Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

I voted that this is a good deal, but it wasn’t what I would have preferred necessarily. In retaining Kirk, this was about as good as we could have hoped for as far as deals. I personally would have like to trade him, get a bridge, and work towards a QBoTF in next years draft. 

Like him or hate him, he is here for the next 2 years. We’ve seen rough salary numbers and we know that his cap hit drops this year, but where does this leave us sitting going into the tampering period tomorrow? With a Hunter extension, how good will we be looking cap wise?

• Like 2

Not sure it is a good move because of the massive holes they have to fix in the defense and how are they going to do that?  Paying Kirk is assuming you can win right now.  Also assuming they trade Danielle Hunter and just get draft picks in return, they would have to totally kill it in the draft and hit almost every pick to field even an ok defense.

Because this unit below is not going to scare anyone.  Have massive issues possibly in the pass rush OLB spot unless Robinson is a huge hit and Wonnum is a better fit in a 3/4 which could be the case considering his range and athletic ability.  Twyman might be better in a 3/4, same with Jordon Scott and James Lynch but still that secondary is a massive question and could argue they do not have one corner that is good and they need 3 great ones and 1 good one to be even an ok D.

DE Michael Pierce /Jaylen Twyman

NT Dalvin Tomlinson / Jordon Scott 

DE Armon Watts / James Lynch

OLB: D.J. Wonnum  /  Kenny Willekes

ILB: Eric Kendricks / Chazz Surratt

ILB:  Blake Lynch / Troy Dye /  Ryan Connelly

OLB:  Janarius Robinson / Patrick Jones II

Kris Boyd / Harrison Hand

Harrison Smith / Myles Dorn

Camryn Bynum / Josh Metellus

Cameron Dantzler  

But like every NFL team they are QB desperate and at least the Vikings are not chasing Deshaun freaking Watson so that is a plus.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It's also a great deal for Kwesi and KOC. Buys them 5 years minimum. Two with Kirk, perhaps 4-5 with a rookie. 

Change for change's sake isn't a smart way to do most things in life. 

Exactly. To me, all this does is buy them another year, which is good considering how weak most people consider this QB class to be. 

I really don't like Kirk, but this is flat out just a good business move. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They better follow this up with more win now moves, or I'm not sure I get this. 

I was ok with trying to win, but they better try to win. This defense is awful, probably needs 4 starters that aren't on the roster, maybe more....

I see this as the exact opposite of "win now". 

If the new regime thought Kirk was "the guy", they would have signed him long term.

This move was just to clear short term cap space without committing to anything long term, while still keeping a QB good enough to keep them competitive while they find the QBOTF. 

Not a fan of Cousins but this feels like a move MN needed to make. I really hope they look towards acquiring resources to land a QB in the 2023 draft. Otherwise, if there is no real plan in place Cousins will be getting another extension after two seasons. I think two years has to be the max. Work on the defense this year and go all in for a top QB next year, hopefully it’s a better class. 

Hopefully they can take care of Hunter and use whatever cap space left for a quality CB. 

• Like 1

Have the Vikings fans ever really got to enjoy a true QBOTF?    Other than Fran and Two-minute Tommy, we've drafted and started only a few guys . . . Johnson, Culpepper, Jackson, Ponder and Bridgewater, to name a few.   Makes ya all warm n fuzzy, doesn't it?   

As we can see, we draft someone promising and, boom, there goes a knee.   

I don't like the idea that Kirk can't win or that he needs perfection around him.  But, he is a greedy one for sure.  All may be forgiven if he utilizes the tools at his disposal and does everything he can to be smart and score.

The fact this deal took 90% of the cap hit out is nice, but it still screams "I'm not doing anything alone to help the team."   If this team does cut more to save cap space for Hunter . . . Oh, man losing him would hurt worse in my mind than had Cousins been traded. 

1 minute ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Have the Vikings fans ever really got to enjoy a true QBOTF?    Other than Fran and Two-minute Tommy, we've drafted and started only a few guys . . . Johnson, Culpepper, Jackson, Ponder and Bridgewater, to name a few.   Makes ya all warm n fuzzy, doesn't it?   

As we can see, we draft someone promising and, boom, there goes a knee.   

I don't like the idea that Kirk can't win or that he needs perfection around him.  But, he is a greedy one for sure.  All may be forgiven if he utilizes the tools at his disposal and does everything he can to be smart and score.

The fact this deal took 90% of the cap hit out is nice, but it still screams "I'm not doing anything alone to help the team."   If this team does cut more to save cap space for Hunter . . . Oh, man losing him would hurt worse in my mind than had Cousins been traded. 

Did you expect him to play for free?

• Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Did you expect him to play for free?

Oh, no . . . I think he could've restructured for two or three years and should been willing to accept performance-based incentives --- playoff wins ---- not stats that would justify the value he'll be paid.  From what I've read, the Vikes could've rolled part of this year's cap hit forward without his input.   Not sure how that would've worked, but sure seems like he's trying to make the owners submit.