Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

Werent there some people implying that Jackson wasn't getting signed because he was black? Or was it more of them thinking he was being blacklisted for not having an agent?

There is a lot of minority QBs getting paid a lot of money now with Hurts and Jackson getting big deals. There's got to be the most minority QBs rank in the top 15 or 20 as ever

37 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Werent there some people implying that Jackson wasn't getting signed because he was black? Or was it more of them thinking he was being blacklisted for not having an agent?

There is a lot of minority QBs getting paid a lot of money now with Hurts and Jackson getting big deals. There's got to be the most minority QBs rank in the top 15 or 20 as ever

There was never anything to suggest that Jackson’s race was a factor. And he wasn’t being blacklisted because of his lack of an agent, but his lack of an agent created a number of issues for him. And with an agent, he likely gets that contract two years ago. 

• Like 2

The Vikings didn't bring in anybody to challenge Kirk Cousins, re-signing backup Nick Mullens and drafting a developmental quarterback in the fifth round: BYU's Jaren Hall. If Cousins thrives this year and the Vikings do, too, they could well get a new deal done before he hits the open market again. Still, the possibility of this being his last year in purple is real.

Cousins: “I don’t think you go there. I just think it’s healthiest to be present."

https://www.wxow.com/sports/vikings-finale-cousins-on-expiring-deal-not-going-there/article_09d44f5b-beba-5f8f-86ca-aea4ea421aa4.html?fbclid=IwAR31oyIKDTP61veEM2-voKjIejfPl7pYP6hdr0X9xZa1h-pRiLDJ_3eLJAI

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

There was never anything to suggest that Jackson’s race was a factor. And he wasn’t being blacklisted because of his lack of an agent, but his lack of an agent created a number of issues for him. And with an agent, he likely gets that contract two years ago. 

It was definitely risky playing out his old contract without the guarantee of a new one but did he end up losing out on much in the end without having an agent?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

It was definitely risky playing out his old contract without the guarantee of a new one but did he end up losing out on much in the end without having an agent?

It's hard for me to say that Jackson would've gotten a better contract if he had an agent.  An agent might have gotten him something similar in less time.  But, I can't say that Jackson's contract strategy was wrong...the results speak for themselves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

It's hard for me to say that Jackson would've gotten a better contract if he had an agent.  An agent might have gotten him something similar in less time.  But, I can't say that Jackson's contract strategy was wrong...the results speak for themselves. 

Lamar waited 2 years for a massive contract. Josh Allen made over $40MM more during that same period and will be back at the negotiating table before Lamar will. It absolutely was a mistake for him to not get an agent. Also, what endorsements can you think of that Lamar has? He doesn't have a shoe or apparrel deal that I'm aware of. A good agent would have had 8 figures of endorsements lined up for him after he won MVP. Lamar is marketable but he doesn't know how to market himself. He doesn't have those connections. Sure he got a great contract in the end. But he was ALWAYS going to get that contract. He could have had it sooner, with an opportunity to get to Free Agence again before he turned 30. The results do speak for themselves: Lamar has left tens of millions of dollars on the table.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Lamar waited 2 years for a massive contract. Josh Allen made over $40MM more during that same period and will be back at the negotiating table before Lamar will. It absolutely was a mistake for him to not get an agent. Also, what endorsements can you think of that Lamar has? He doesn't have a shoe or apparrel deal that I'm aware of. A good agent would have had 8 figures of endorsements lined up for him after he won MVP. Lamar is marketable but he doesn't know how to market himself. He doesn't have those connections. Sure he got a great contract in the end. But he was ALWAYS going to get that contract. He could have had it sooner, with an opportunity to get to Free Agence again before he turned 30. The results do speak for themselves: Lamar has left tens of millions of dollars on the table.

I thought we were talking about his contract.  You are, of course, correct when adding in endorsements.   But the results of the contract are pretty good. 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:07 PM, Captain Relax said:

I thought we were talking about his contract.  You are, of course, correct when adding in endorsements.   But the results of the contract are pretty good. 

He also lost a bunch in interest on the signing bonus money that he could have earned by signing it several months ago.  Imagine if he signed the contract a year ago, when the interest rate was half of what it is now. 

I believe that Jackson would have had his extension sooner if he had an agent, but he would have been earning less money on that extension.  Where would he be if he signed a top of the market deal two years ago?  He would have had that nice signing bonus money, but he would have still been playing out the rookie contract before the extension years started this year.

Whatever the case, Jackson did just fine for himself.  He has nothing to regret and doesn't have to give 3% (or whatever) of those hundreds of millions to an agent.  That is a lot of bank he isn't giving to an agent.  It is true that an agent would have helped him get endorsement deals, but that only matters if Jackson is interested in doing endorsements.

57 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I believe that Jackson would have had his extension sooner if he had an agent, but he would have been earning less money on that extension.  Where would he be if he signed a top of the market deal two years ago?  He would have had that nice signing bonus money, but he would have still been playing out the rookie contract before the extension years started this year.

Whatever the case, Jackson did just fine for himself.  He has nothing to regret and doesn't have to give 3% (or whatever) of those hundreds of millions to an agent.  That is a lot of bank he isn't giving to an agent.  It is true that an agent would have helped him get endorsement deals, but that only matters if Jackson is interested in doing endorsements.

Where would he be if he signed a top of the market deal two years ago? Two years closer to signing his next top of the market deal...likely at or before his Age 30 season. He also would have had the opportunity to put that money to work for him. 

The 3% number is a misnomer. That's the max an agent can charge. Players can negotiate for a lesser percentage; and most of the top agents take superstar clients for less because of the prestige and the sheer dollar amounts their contracts come in at. 

Agents also have a wealth of experience that can benefit the structure of a contract. And if Lamar was so concerned about getting this huge contract, I can't imagine he wouldn't have been interested in procuring large endorsement deals. 

At the end of the day, it's his choice. Doesn't mean it can't be criticized. 

• Like 1