Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

If Cousins isn't going to be our QB next year, and this year's team isn't going anywhere, then being bad isn't really negative because we'll need to draft a QB. And any draft capital we get in return is better than the nothing we get we get when he walks. Or at least as long it's better than potential compensation picks.

I would say it's a no brainer to trade if we can.

This would kill the lockerroom, which is stacked with really good, developing young players.  And those up for new contracts would consider free agency before re-signing. This would demoralize the coaching staff, which and probably lose some good coaches.  

I personally feel that trading Kirk for draft picks IS signaling the Vikings are tanking, and it would take multiple seasons to recover trust in the locker room. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

This would kill the lockerroom, which is stacked with really good, developing young players.  And those up for new contracts would consider free agency before re-signing. This would demoralize the coaching staff, which and probably lose some good coaches.  

I personally feel that trading Kirk for draft picks IS signaling the Vikings are tanking, and it would take multiple seasons to recover trust in the locker room. 

Stacked? I wish. 

While it would be bad for this year, I doubt it kills any of them long term in terms of this team. 

Of course they aren't trying to win this year if they deal him. Why would that destroy the trust? It would be obvious and shouldn't hurt trust at all. IF they don't sign him next year, they are going to be awful....does that break trust and ruin player development? At some point, they will move on.....You really think all those coaches just up and leave if they don't sign Kirk next year?

4 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

The locker room could be a concern, but it’s not really knowable or quantifiable. And the locker room may be terrible regardless if the team isn’t winning games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll say it again - it's a moot point.

Cousins would have to agree to a trade and why would he? he LIKES living in MN, his family is stable there. he'd have to learn a new team's playbook and vocabulary on the fly, and look how he said it took him almost all of last season to learn KOC's.

financially, he's looking for one more 2-3 year contract next year to close out his career. strategically, he would want a monster season this year (and he's on his way already) to substantiate a team giving him that last big payday. why risk that just to move to another team he doesn't want to do anyway? because fans think it's a good idea and we'll get a better draft pick?

pro tip - well paid NFL players don't take fans' views into account when making mega million dollar decisions.

Why would he? Conceivably because he thinks it gives him the opportunity to win more games. Or he just doesn’t want to play for an organization that believe in him?I have no idea what his perspective is on it though.

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Stacked? I wish. 

While it would be bad for this year, I doubt it kills any of them long term in terms of this team. 

Of course they aren't trying to win this year if they deal him. Why would that destroy the trust? It would be obvious and shouldn't hurt trust at all. IF they don't sign him next year, they are going to be awful....does that break trust and ruin player development? At some point, they will move on.....You really think all those coaches just up and leave if they don't sign Kirk next year?

You haven't been reading my posts.  There is ZERO chance that Kirk plays for the Vikings next season.  My posts have not been about re-signing Kirk for next year, but rather I am against trading Kirk this year!  Offensive players who have to meet certain targets to get their full 2023 season contract will not meet those targets with Mullins or Hall playing QB in 2023.  That's what kills trust in the locker room.  There are literally players who have millions of dollars at stake by who is playing QB.

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll say it again - it's a moot point.

Cousins would have to agree to a trade and why would he? he LIKES living in MN, his family is stable there. he'd have to learn a new team's playbook and vocabulary on the fly, and look how he said it took him almost all of last season to learn KOC's.

financially, he's looking for one more 2-3 year contract next year to close out his career. strategically, he would want a monster season this year (and he's on his way already) to substantiate a team giving him that last big payday. why risk that just to move to another team he doesn't want to do anyway? because fans think it's a good idea and we'll get a better draft pick?

pro tip - well paid NFL players don't take fans' views into account when making mega million dollar decisions.

It is ultimately a moot point,  but it is fodder for discussion.  However, to address @Old Guy's post, I'm not sure the organization is really committed to moving on from Kirk after this season. I think their ultimate goal has been to create flexibility with the roster, so they can move on if they choose to do so.  If Kirk continues to play like he has, I imagine they'll extend him another year (or potentially even 2). 

They want to find a successor in the short term, but having Kirk in tow gives them the flexibility to be patient until they find the right one.  And I personally think they have until 2025 to definitely find one. 

I think the ideal, however, is to find one in 2024.  Of course, they'll have to determine before the draft whether to extend Kirk or not (which I think they will).

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The only young player on O is Addison, right? Who else is young and developing? Outside Ingram, who is, um, not good and I doubt who the QB is matters much to his development.

Hockenson - 26
Jefferson - 24
Osborn - 26
Nailor - 24
Chandler - 25
Mattison - 25
Akers - 24
Darrisaw - 24
Ingram - 24
Oliver - 26
Muse - 25

They are a young offense, with players that need development.

