Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not a 5 year deal. Pretending this is anything other than a 3 year deal is just not being real here. 

This is functionally a 3 year/146,178,804 contract with cap hits of 28.5/31.5/40.5/45.5***

***We're paying the 45.5 the 4th year when he's off the team. 

By then they will have some 2nd year highly drafted QB on the cheap. That’s how they are operating. This amount for QB play.

As long as they get that pick right it wouldn’t matter.

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

It's all about how you want to look at it. I feel then report all deals in the same way. Look at Aaron Jones deal, he is no way making $20m next season. He signed for a reported 4year $48m deal, which in reality is a two year $20m deal with a dead cap hit of $9.5m. He aint seeing the last two years of his deal, he'll be either cut or extended. 

Again the years he is playing the cap hits are low. It all depends how you want to report it. The years he plays the cap hits are $33m AAV. 

It's all number shifting. If you want to take the dummy years it looks like a great deal. If you don;t want them it looks like a bad deal. If you want to strip it down to a two year deal it looks really bad. It's all just accounting tricks. Companies do it all the time. Just depends how you want to report it and which narrative it suits. 

So why wouldn't we report on the likely to be earned money?

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This is so dumb. Literally any of you who likes Aaron Rodgers still I dislike. Biggest egomaniac in the history of the sport.

We are now a minimum of 5 years from winning a Super Bowl.

How they can expect to pay Rodgers this much money and compete for anything other than divisional crowns I have no idea.

The best thing that can happen for the Packers now is an unexpected series of embarrassing losses that take the life out of the team and forces Rodgers to retire or demand a trade after this year.

Idiocy.

Come on, Outpost.  tell us how you really feel.  lol  

I find it incredible that a fan would hope the team loses because they have an unhealthy distain for one particular player.

I’m not as upset as I was for a bit there.

13.4% has never been done in history, not even when the Niners cheated and paid Young 13%.

But it’s not impossible IF WE ARE AGGRESSIVE.

Throw even a second round 2023 draft pick out in a trade or stretch things a little further with an in-season acquisition and we can do it.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

By then they will have some 2nd year highly drafted QB on the cheap. That’s how they are operating. This amount for QB play.

As long as they get that pick right it wouldn’t matter.

And if Rodgers isn't ready to leave? Or is pissy that we drafted a QB in round 1 and wants to take his ball and go home?

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The last two years are dummy years, it's widely reported by now. Just on there to actually bring down the value and spread cap hits. He's not playing on them, the actual cash is crazy low and the cap hits crazy high. If by some chance he's playing 4 years from now, those will be redone. 

A more detailed view of the packers options with this contract:

As I look at it, the way this deal actually works is that in year 2 (2023) the team has to exercise the option to authorize the year 4 bonus (2025 $30M).  This first option in year 2 is fully guaranteed.  In Year 3, the team has to exercise the option for the year 5 bonus (2026, $30M).  This second option is guaranteed for injury only.

IF THEY DON'T exercise the bonus(es) - those $30M bonuses in year 4 or year 5 would accelerate into year 2 or year 3 base salary, turning his $31M cap in year 2 into a $61M cap hit, or his $40M cap hit in year 3 into a $70M cap hit.

So, since 2023 option money is guaranteed, they will certainly exercise that one, which authorizes the 2025 compensation and keep the 2023 cap number at $31M.  They could choose not to authorize the 2024 option, which would make his Cap hit in 2024 $70M, his cap hit in 2025 $59M, and leave only $8M dead in 2026 if they move on.

I THINK (but less certain): If they chose to simply move on in 2024, they would have a $24M dead cap in '24, $51M dead in 2025, and no dead cap in 2026.

Now if he retires, team owes the signing bonus cap portion, and the option bonus cap portions for the future years.  Team can recollect on the signing bonus, but I'm not sure about the option bonus.

Just now, Pugger said:

Come on, Outpost.  tell us how you really feel.  lol  

I find it incredible that a fan would hope the team loses because they have an unhealthy distain for one particular player.

Pugger check yourself.

I have never hoped the Packers would lose, and I never said that. You have this nasty habit of putting words in my mouth and I wish you’d stop.

I believe it would be the best thing. I don’t want it to happen, never said I did. In McCarthy’s final year I was one of a very few who never once hoped we would lose games. In the Brett Hundley year it was the same thing. I have never, would never hope for a Packer loss, and you should feel bad for suggesting it because your reading comprehension isn’t great.

It gets old.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

So why wouldn't we report on the likely to be earned money?

Cos no deal is reported in that way. Campbell signed a 5 year $50m deal, you really think in 5 years time, at 33 years old Campbell will be playing on that deal?

I just used the same example for Aaron Jones, did anyone think he will be playing for $20m next season? All deals are good for the team up front with funny money at the back. 

The Packers are keeping a legitimate Super Bowl squad in tact for at least another two years, in a weakened NFC, while holding on to some of the league's best talent at QB, WR, LT, RB, CB, OLB, and DT. And supplementing it by retaining pieces like Campbell, Smith, and hopefully Douglas, all while having almost all of their draft capital and then some. The cap nightmare people were sold on for 2022 which wouldn't allow them to field as good of a roster as they did in 2021, simply did not come to fruition. Yet fans are so eager to take a step back and not go for it. When the Packers didn't "go for it" in the past, and refused to take on future cap pain, fans bemoaned not aggressively going for championships in a contending window. It's like the fanbase and the front office have completely switched places. Never seen anything like it and it honesty makes little sense. Why do fans care about the cap if the front office clearly isn't worried about it? One thing I do know, this place will be buzzing on the eve of week 1 in a way it wouldn't have been had the Packers decided to take a step back this year.

The cap goes up, and until the NFL guarantees contracts entirely, there will always be maneuvering that can be done. And there's plenty of can kicking that a team can partake in until the window closes. If the Packers find a cheap successor to Rodgers they might not even have to stop competing for championships for more than a year once he's gone. And if they don't find a suitable successor it will be the perfect time to pay the cap bills. Until then, you keep going for it. It's that simple.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Cos no deal is reported in that way. Campbell signed a 5 year $50m deal, you really think in 5 years time, at 33 years old Campbell will be playing on that deal?

I just used the same example for Aaron Jones, did anyone think he will be playing for $20m next season? All deals are good for the team up front with funny money at the back. 

Capbell's deal being reported like that is stupid as well. 

Just now, Brit Pack said:

But all deals are reported in that manner!!!! No deal is reported in reality to be earned. That's my point

Sure they are, a huge number are reported as "X is the contract, with it likely to be Y over the course of 3 years" is how most things are reported.