Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

Mullins carries a clip board with the best of them, but his starting experience is limited and not all that successful. He really offers nothing to the development of a young QB, or as a place holder starter.

When it comes to the development of a young Quarterback, I don’t think it’s as straightforward as just signing a guy who’s had a few starts. Mullins has been in OConnell’s offense for 2 seasons now, and I think looking at a QB’s preparation process is going to be more important than how successful they have been on the field.

As far as a placeholder QB, I’m not sure how worthwhile that is to look for. Andy Dalton or Gardner Minshew are probably better than Mullens, but they aren’t taking us to the playoffs either.

Not that it’s a huge issue to move on from Mullins if someone is out there they like better. I’m just not sure it’s overly meaningful.

Edited by Worm Guts

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

When it comes to the development of a young Quarterback, I don’t think it’s as straightforward as just signing a guy who’s had a few starts. Mullins has been in OConnell’s offense for 2 seasons now, and I think looking at a QB’s preparation process is going to be more important than how successful they have been on the field.

As far as a placeholder QB, I’m not sure how worthwhile that is to look for. Andy Dalton or Gardner Minshew are probably better than Mullens, but they aren’t taking us to the playoffs either.

Not that it’s a huge issue to move on from Mullins if someone is out there they like better. I’m just not sure it’s overly meaningful.

Oh, if the Vikings don't make the playoffs this season and Kirk leaves, I wouldn't expect them to go to the playoffs in 2024, and most likely 2025.  Starting a rookie QB, even with the talent on the Vikings, doesn't translate to playoff appearances 90% of the time.  It takes time to develop a QB in the NFL if you play him or let him sit and learn (which is my preference)  But if you start a rookie and he misses time due to injury, it's good to have an experienced QB on the team who won't embarrass you on the field or be seen as a threat to the rookie when he is ready to play again. QB's like Dalton and Minshew know what their role is and they won't divide the locker room. I fear what would happen if Mullins had to play.  I think he would be a liability on the field, and likely frustrate his teammates. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Oh, if the Vikings don't make the playoffs this season and Kirk leaves, I wouldn't expect them to go to the playoffs in 2024, and most likely 2025.  Starting a rookie QB, even with the talent on the Vikings, doesn't translate to playoff appearances 90% of the time.  It takes time to develop a QB in the NFL if you play him or let him sit and learn (which is my preference)  But if you start a rookie and he misses time due to injury, it's good to have an experienced QB on the team who won't embarrass you on the field or be seen as a threat to the rookie when he is ready to play again. QB's like Dalton and Minshew know what their role is and they won't divide the locker room. I fear what would happen if Mullins had to play.  I think he would be a liability on the field, and likely frustrate his teammates. 

If Cousins isn't in the plans past this year what do you think you could get for him prior to the trade deadline? The Jets are desperate. They also don't have the cap space to get him at this point. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If Cousins isn't in the plans past this year what do you think you could get for him prior to the trade deadline? The Jets are desperate. 

At 35 and probably 2-3 good years left in him, probably a 2nd and late round pick.

Although Stafford, Bradford, Wilson, Watson and others have gone for more, I think there is an "unclutch" stigma around Kirk, even though he's easily a top 15 QB in the league.

The Vikings' passing game has a chance to be astounding. Cousins has thrown for 1,075 yards in three games, with nine touchdowns and two interceptions. Jefferson might be the best player in the game, Jordan Addison is on schedule to be a star, T.J. Hockenson is putting up big numbers and Osborn is a quality fourth option.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-10-reasons-to-feel-hopeful-jim-souhan/600307206/?fbclid=IwAR1fWz4ir9lGZp0I9Hfnfzp7hGfXhEdBzBzSzqJrnvmyP5LIR0acywTkoyU

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

If only they could get it done when it mattered 

that's sort of a foolish outlook, as the whole game matters. not just the last drive or last play.

what if Hock didn't fumble? Evans gets a clean int? heck, if Jefferson didn't fumble out of the endzone last week?

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

that's sort of a foolish outlook, as the whole game matters. not just the last drive or last play.

what if Hock didn't fumble? Evans gets a clean int? heck, if Jefferson didn't fumble out of the endzone last week?

That's part of when it matters.  Less yards would be fine if it meant they didn't have to drive down the field twice to get a score because one scoring chance was fumbled away.

But all of that would matter less if they scored too take the lead late. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

But all of that would matter less if they scored too take the lead late. 

yep. if they had scored earlier in the game, Chargers would have been going for it on 4th down because they HAD to. then they get denied, Kirko is doing kneeldowns, and everyone's talking about what a great game it was.

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yep. if they had scored earlier in the game, Chargers would have been going for it on 4th down because they HAD to. then they get denied, Kirko is doing kneeldowns, and everyone's talking about what a great game it was.

Off topic,  but it's nice that the defense was able to get a stop instead of letting them run the clock out 

• Like 2

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was asked about a potential Cousins trade to the New York Jets and shut it down:

“There’s nothing to that right now. But the Vikings are 0-3 and they made a decision where it certainly looks like they’re going in a different direction than Kirk Cousins next year. That’s the one that, honestly, is a logical fit for both sides, if the Vikings want to do that. At that point they’re punting on their season. Who are they turning it over to? Nick Mullens? What are you doing if you’re the Vikings? It would send a bad message if you send Kirk Cousins away at this point in time.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/25/vikings-trade-kirk-cousins-jets-adam-schefter/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2HsYAqXW8Zx1OA3qtd-zHMPk-ievlNp51F5M3bG4Nj0mwgoNDrbSjcIwQ

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter was asked about a potential Cousins trade to the New York Jets and shut it down:

“There’s nothing to that right now. But the Vikings are 0-3 and they made a decision where it certainly looks like they’re going in a different direction than Kirk Cousins next year. That’s the one that, honestly, is a logical fit for both sides, if the Vikings want to do that. At that point they’re punting on their season. Who are they turning it over to? Nick Mullens? What are you doing if you’re the Vikings? It would send a bad message if you send Kirk Cousins away at this point in time.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/25/vikings-trade-kirk-cousins-jets-adam-schefter/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2HsYAqXW8Zx1OA3qtd-zHMPk-ievlNp51F5M3bG4Nj0mwgoNDrbSjcIwQ

This.