Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

• 2 weeks later...

O’Connell: “I’m very excited about Kirk in Year Two in this system. It’s been a while since Kirk’s been able to say that he gets to come back in the same system he ran previously with the same play-caller. I’ve had a lot of great dialogue with him in ways we’re going to look to fine-tune what we did and grow and improve. That will be a big part of 2023 for me, not only as the head coach but as play-caller in our offensive staff.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/14/kevin-oconnell-very-excited-about-kirk-cousins-having-second-year-in-same-offense/

• Like 1

Head Coach/OC/QB coach

2018: Zimmer/DeFilippo (fired week 14) Stefanski (Interim OC)/Stefanski/Petzing
2019: Zimmer/Stefanski/K. Kubiak
2020: Zimmer/G. Kubiak/K. Kubiak
2021: Zimmer/K. Kubiak/Janocko
2022: O'Connell/O'Connell (Phillips)/O'Hara
2022: O'Connell/O'Connell (Phillips)/O'Hara

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

If we could trade up for a QB this year, and Cousins wants us, what's his value?

Could we get a 2024 1st for him?

Not without an extension in place. Whatever team would want him would have to give up picks and hope he's willing to sign an extension. Sure, they could work that out beforehand, but why would Cousins want to? If the Vikings don't want to extend him, and they can't/won't franchise him, he'll be the #1 Free Agent next year. No question that he'll command $40MM+ on the open market next season. 

This is even more true when you consider that he's not going to find a better situation on draft night than he is in right now. He'll be in his 2nd year of the KOC offense (and had a pretty good first one) with all the weapons he needs for a huge year to set himself up for an even bigger payday.

He's not just going to accept a trade to Houston because his feelings are hurt. The guy has thicker skin than anyone here seems to give him credit for.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He's not just going to accept a trade to Houston because his feelings are hurt. The guy has thicker skin than anyone here seems to give him credit for.

he's shown very savvy business instincts all along, or at least the ability to listen to others who have them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If we could trade up for a QB this year, and Cousins wants us, what's his value?

Could we get a 2024 1st for him?

Anyone who says anything other than a 1st rounder for Cousins is high. QBs far less capable and talented have garnered more than a 2nd.  If a team isn’t willing to give up adequate compensation then you don’t trade him. A second rounder is not enough for Cousins. Not even close. It better be a 2nd rounder plus a 1st rounder plus something else.  QBs are very hard to come by, and though he isn’t the greatest, even QBs at his level are difficult to obtain. As I already said, QBs a tier or two below him can get you back a 2nd rounder…

Teams don’t just get to trade what’s convenient for themselves. You’re going to trade a lot and you’re going have to lose a lot of capital for him. At the end of the day, I’m not the GM or coach. If they trade him away for laughable compensation, I won’t fight it. I’ll just see what happens. 

• Like 2

Now that Brady is retired and Rodgers is in the AFC, after Hurts, who are the best quarterbacks in the NFC?

Prescott?

Fields?

Smith?

Carr?

Cousins?

To me, Kirk is now likely the 2nd best quarterback in the NFC.  However, if he played in the AFC, he'd be behind Mahomes, Burrow, Rodgers,  Herbert, Allen, Jackson,  and after this season,  maybe Lawrence, Watson, and Tua would rank ahead of him.  I have never seen this kind of unbalanced QB talent between conferences.