Ingram has had obvious mishaps, but he's exactly the player that can be developed. He's not overmatched physically - that's why they are playing him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The only young player on O is Addison, right? Who else is young and developing? Outside Ingram, who is, um, not good and I doubt who the QB is matters much to his development.

All the receivers are young and developing.  Yes Jefferson and Hockenson both can grow.  This Mattison's first season starting.  Yes, he's young and developing. Chandler is developing. Darrisaw is still young and can even get better.

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is ultimately a moot point,  but it is fodder for discussion.  However, to address @Old Guy's post, I'm not sure the organization is really committed to moving on from Kirk after this season. I think their ultimate goal has been to create flexibility with the roster, so they can move on if they choose to do so.  If Kirk continues to play like he has, I imagine they'll extend him another year (or potentially even 2). 

They want to find a successor in the short term, but having Kirk in tow gives them the flexibility to be patient until they find the right one.  And I personally think they have until 2025 to definitely find one.  I think the ideal, however, is to find one in 2024.         

Does Cousins' current contract allow the Vikings to franchise tag him? if not, he will not settle for a 1- or 2-year contract. In fact, if they do have the ability to franchise tag him, he's not going to extend for one or two more years. He's at that age he's going to want to max out one more time IMO. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

You haven't been reading my posts.  There is ZERO chance that Kirk plays for the Vikings next season.  My posts have not been about re-signing Kirk for next year, but rather I am against trading Kirk this year!  Offensive players who have to meet certain targets to get their full 2023 season contract will not meet those targets with Mullins or Hall playing QB in 2023.  That's what kills trust in the locker room.  There are literally players who have millions of dollars at stake by who is playing QB.

I read it 100% You said they were stacked, they aren't. I 100% understood what you said, but you never mentioned the incentives. That would sting for sure....I'll say this, if by a miracle someone offered a first, and the FO turned it down, they should be fired. They are years from being good if they don't get lucky at QB and draft significantly better. Years. Getting a first speeds that up. Regardless of how guys feel in the locker room.

It is all moot, they aren't trading him because no one is offering anything for him.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They want to find a successor in the short term, but having Kirk in tow gives them the flexibility to be patient until they find the right one.  And I personally think they have until 2025 to definitely find one. 

I think the ideal, however, is to find one in 2024.  Of course, they'll have to determine before the draft whether to extend Kirk or not (which I think they will).

I agree with much you have written, but I think the likelihood that the Vikings extend Cousins again is very small.  If Cousins continues to play like he has in the first three games, he will have earned another big free agent contract.  As much as Cousins likes playing in Minnesota, if Tampa Bay offers a 3 year guaranteed salary he's off to live in Florida.

Just now, Old Guy said:

Does Cousins' current contract allow the Vikings to franchise tag him? if not, he will not settle for a 1- or 2-year contract. In fact, if they do have the ability to franchise tag him, he's not going to settle to extend for one or two more years. He's at that age he's going to want to max out one more time IMO. 

They can't tag him, because his contract doesn't void until after the tag deadline.  In addition, the tags he received in Washington still affect his deal here, so they wouldn't even if they could. 

I think the Vikings are the only team that he would accept a 2-yr deal from.  The contract would probably be longer than that, but would probably include void years just like this one did. 

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Hockenson - 26
Jefferson - 24
Osborn - 26
Nailor - 24
Chandler - 25
Mattison - 25
Akers - 24
Darrisaw - 24
Ingram - 24
Oliver - 26
Muse - 25

They are a young offense, with players that need development.

Ingram has had obvious mishaps, but he's exactly the player that can be developed. He's not overmatched physically - that's why they are playing him.

Those guys are mostly in their prime, and have been in the league for more than 3-4 years. They aren't young. Do we really think what QB is in there matters to Darrisaw or Hockenson or Jefferson in their "development"? Really? 

Do we think it matters at all to the RBs, none of which are developing or part of the future (or we should hope not)? 

Osborn is gone after this year, right? 

Your position is that guys in their prime will somehow be hurt if Kirk isn't here this year, but will be fine w/o him next year? 

Just now, swede700 said:

They can't tag him, because his contract doesn't void until after the tag deadline.  In addition, the tags he received in Washington still affect his deal here, so they wouldn't even if they could. 

I think the Vikings are the only team that he would accept a 2-yr deal from.  The contract would probably be longer than that, but would probably include void years just like this one did. 

I just looked at over the cap. YUCK! Still got 50 million in void money over the next 4 years. The best part of the Rodgers trade for us is that MO FO is off the books after this year.