Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We are 3 weeks away from the start of free agency.

I can’t wait for the reactions to the inevitable 5 year extension. The chaos will be beautiful.

I can't see them going that long, but yes, I've been expecting an extension.  I think ideal is probably just another year, but I can't see Cousins' camp accepting that...ala the Coller article here:

I just think his extension is one of the last things that need to be considered.  There are so many other options to clear cap space, that using him is probably the 5th option on the list at least.  

Edited by swede700

No chance Cousins accepts anything less than 3 years, imo. It makes no sense from his perspective. The Vikings will either sign him to a multi year extension, or they’ll restructure the final year of his contract, and 2023 will be his last season for the Vikings. And while a trade is certainly possible, I do see it as the least likely outcome given the amount of QBs set to be available this year.

If the Vikings want to extend Cousins, then they are going to have to commit to him for 3 additional years, which will most likely carry him to retirement. And that’s why a 5 year deal makes the most sense. A 5 year deal that, in reality, is a 3 year deal allows the team to be more cap flexible. This was the biggest mistake of the original contract that Spielman signed with Cousins in 2018. I can’t see Kwesi making that mistake, or Brzezinski making that mistake twice. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

Extending Cousins is the only thing that really makes sense. Just as it was the only thing that made sense last time. 

One change I would like to see, in exchange for a longer contract, a limited no-trade clause. Something along the lines of they can trade him to any playoff team from a prior year or any team with a winning record. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Extending Cousins is the only thing that really makes sense. Just as it was the only thing that made sense last time. 

One change I would like to see, in exchange for a longer contract, a limited no-trade clause. Something along the lines of they can trade him to any playoff team from a prior year or any team with a winning record. 

I agree, though in an alternate reality, a trade makes sense too (though I can't see any team doing it for anything that is worth trashing a year after winning 13 games).

• Like 1

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, a one-year extension for Cousins is something that is not expected to happen this offseason, with the team likely looking at one of two options for Cousins’ deal: Either giving him a longer-term extension or simply allowing him to play out the final year of his contract before moving on.

• Like 1