Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

• 2 weeks later...

Quarterback is the most important position in football, so there’s no better position to focus on when it comes to offseason rankings.

9. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Cousins is probably at the top of the second tier of quarterbacks — those who you can win with but are unlikely to transform a team into a contender simply by their presence. Cousins has earned a PFF passing grade of at least 77.7 every season in Minnesota. He is an exceptionally accurate passer with plenty of big plays in his arsenal who maybe lacks that transcendent, intangible talent that every team chases at the position.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-all-32-starters-2023-nfl-season

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

This ranking I can buy...

I have no issue with Kirk being behind Hurts.  But, there is significant space between number 1 and number 2 in my thinking.  But heaven help the NFC if Dallas, LA or New Orleans gets to the Super Bowl...and, if I am truthful, the Vikings probably belong on the list of teams who would have trouble against the AFC's best teams.

8 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I have no issue with Kirk being behind Hurts.  But, there is significant space between number 1 and number 2 in my thinking.  But heaven help the NFC if Dallas, LA or New Orleans gets to the Super Bowl...and, if I am truthful, the Vikings probably belong on the list of teams who would have trouble against the AFC's best teams.

There probably wouldn't be a team in the NFC, Philadelphia included, that wouldn't have trouble against the best AFC team.  Philadelphia is probably the only one that would be consistently competitive against them, but I'm going to take KC, Cincinnati and Buffalo 99 times out of 100 vs any NFC team. 

With the strongest AFC teams being those 3 and some of the better teams in the NFC being SF and Philadelphia, I get this feeling that we're back in the late 80s-early 90s again.  😂

• Like 1

Which Viking receivers have caught the most passes from Kirk Cousins:

353 Adam Thielen
318 Justin Jefferson
205 Dalvin Cook

165 Stefon DIggs
131 Kyle Rudolph
102 KJ Osborn
88 Irv Smith Jr
87 Tyler Conklin
65 Alexander Mattison
61 CJ Ham
59 T.J. Hockenson

44 Laquon Treadwell
42 Olabisi Johson
26 Chad Beebe
1 Garrett Bradbury
1 Kirk Cousins

bold = current player

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-kirk-cousins-completed-passes-adam-thielen-justin-jefferson/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3UMmHzHt2bxYZTqTkln-vKpMatrFn8GJ1JlNdlcxFgmm3SqeCEBzr3Bz8

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

don't be too effusive with your praise....

Its often said that you "need a top 15 QB" to even have a shot at winning the Superbowl. For the most part, that's held up, with a few exceptions.

I'm a Cousins fan. At almost 35, I think he has a good 3 years left in him. I don't see him being the type wanting to play in his 40s.

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its often said that you "need a top 15 QB" to even have a shot at winning the Superbowl.

sorry to be this way, but duh.

if you don't have a top 15 QB, then you have a below average QB, and it's not likely you're going to win a Super Bowl.

in other news, direct sunlight is typically warm.

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

sorry to be this way, but duh.

if you don't have a top 15 QB, then you have a below average QB, and it's not likely you're going to win a Super Bowl.

in other news, direct sunlight is typically warm.

I just don't want to be too effusive with my praise. Lol

Now, when Pittsburgh won it in 2005, NY Giants won it in 2007, Baltimore in 2012, Seattle in 2013 and Philly in 2017, how many people were calling Roethlisberger, Eli, Flacco, Wilson or Foles a top 15 QB at that time? My guess is not that many.