Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

On 3/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, Ozzy said:

How can they draft a QB when all the good ones will be gone by their selection in the 1st round?  Unless they think Hendon Hooker is elite and I absolutely do not think that.

I would love to get Lamar Jackson, Kirk is physically limited.  Sure Lamar gets hurt and Kirk takes hits/stays healthy but where has that got the team?  One playoff win?  I guess Lamar is in that same boat really with poor playoff record as well....  But the upside is there, also Lamar is 9 years younger than Kirk with far more long term upside than Kirk.  

No way it happens but I would not mind a future at QB compared to Cousins who probably only has a few good years left.  Pair Lamar with the best WR in the game and two solid TEs and potentially a good run game, would not be the worst thing in the world but again will never happen.

Would be interesting how Lamar would look with a WR like Jefferson.  Has Lamar ever played with a great WR?  No, Marquise Brown is just good and all the best receivers Lamar plays with are his TEs usually.  Would be curious how he looks as a passer passing to Justin.  

Jefferson would be very upset with Lamar just like Brown was. No WR wants to play with Lamar especially someone like Jefferson. He would. I h rather have a guy like Kirk who runs the plays how they are drawn up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Not to mention Baltimore has been one of the most run-heavy teams in the league since drafting Lamar.

2022: 3rd (50.18%)
2021: 11th (43.63%)
2020: 1st (55.04%)
2019: 1st (54.07%)
2018: 3rd (47.74%)

Are there stats on how many of those runs were called in as pass plays and ended up being a run when the QB took off on a pass play?  I great many of Jackson's run are called in as run plays for him, but there are also a significant number of his runs that were on passing plays.  That somewhat skews the percentages. 

From what I have seen of Baltimore, Jackson has great arm strength.  He all too often fails to place the ball in the right place for his WRs. That would drive some people nuts.  On the other hand, his running is electric, which more than makes up for it to this point in his career.

Given Jackson's style, his career will likely not be as long as if he was a better pocket passer, but I still think he has more career left than Kirk Cousins even while thinking that he won't be as good as Cousins once his age causes his legs to betray him.

For the nth time - Lamar Jackson is statistically one of the best passers from the pocket in the league and has been since his MVP season. The injuries that have everyone concerned about his longevity have been sustained from pass plays in the pocket.

I challenge anyone who reads this to find a rushing play where Jackson has taken a big or dangerous hit.

Other players with more significant injury histories: Joe Burrow, DeShaun Watson, Kyler Murray, Jimmy Garappolo, Ryan Tannehill.

• Like 2

To be clear, when I mentioned Jackson's legs beginning to betray him, I was not talking about injury, I was talking about athletic ability naturally waning with age.  Running ability declines far more quickly than ability to read a defense and deliver the ball as a pocket passer.

As far as whether Jackson is an elite passer, anyone can believe that if they want to believe it.  I have seen the referenced stats and don't deny them.  I have watched Jackson play and personally think he is nowhere near elite as a passer.  He certainly has the arm strength, but there is a lot more to being an elite passer than being able to throw the ball hard.

Beyond that, I agree that it hardly matters from a Vikings perspective and therefore has little to do with Kirk Cousins. I believe Kirk's more immediate threat is likely going to come from a draft pick. It would be great if the Vikings can draft a replacement for Kirk, but if they can't I am very happy to have Kirk as the QB.  Any drafted replacement doesn't likely take Kirk's job this year as long as the Vikings are alive in the playoff race and Kirk remains healthy.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

To be clear, when I mentioned Jackson's legs beginning to betray him, I was not talking about injury, I was talking about athletic ability naturally waning with age.  Running ability declines far more quickly than ability to read a defense and deliver the ball as a pocket passer.

As far as whether Jackson is an elite passer, anyone can believe that if they want to believe it.  I have seen the referenced stats and don't deny them.  I have watched Jackson play and personally think he is nowhere near elite as a passer.  He certainly has the arm strength, but there is a lot more to being an elite passer than being able to throw the ball hard.

Beyond that, I agree that it hardly matters from a Vikings perspective and therefore has little to do with Kirk Cousins. I believe Kirk's more immediate threat is likely going to come from a draft pick. It would be great if the Vikings can draft a replacement for Kirk, but if they can't I am very happy to have Kirk as the QB.  Any drafted replacement doesn't likely take Kirk's job this year as long as the Vikings are alive in the playoff race and Kirk remains healthy.

Fair enough. I disagree with you about Lamar Jackson's ability as a passer, and have also watched him play a lot. The quality of receiving options and the offensive design have done him no favors and he's still been productive. He's got more than just a strong arm. He's creative, throws off platform and from different arm angles, maneuvers in the pocket so well, leads receivers. He's also only 26 years old with loads of time to improve his game.

In terms of the Vikings and Cousins - I agree. It's not something that that can happen. I just get irritated by the continued criticism of Lamar Jackson's ability as a passing QB. I am and have been in favor of keeping Cousins this year, and potentially extending him next year depending on how the draft unfolds and their ability to find a suitable long term replacement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Since we continue to discuss something that is, objectively and practically, impossible...we should just trade for Patrick Mahomes and see if Miami will throw in Tyreek Hill for a 2032 7th Rounder. 

Geez lighten up - what else is there to talk about?

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The quality of receiving options and the offensive design have done him no favors and he's still been productive.

The run/pass splits I posted were not intended as a slight about Jackson. Greg Roman certainly did that offense no favors and the front office didn't either with the WR talent around him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Fair enough. I disagree with you about Lamar Jackson's ability as a passer, and have also watched him play a lot. The quality of receiving options and the offensive design have done him no favors and he's still been productive. He's got more than just a strong arm. He's creative, throws off platform and from different arm angles, maneuvers in the pocket so well, leads receivers. He's also only 26 years old with loads of time to improve his game.

In terms of the Vikings and Cousins - I agree. It's not something that that can happen. I just get irritated by the continued criticism of Lamar Jackson's ability as a passing QB. I am and have been in favor of keeping Cousins this year, and potentially extending him next year depending on how the draft unfolds and their ability to find a suitable long term replacement.

The problem with The Blues giving up the 2 1st Round choices to acquire this season (other than difficulty in trading off Cousins) is that The Blues will soon need to pay very large amounts to J.J., Darrisaw, T.J., and IF they want to keep Danielle (even without Cousins' salary).  They'd have to hit the jackpot on virtually all their draft choices to field a competitive team, IF they could even field an entire roster.  It seems like it might be impossible to impractical.  It seems to me they absolutely need to hit on a 1st year QB from the 2023, OR 2024 draft.  I'm not against The Vikings again offering Cousins a 1-year extension , to handle 2024 IF they fail to procure an adequate QB prospect in this year's draft, so they can try again in The 2024 draft.  I think that Cousins might accept the one-year extension, even just to delay the uprooting his family for the one year. 

I don't put much stock in the Vikings apparently talking about a Cousins trade,  but is there any chance that they would attempt to trade him for Lance if they don't get Levis in the draft? They could still draft a qb next year if Lance doesn't work out. 

I don't have high hopes for Lance but I wouldn't be against giving him a shot since it looks like Cousins will be gone soon and it'll be tough to get 1 of the top 4 QBs in this draft.