Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s Hurts and then a healthy debate between Cousins and Prescott. 

A couple of years ago, I would have said Cousins and Prescott were exactly at the same level.  But, Dak has regressed as far as I'm concerned and Cousins has at least stayed the same, if not improved. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

A couple of years ago, I would have said Cousins and Prescott were exactly at the same level.  But, Dak has regressed as far as I'm concerned and Cousins has at least stayed the same, if not improved. 

Definitely improved in 2022. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Morlee said:

Definitely improved in 2022. 

Kirk has really never taken a step back in his career. Year on year, he's improved. Maybe not be leaps and bounds, but he hasn't really had a "down" year. Hopefully that trend will reverse itself until after he's left Minnesota. 

• Like 1

General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said on Saturday that he “can’t do that” when asked if he would say Jaren Hall is a potential heir to Kirk Cousins under center and he said “every option is open to us going forward” at quarterback. That includes a contract extension, which was something the two sides talked about earlier in the offseason without coming to an agreement.

Adofo-Mensah: “When you go into a contract negotiation, you’re trying to come up with solutions together. It’s not just what Kwesi wants or what the Vikings want or what Kirk wants. It’s what we can do together to ultimately put up that Lombardi. Sometimes you come to a place where you decide, ‘Hey, let’s talk later. This is a solution for now.’ That’s all that’s happened.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/29/kwesi-adofo-mensah-door-is-not-closed-on-kirk-cousins-extension/

I said it back in March, an extension in June won’t surprise me.

The Vikings clearly identified a quarterback that they tried to target in the draft. From local reports, the QBs that the Vikings were willing to trade up for were Stroud and Richardson with Richardson being their top choice. Unfortunately, neither player made it out of the top 5, which is where the Vikings were reportedly set to move into if one of them had fallen. 

Now it’s time to circle back and revisit extension talks. If they can come to a mutually beneficial agreement, great! But, if not, then they’ll move forward with 2023 and make other plans for 2024. But it’s pretty clear that this regime isn’t going to back itself into a corner on this. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

Kirk Cousins is entering his sixth season with the Vikings.

It marks his first season in Minnesota, though, where free agency potentially looms on the other side. Though it's an uncertain situation, it's not one Cousins is unfamiliar with.

Cousins: "You know, I think in this league, there should never be entitlement. You've always gotta go play, and teams can do whatever they want to do. That's their prerogative. You just go to work the best you can, and I'm encouraged and excited because I do think I have a lot of good football ahead of me, so I've gotta go out there and earn that. But I feel positive about the future looking forward."

"This is my fourth time in this league going into a season with free agency on the horizon – my fourth year after my rookie contract, the two years in Washington after that and then this. It's more the norm than the exception. I think the exception is that you have something penciled in for future years. Most of our locker has no idea what's coming in three or four months, let alone three or four years or next year.

"I feel like I'm one of the guys, like we're all in this together, that's the way this thing works, and I think it's part of what makes this league great. Because everybody has an edge. Everybody's working, everybody's got something to prove. Nobody can operate with entitlement or comfort or put in less than their best, and I think that's the best thing about our league."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kirk-cousins-contract-future-play-caller?fbclid=IwAR3iQ3fawLM4rQoSGPfMKNqMT_GTGl1W3xq34E4k_4E8YNxCUw3twJmjHbk

• Like 4

Just now, vike daddy said:

Kirk Cousins is entering his sixth season with the Vikings.

It marks his first season in Minnesota, though, where free agency potentially looms on the other side. Though it's an uncertain situation, it's not one Cousins is unfamiliar with.

Cousins: "You know, I think in this league, there should never be entitlement. You've always gotta go play, and teams can do whatever they want to do. That's their prerogative. You just go to work the best you can, and I'm encouraged and excited because I do think I have a lot of good football ahead of me, so I've gotta go out there and earn that. But I feel positive about the future looking forward."

"This is my fourth time in this league going into a season with free agency on the horizon – my fourth year after my rookie contract, the two years in Washington after that and then this. It's more the norm than the exception. I think the exception is that you have something penciled in for future years. Most of our locker has no idea what's coming in three or four months, let alone three or four years or next year.

"I feel like I'm one of the guys, like we're all in this together, that's the way this thing works, and I think it's part of what makes this league great. Because everybody has an edge. Everybody's working, everybody's got something to prove. Nobody can operate with entitlement or comfort or put in less than their best, and I think that's the best thing about our league."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kirk-cousins-contract-future-play-caller?fbclid=IwAR3iQ3fawLM4rQoSGPfMKNqMT_GTGl1W3xq34E4k_4E8YNxCUw3twJmjHbk

Doesn't sound like a guy who's pouting and demanding a trade. Weird. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

After this season he'll have made ~$231m on NFL contracts. I have no idea what kind of endorsement money he's made.

And there's the potential for him to still make, what, $100 million additional? More?

His family is set for how many generations, lol?