2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you dumped him now, then used the money, you'd have to make corresponding moves in the summer to do deebo, Bosa and the rookies.

So the question really is why they haven't made those corresponding moves now if they were interested in free agency. 

Same thing, different order

My guess is they have targeted people. If they agree to terms, they will make one of the other moves they have queued up

Well let's hope the last thing you said proves to be true. Because right now this is not making any damn sense.

Yes, holding on to Jimmy doesn't hurt anything. As Forge said, either they cut him now and we lose some space b/c of his injury guarantee, or they do it in a couple months and save that money. Either way the savings wouldn't be spent on FA.. 

The QB carousel has gone about the worst way possible for us, might as well hope some team will eventually want him 🤷‍♂️😂

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, adamq said:

Yes, holding on to Jimmy doesn't hurt anything. As Forge said, either they cut him now and we lose some space b/c of his injury guarantee, or they do it in a couple months and save that money. Either way the savings wouldn't be spent on FA.. 

The QB carousel has gone about the worst way possible for us, might as well hope some team will eventually want him 🤷‍♂️😂

I'm sorry, but I can't get behind that one bit. There is no way holding on to someone with a 27M salary is NOT impacting free agency or making it more difficult. It is just MUCH easier clearing up 19M right now. It gives you more options and you don't have to worry about making certain restructures that can impact you later down the line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I’m not understanding how Mayfield would even be considered by the Colts considering how the Wentz thing went down. I mean, if Wentz was an idiot, I can’t see Mayfield being any less an idiot.

See the source image

Hey! Hey! Enough of the piling on! Baker is the best QB they've had in 32 years. Now, they want a womanizer, I guess. And guaranteed his huge contract, too. Seems exceptionally foolish to me....of course, I am biased! 

I feel like the only way we get lucky with the Jimmy situation is if Seattle wants Baker and then Indy trades for Jimmy, but if Indy gets Baker than we are screwed again. I don’t think Carolina wants Jimmy. I think we are going to have to cut him. I know there were rumors that now Matt Ryan could be traded to Indy. We will always be the last choice and I think a lot of that has to do with his surgery timing. He didn’t help anyone with that or better yet, he did it on purpose so he could be released and go wherever he wants. I really hope John has a plan! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sorry, but I can't get behind that one bit. There is no way holding on to someone with a 27M salary is NOT impacting free agency or making it more difficult. It is just MUCH easier clearing up 19M right now. It gives you more options and you don't have to worry about making certain restructures that can impact you later down the line.

They map all of this stuff out way ahead of time-

Cutting Jimmy now opens 18M in space

9M is needed for the rookies

~4M empty to make moves during the season

What impact player are they going to sign with 5M?

Waiting until he's healthy at least gives us an extra 7.5M, or somebody might give up a pick for him before then

Edited by adamq
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, adamq said:

They map all of this stuff out way ahead of time-

Cutting Jimmy now opens 18M in space

9M is needed for the rookies

~4M empty to make moves during the season

What impact player are they going to sign with 5M?

Waiting until he's healthy at least gives us an extra 7.5M, or somebody might give up a pick for him before then

Because 18M in space RIGHT NOW is more important than 27M in July or whenever they decide to release him. The 9M for the rookie (not even sure this is correct at this point) can be figured out later down the down. If you release Jimmy and he signs elsewhere, that 8M will be freed up right away. Having cap space in July when all or damn near all free agents have signed means absolutely nothing. It's just not worth doing all this for a freaking 3rd rounder AT BEST. We may be looking at at a 4th rounder or even lower at this point. 

So no, it's not accurate to say they only have 5M to sign from Jimmy's release. They will have the full 18M and then for the rookies they can figure out how to create space at that point. Again, the timing matters here. 

44 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agree 100% …..our Super Bowl window is now so playing games with Jimmy and his contract when we can sign player right now is completely juvenile and asinine.

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because 18M in space RIGHT NOW is more important than 27M in July or whenever they decide to release him. The 9M for the rookie (not even sure this is correct at this point) can be figured out later down the down. If you release Jimmy and he signs elsewhere, that 8M will be freed up right away. Having cap space in July when all or damn near all free agents have signed means absolutely nothing. It's just not worth doing all this for a freaking 3rd rounder AT BEST. We may be looking at at a 4th rounder or even lower at this point. 

So no, it's not accurate to say they only have 5M to sign from Jimmy's release. They will have the full 18M and then for the rookies they can figure out how to create space at that point. Again, the timing matters here. 

The money has to come from somewhere, you can't just rob Peter to pay Paul forever. If you cut Jimmy and spent 15m on Gilmore, that means Deebo or Bosa won't get extended and you risk losing them or even a holdout.

At this point we are just repeating ourselves over and over again, I'll just stay out of any Jimmy talk until something actually happens 

Edited by adamq

2 minutes ago, adamq said:

The money has to come from somewhere, you can't just rob Peter to pay Paul forever. If you cut Jimmy and spent 15m on Gilmore, that means Deebo or Bosa won't get extended and you risk losing them or even a holdout.

At this point we are just repeating ourselves over and over again, I'll just stay out of any Jimmy talk until something actually happens. 

But signing Gilmore would not require all 15M in cap space in year one. The 8M would return to us when Jimmy signs so the extensions can be done afterwards WITH that 8M on hand. 

Trust me, my deadline was a week ago and I did not want to talk about #10 any longer! But the team just won't move on...........So here we are lol.

• Like 1

Don't see any more big moves to be made at this point anyway. Danielle Hunter is a beast but only played 7 games over the last 2 seasons. We missed out on Scherff and Jones. Allen Robinson is going to be the 2nd or 3rd option behind Kupp, competing with Woods whereas with us he'd be the fourth option. 

I'm not sure our cap situation but we could probably still re-sign guys like Key and/or sign Mathieu without making any other moves for now

• Like 1

If the Rams replace Williams with Gilmore, I will be so so so mad lol. 

I'm curious to see what the market is for Gilmore and what he's been waiting for. Pretty much all the top corners that were free agents have signed now minus him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Don't see any more big moves to be made at this point anyway. Danielle Hunter is a beast but only played 7 games over the last 2 seasons. We missed out on Scherff and Jones. Allen Robinson is going to be the 2nd or 3rd option behind Kupp, competing with Woods whereas with us he'd be the fourth option. 

I'm not sure our cap situation but we could probably still re-sign guys like Key and/or sign Mathieu without making any other moves for now

I personally don't want us to make any "big" moves. Just need to get some o-line depth or a possible starter at guard, please and thank you John! I wouldn't mind getting Mathieu, but I don't think John and co want to go that route or else it would have been done. I think we will get depth pieces, nothing flashy. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If the Rams replace Williams with Gilmore, I will be so so so mad lol. 

I'm curious to see what the market is for Gilmore and what he's been waiting for. Pretty much all the top corners that were free agents have signed now minus him. 

Still a lot of decent corners out there

Stephon Gilmore Tavon Young Joe Haden Kyle Fuller Chris Harris Patrick Peterson Bryce Callahan Jason Verrett Kevin King Xavier Rhodes Steven Nelson Jimmy Smith

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Still a lot of decent corners out there

Stephon Gilmore Tavon Young Joe Haden Kyle Fuller Chris Harris Patrick Peterson Bryce Callahan Jason Verrett Kevin King Xavier Rhodes Steven Nelson Jimmy Smith

Wouldn't mind getting Steven Nelson, I think he could play either outside or inside.

• Like 1