Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

I don't normally like Pat, I do find he sucks up to Rodgers too much. But he makes a valid point how come this deal is not being reported as what it is, a 5 year $186m contract with an AAV of $37.2m! For the media purposes they want to report it as a 3 year $150m deal, thus painting the narrative that it is actually a $50m year AAV. That just makes no sense other than for reporters to look good. 

Take for example Mahomes deal, that was reported as 10 year $450m mega deal, when reality is it is a 5 year $183m deal. He is not going to play the next 5 years with no signing bonus, that contract will get redone. 

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't normally like Pat, I do find he sucks up to Rodgers too much. But he makes a valid point how come this deal is not being reported as what it is, a 5 year $186m contract with an AAV of $37.2m! For the media purposes they want to report it as a 3 year $150m deal, thus painting the narrative that it is actually a $50m year AAV. That just makes no sense other than for reporters to look good. 

Take for example Mahomes deal, that was reported as 10 year $450m mega deal, when reality is it is a 5 year $183m deal. He is not going to play the next 5 years with no signing bonus, that contract will get redone. 

It's actually greater than 50m per, not less. It's 2/124. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Are you serious dude?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's actually greater than 50m per, not less. It's 2/124. 

That like saying Dak signed a 4 year $160m deal, $40m AAV but it pays him out $95 in the first two years so it actually 2 years at $95m. That's my issue the way the deal is being reported fits the narrative 

Just now, Brit Pack said:

That like saying Dak signed a 4 year $160m deal, $40m AAV but it pays him out $95 in the first two years so it actually 2 years at $95m. That's my issue the way the deal is being reported fits the narrative 

The last two years are dummy years, it's widely reported by now. Just on there to actually bring down the value and spread cap hits. He's not playing on them, the actual cash is crazy low and the cap hits crazy high. If by some chance he's playing 4 years from now, those will be redone. 

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are you serious dude?

GREEN BAY (NBC 26) — A week after he announced his return to the franchise, Aaron Rodgers has signed a four-year contract extension with the Green Bay Packers

Some news sites are reporting it as such - a five year deal. Other choose to report what he gets when he gets it, which is not normal when most deals are announced.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The last two years are dummy years, it's widely reported by now. Just on there to actually bring down the value and spread cap hits. He's not playing on them, the actual cash is crazy low and the cap hits crazy high. If by some chance he's playing 4 years from now, those will be redone. 

Almost all contracts back years are dummy years and players are either cut or extended

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Almost all contracts back years are dummy years and players are either cut or extended

Yeah, they don't retire and make you eat all the dead cap. You just need to take the L on this. Rodgers is getting 50 AAV, and actually more than that during the years he's actually playing. 

29 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

If you were his agent, what would you relay to the media?

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot of you guys are certain we will win another SB with Rodgers.  If you are that good at predicting the future can you tell what lottery numbers to pick next time?  Honestly...  smh

I'm not certain we win another SB with Rodgers but I'm not going to declare it a fact we won't because we haven't since 2010 like so many here are.  Past performance is not indicative of future results.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Yeah, they don't retire and make you eat all the dead cap. You just need to take the L on this. Rodgers is getting 50 AAV, and actually more than that during the years he's actually playing. 

It's all about how you want to look at it. I feel then report all deals in the same way. Look at Aaron Jones deal, he is no way making $20m next season. He signed for a reported 4year $48m deal, which in reality is a two year $20m deal with a dead cap hit of $9.5m. He aint seeing the last two years of his deal, he'll be either cut or extended. 

Again the years he is playing the cap hits are low. It all depends how you want to report it. The years he plays the cap hits are $33m AAV. 

It's all number shifting. If you want to take the dummy years it looks like a great deal. If you don;t want them it looks like a bad deal. If you want to strip it down to a two year deal it looks really bad. It's all just accounting tricks. Companies do it all the time. Just depends how you want to report it and which narrative it suits. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

GREEN BAY (NBC 26) — A week after he announced his return to the franchise, Aaron Rodgers has signed a four-year contract extension with the Green Bay Packers

Some news sites are reporting it as such - a five year deal. Other choose to report what he gets when he gets it, which is not normal when most deals are announced.

It's not a 5 year deal. Pretending this is anything other than a 3 year deal is just not being real here. 

This is functionally a 3 year/146,178,804 contract with cap hits of 28.5/31.5/40.5/45.5***

***We're paying the 45.5 the 4th year when he's off the team. 

• Like 2