2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

6 hours ago, AFF said:

I’ll say Edmunds comes back on a 3/$21 mill deal.

This is not only bad for the reasons started but it’s also paying him as one of the highest SS’s in the NFL. At this rate he’s looking at a 2/$7mil with $3mil gtd. 

• Like 2

I am really torn on the Mathieu possibility. I have never been his biggest fan -- often finding him a far better name than a player. I feel like he has always had a reputation of being some stud and his play never backs that up. He will be on his 4th team in 6 years. He will probably be the most expensive option at this stage and for that we would get his usual jack of all, master of none. 

Doesn't excel in coverage. Not a tremendous blitz guy. Not a deep half player. Isn't a brick house tackle machine. None of that sounds like the role player this team could use with TJ, Heyward, and Minkah being the stars. 

But the one area I think he could improve is that he can take the football away on occasion. On this team with the pass rush we have and Minkah behind, he could be pretty free to go take the ball away -- something Austin as a coach has been big on. With an offense lead by a rushing attack and Mitch/ell Trubisky, those additional opportunities could be huge. 

Just talking out loud, but I will be relieved when it's over so I can stop being half in but half out on the Honey Badger. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am really torn on the Mathieu possibility. I have never been his biggest fan -- often finding him a far better name than a player. I feel like he has always had a reputation of being some stud and his play never backs that up. He will be on his 4th team in 6 years. He will probably be the most expensive option at this stage and for that we would get his usual jack of all, master of none. 

Doesn't excel in coverage. Not a tremendous blitz guy. Not a deep half player. Isn't a brick house tackle machine. None of that sounds like the role player this team could use with TJ, Heyward, and Minkah being the stars. 

But the one area I think he could improve is that he can take the football away on occasion. On this team with the pass rush we have and Minkah behind, he could be pretty free to go take the ball away -- something Austin as a coach has been big on. With an offense lead by a rushing attack and Mitch/ell Trubisky, those additional opportunities could be huge. 

Just talking out loud, but I will be relieved when it's over so I can stop being half in but half out on the Honey Badger. 

I completely agree with this.

He has always been a decent player....but I feel like he has coasted off his name since coming into the league.   Often painted as elite when he never actually has been.      He is kind of like the Maurkice Pouncey of safeties.

If I had to compare him to another safety, it would probably be OJ Atagwe years back.   A guy who was never really that great....but had a nose for the ball.    

Thats great and all, but I would prefer a better compliment to Minkah.      If Witherspoon, Wallace and Sutton can be at least a solid CB unit for us, and we could get a Chris Hope- esque enforcer/run stopper  next to Minkah, it would make our secondary pretty damn well rounded and allow Minkah to float around a little and get him back to doing what he does best.

Beggars cant be choosers though....so if we sign Mathieu, I hope its only for a year....2 at most.   

• Like 2

Not an edmunds fan. Dude tested off the charts and I don’t see any of that athleticism in terms of tackling, covering or turnovers or blitzing. Minkah is also a poor tackler, but he can make plays so he’ll get extended I think. Honey badger can make plays but he is another poor/average tackler. This team desperately needs an enforcer safety that can tackle/hit the snot out of people and/or a nickel back demon like mike hilton. I don’t know if Sutton can do that.  (Donnie Shell please! A Ryan Clark would work wonders imo). I probably wouldn't sign either until after the draft, unless I had to. Definitely not edmunds. I don’t know if daxton can fill that role, but Cine could. If we could trade back and still get Cine, I would prefer that most I think.

Edited by SMashMouthMike

42 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Not an edmunds fan. Dude tested off the charts and I don’t see any of that athleticism in terms of tackling, covering or turnovers or blitzing. Minkah is also a poor tackler, but he can make plays so he’ll get extended I think. Honey badger can make plays but he is another poor/average tackler. This team desperately needs an enforcer safety that can tackle/hit the snot out of people and/or a nickel back demon like mike hilton. I don’t know if Sutton can do that.  (Donnie Shell please! A Ryan Clark would work wonders imo). I probably wouldn't sign either until after the draft, unless I had to. Definitely not edmunds. I don’t know if daxton can fill that role, but Cine could. If we could trade back and still get Cine, I would prefer that most I think.

I dont think most Steeler fans are actual FANS of Edmunds.      Only reason I am not opposed to him coming back is because he SHOULD be cheap, and I also dont want a repeat of when we drafted him (reaching on a safety early in the draft.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

Speaking of safety what's everyone thoughts on kerby Joseph? Might not be the big hitting SS but tall coverage safety with like 6'8 wingspan 

Give me take aways over big hits

I have not watched him. I don’t watch much college football lol. It depends what the Steelers want and need out of their base nickel d imo. Afc is loaded with QBs so it might make a lot of sense. 

I just prefer an above avg tackler, maybe a missile to pair with a sure tackling nickel back(don’t think we got that either) and to pair with Minkah. 

19 minutes ago, August4th said:

I was just thinking

what if we did a trey lance type trade for willis 💀 a trade up from 20 to 5 might cost that much.

I would hate trading up in the top ten. What if Willis has to play and sucks or gets his leg or throwing arm destroyed? What is the plus side of trading up in your scenario? Getting an elite qb is the only reason U do that right? 

this is a good year to rebuild the lines and get younger all over the roster. The AFC is a ridiculous arms race. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

7 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I would hate trading up in the top ten. What if Willis has to play and sucks or gets his leg or throwing arm destroyed? What is the plus side of trading up in your scenario?

the plus side would be the hopes of landing a dynamic franchise QB. I don't think they should do something like that tho

• Like 1