in NFL history. You ride that wave, the only way you don't is if you feel Love is a potential HOF caliber player too. 

2 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Not only due to this huge figures, but also because we now have 0 leverage with Jaire and Davante. We are ****ed from 2023 onwards.

Jaire and Davante know/knew this throughout the process.  GB needs cap relief from their contract extensions.