2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

3 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Interesting article on how this years QB class rates when compared to last year. Pickett and Willis ranked 6 and 7 when the 2 years are combined, which I agree with. Another reason I really don’t care about taking one this year, and would prefer to build the rest of the team and go all in on a QB in next year’s draft. 

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022positionreviewQB.php

I get rather annoyed with all the talk about how a "class" of a positional group stacks up to previous years. This guy would have gone 4th if last year etc. Especially at the QB position, it's bunk. Most of all the QB's taken are busts. Almost always, the QB's taken later out perform the top 5 pick guys. Watson and Mahomes weren't the first QB's taken in their class. 

My point isn't simply the NFL draft is a crapshoot, but that's part of it. The point is, you evaluate the individual prospects. I don't think the Chiefs would have taken Trubisky over Mahomes because they identified Mahomes as their guy and made a play for him even though others had him ranked as a lower prospect. The Steelers need to do the same thing with the caveat that they need to guard against seeing what they want to see in a guy because it's a need.

I don't see it in Willis, but if the brain trust running the team is convinced he's a legit franchise guy then they would be fully justified in making a big play to go get him. I don't care how he theoretically would have stacked up on various big boards constructed by people who aren't part of the Steelers decision making process.

If you identify your franchise QB in a draft, you go get him. You do not sit and wait for him to fall to you in some future draft. The only relevant question is whether any of these individual QB's are that guy. The rest can all suck. It just takes missing on one to seriously regret it. It's the job of the Steelers to identify that one, if he's there.

• Like 3

Random thought:

If it was for a future pick would any of you trade for Devante Parker from Miami. $6mil cap hit, has flashed, but injury issues got him. I wouldn’t mind taking the risk of him for a year to see if he’s still got it. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Random thought:

If it was for a future pick would any of you trade for Devante Parker from Miami. $6mil cap hit, has flashed, but injury issues got him. I wouldn’t mind taking the risk of him for a year to see if he’s still got it. 

IIRC Tomlin went to his pro day awhile back and liked him a lot according to rumor.

Id rather take a flier on Fuller but wouldn’t hate Parker.

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Random thought:

I wouldn’t hate it. I think he’s be better compliment to DJ than Claypool has been. Nothing higher than a 5th at most though. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I really hope Claypool steps it up. I think he’s got the makeup of a guy that would succeed in an offense like ours looks to be, but he’s been so inconsistent. He didn’t improve at all from his first to second year.

I wonder if that’s due to his immaturity or if he has peaked..or is he being utilized within the offense properly? I tend to cut him a little slack due to the inadequate qb play last year. 

1 hour ago, Regulators87 said:

I wonder if that’s due to his immaturity or if he has peaked..or is he being utilized within the offense properly? I tend to cut him a little slack due to the inadequate qb play last year. 

I think it’s immaturity and being in an offense that looks like it was wearing concrete shoes last year. I’m sure he came into the year thinking he was pretty hot stuff. Sometimes a young guy needs to get a dose of reality. Whether he learns from it remains to be seen. 

1 hour ago, Regulators87 said:

I think it’s a little bit of both. His numbers would’ve looked a lot better if Ben didn’t miss him on so many wide open deep balls. I also believes he’s better suited to be a big slot/TE like Evan Engram. He struggles beating man coverage unless it’s a quick slant or deep ball, he could be a matchup nightmare on the inside. 

51 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it’s immaturity and being in an offense that looks like it was wearing concrete shoes last year. I’m sure he came into the year thinking he was pretty hot stuff. Sometimes a young guy needs to get a dose of reality. Whether he learns from it remains to be seen. 

He’s 28…

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That’s what I figured. I don’t know much about Parker other than he’s played for Miami for awhile

Hes a solid route runner. Has some speed. Dealt with injuries. Had good rapport with Fitzpatrick but not Tua. 

As far as Claypool. I think he’s JAG as a WR before the ball gets to him but when he has the ball it is schemed open he’s a scary dude. 

Edited by warfelg

Just now, warfelg said:

Hes a solid route runner. Has some speed. Dealt with injuries. Had good rapport with Fitzpatrick but not Tua. 

A good buddy of mine is a fins fan and thinks Parker is not the same player. Said the injuries have taken the toll.  If that's the case no thanks.