Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Matt Daniels tipped his hat to Cousins for emphasizing the process of establishing an accomplished NFL career:

"He addressed the entire team with an unbelievable message about what he defines as success, what it takes to be in this league and, basically, what you have to do to stay in it. It was a great message."

Receiver K.J. Osborn also appreciated the opportunity to hear from Cousins in a group setting:

"I think it was huge, man. I think one of the biggest messages was just 'Be a pro.' Everyone has their own different process. As a rookie, you're kind of coming in wide-eyed, trying to learn everything that's going on, and I think Kirk was able to give them – and us – a process of what he's done to have success in this league."

"Sometimes you may not get a chance to see that in him unless you're able to spend a lot of 1-on-1 time with him. I think it was really cool that he was able to share that throughout the team, to show them how much he prepares, how serious he is about his craft.

"Like I've said before, seeing Kirk and what he does every day, it makes me want to elevate my game, as well."

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-teammates-pin-drop-quiet-for-kirk-cousins-speech

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I just don't understand Stafford over Kirk. Especially now. Dak and Watson, while I disagree, I get it from an age/athleticism standpoint, but Stafford is cooked, imo.

They're probably still hanging on from 2021, because I agree.  Personally, I thought Kirk was arguably better than Stafford even then, but you win a Super Bowl and you get elevated. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Kirk is #42 on the NFL top 100 list. Should be the 6th ranked QB based on what's been announced. I'm not sure when this voting happened, or if the netflix show influenced voting, but it appears last season was a big one for Kirk amongst his peers.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Kirk is #42 on the NFL top 100 list. Should be the 6th ranked QB based on what's been announced. I'm not sure when this voting happened, or if the netflix show influenced voting, but it appears last season was a big one for Kirk amongst his peers.

Ballots are usually handed out around the same time as pro bowl ballots. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

I'm getting verrrrryyyy close to being convinced that Kirk Cousins is the 2nd-best QB in Vikings' history. 

Save injury, he'll likely surpass Tommy Kramer for #2 in wins, passing yards and TDs this season and could, depending on how the season goes, end up #1 in Vikings history in game-winning drives, currently 3 behind Kramer and Fran. 

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm getting verrrrryyyy close to being convinced that Kirk Cousins is the 2nd-best QB in Vikings' history. 

Save injury, he'll likely surpass Tommy Kramer for #2 in wins, passing yards and TDs this season and could, depending on how the season goes, end up #1 in Vikings history in game-winning drives, currently 3 behind Kramer and Fran. 

Are you forgetting the immortal Gary Cuazzo??

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

No, I wasn't old enough to watch him, but I am old enough to remember the immortal Tony Adams that I mentioned a few days ago, who led us through the scab era with a stellar 0-3 performance. 

The main thing I remember about the Cuazzo era is that in many games the defense outscored the offense!