Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I have no idea what kind of endorsement money he's made.

Even if it's a million from the pizza chain and others (doubtful), it's just pocket change.

I wonder if he has those sponsors pay directly to his foundation? He wouldn't lose a sizeable portion to taxes, and they can claim it as a charitable deduction.

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

And there's the potential for him to still make, what, $100 million additional? More?

His family is set for how many generations, lol? 

Managed well it could last forever.  But we know that many people have an amazing ability to squander things.  It could be gone with any one generation including the current one. 

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Managed well it could last forever.  But we know that many people have an amazing ability to squander things.  It could be gone with any one generation including the current one. 

Considering Kirk drove the same mini-van he had in college throughout his Washington days, I don't think he's in danger of squandering it. Although if he keeps having to buy CHAINZZZZ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

I won't be surprised by a 2-3 year extension, and eventual retirement as a Viking.

I'm hard-pressed to see how he's starting for the Vikings beyond 2024.  I've always been okay with him, but I personally think it's time, especially come 2025 (when he turns 37), to thank him for his service as the Vikings' QB and wish him well on his way somewhere else or into retirement.  If they magically somehow make a run in the playoffs this season, that could change, but I'm not really that interested in investing any more time in a guy who, at this point, is really just a placeholder as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by swede700

Just now, swede700 said:

I'm hard-pressed to see how he's starting for the Vikings beyond 2024.  I've always been okay with him, but I personally think it's time, especially come 2025 (when he turns 37), to thank him for his service as the Vikings' QB and wish him well on his way somewhere else or into retirement.  If they magically somehow make a run in the playoffs this season, that could change, but I'm not really that interested in investing any more time in a guy who, at this point, is really just a placeholder as far as I'm concerned. 

I think that's a fair take. I just think he's good enough, with even a decent D, to win in the playoffs....making it very hard to go to a rookie.

• Like 2

With the dearth of QB talent in the NFC, Cousins and a solid defense can definitely contend for a Super Bowl appearance. Whether they can win if they get there is another question.

The class of the NFC this season will be the Eagles, 49ers and Vikings. Again. We'll just have to hope that Flores can cook up a middle of the road defense.

Edited by wcblack34

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

I think that's a fair take. I just think he's good enough, with even a decent D, to win in the playoffs....making it very hard to go to a rookie.

I agree, with this D, however, I just don't see it happening.  He is what he is at this point, which is a very good QB, but not one who can carry a team on his back...which is fine.  He brought stability to the QB position here, which we haven't had in almost 20 yrs, even longer if you don't consider Daunte's short time as necessarily stable. 

With a good defense, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl with, but I don't see this defense being good until at least 2025, if not longer.  The offense will certainly be fine, but that alone isn't enough to win a SB.  If you have Mahomes at QB, you can win a SB with a competent defense.  But, with a QB like Cousins, you need a defense that is more than just competent.    

• Like 2

Cousins was looking for a deal that would keep him in Minnesota for three more seasons, and was even willing to take a discount, Star Tribune reporters Ben Goessling and Andrew Krammer revealed on the Access Vikings podcast in March.

Instead, the Vikings turned him down, opting for a contract restructure that freed up $16 million in cap space for one last run with Cousins before a potential pivot elsewhere at quarterback for the first time since 2018.

“The sense I’ve gotten is that they didn’t want to commit as long as what he was looking for. They wanted something shorter, he wanted something longer. My understanding is that 2025 was the issue,” Goessling said. “The question of how long would everyone guarantee it for. I think he wanted ’25, they were like ‘well, we don’t want to commit that long.’ He’d be 37 before the 2025 season so it gets to be later in the game than you want to fully guarantee a quarterback deal.”

Krammer added that Cousins was willing to take a discount despite an inflated quarterback market that saw New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones garner a deal worth over $40 million a year.

“I had also heard that he wasn’t asking for $40 million,” Krammer added. “He wasn’t asking for that much, in terms of what Daniel Jones got, who is obviously much younger but much less accomplished. Cousins’ camp was kind of surprised I guess, from what I heard, at the Vikings not jumping or at least accepting what they were asking for."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-draft-news-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR3tchJnZZtvsIThZl9YWTgtChi8Tf8RWtuF0DuENqQyWfxynHaVbtJUKI8

Kwesi ain't no pushover in negotiations.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

cousins1.jpg

Watson is 27, Jackson 26 and Murray 25, while Cousins is 34.  That's the difference. 

Sosa's a moron...it's no wonder no one wants to talk to him. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4