2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

52 minutes ago, August4th said:

wonder what's it like for your team to have multiple 1st RD picks. I think the last time the steelers did was in the mid-80s. Ravens, Bengals and Browns have had multiple 1st rd pick in the last 15 yrs

Browns have had several years with multiple firsts and rarely ever did anything with them.   I think they always ended up with one major bust.    Multiple 1st round picks.

One year they got Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden.  Anothet year it was Justin Gilbert and Johhny Manziel.

The closest they came to hitting on both were Mayfield and Denzel Ward, but not sure Id classify Mayfield as a success.

Point is....while it would be nice to have an extra first....Ill take our teams success over most teams who have had multiple firsts.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Browns have had several years with multiple firsts and rarely ever did anything with them.   I think they always ended up with one major bust.    Multiple 1st round picks.

One year they got Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden.  Anothet year it was Justin Gilbert and Johhny Manziel.

The closest they came to hitting on both were Mayfield and Denzel Ward, but not sure Id classify Mayfield as a success.

Point is....while it would be nice to have an extra first....Ill take our teams success over most teams who have had multiple firsts.   

Well, there's other issues with that.

An interesting article on much Senior Bowl players do in the NFL as rookies

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-general-managers-still-love-the-senior-bowl-but-do-those-players-pan-out/

So, do Senior Bowl players get more meaningful snaps than we would expect? The answer is yes. As a group, players drafted from 2012 through 2021 generated 35,542 MSOE, indicating that Ballard’s impression about Senior Bowl players developing into good players is supported by some evidence.

The effect remains when we break out MSOE by position. Since 2012, the NFL has picked Senior Bowl players who have returned aggregate positive MSOE at every position but quarterback and running back. And among the position groups with aggregate positive MSOE, no position had a higher player-season hit rate5 or total surplus value than defensive back.

• Like 1

Something I wasn't acutely aware of, but just heard on a podcast and frightened me:

There are now 5 teams with 2 first round picks next year. Eagles, Dolphins, Texans, Seahawks, and the Lions. 

Notice a trend? All those teams likely to be shopping QB next year and will have far better assets to go get one. I was completely off the "take a QB train" this year, but I might hop back on. 

You mean do some planning when you you know the QB crop is better.  Phfffft!  Why would you do that when the QB you want till fall in your lap?

Or, they plan on doing such serious tanking that those teams will be trading with the Steelers to move into the top 5

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Pretty in depth write up from one of the depot guys on Willis and some comps to other small school QB's with great physical gifts.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/04/film-room-comparing-malik-willis-to-other-raw-small-school-stars/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That's a really good find. The more I look at Willis the more I like him. He's built like a little tank, like Kordell. It also seems like a lot of his flaws are correctable and/or caused by his extremely terrible team. If he's a hard worker, which it seems like he is, there's no reason to believe he can't develop into a quality NFL starter. Now the big question is does he last to 20? I still am against the idea of trading up for a QB. 

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's a really good find. The more I look at Willis the more I like him. He's built like a little tank, like Kordell. It also seems like a lot of his flaws are correctable and/or caused by his extremely terrible team. If he's a hard worker, which it seems like he is, there's no reason to believe he can't develop into a quality NFL starter. Now the big question is does he last to 20? I still am against the idea of trading up for a QB. 

I am getting increasingly more high on Willis. He's an extremely high character guy from everything I've seen, and all of his issues are fixable. His ceiling is something nobody else in the class can get close to as well. 

I'm also less against trading up, specifically for him nobody else, when you look at there being at least 4 QB needy teams that all have 2 picks in next years 1st round. If the brain trust think Willis is their guy you go get him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DR43 said:

How come so many believe we'll draft Jordan Davis?  Do they expect him to stay on the field longer than a traditional NT?

Dude. Did u not see the Jordan Davis thread in our forum? And he tested better or = to some of the greatest 3 techniques in history, including Aaron Donald. Only a 55 pound heavier dude, lol. Georgia was dominant on 1st and second down defense. Historically dominant. Davis destroying SEC blocking schemes was THE big reason for this. He looks like a linebacker doing those position drills at the combine. This freakish athleticism shows up on film(when he’s one gapping and two gapping)and in the stats of a historically great defense that won the national title. He’s only been playing football seriously for about 5-6 years. But there’s also legitimate concerns that he’s a 2 down player, can’t discipline himself, or that he can’t play 3 technique, he likes snacking, music, video games and is something of an aloof skeptical introvert that daydreams about mythology and switched his major to religion, lol. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

3 hours ago, DR43 said:

How come so many believe we'll draft Jordan Davis?  Do they expect him to stay on the field longer than a traditional NT?

Doesn't matter.

He wont be there.

If he was and wasnt the pick...

Angry Mtv GIF

• Like 1