2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Reports are DJ and Mason were invited by Trubisky to the workouts and both said no. Wonder if DJ is going to be a holdout. 

Homeboy drops crucial passes and cant consistently get open.   Let someone else pay him $20m.

Then again, if we draft QB rd 1 this year, I doubt Ill care much about what this team does the next several years.

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Here is my recent PFN mock to be brutalized 🙂  I had one trade down in the 3rd

20. Jameson Williams WR Ala
54. Travis Jones DT Conn
86. Quay Walker LB Georgia
138.Jenali Woods TE Virginia
170. Jamaree Salyer OG Georgia
208. Cole Kelly QB SE Louisiana
225. Connor Heywood RB Mich St
241. Eric Johnson DT Missouri St.

Fire me up @jebrick I would be ecstatic with this draft.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

54. Travis Jones DT Conn

I’d sign up for that I’m a heartbeat…love the Woods pick.

17 hours ago, jebrick said:

54. Travis Jones DT Conn

That's probably my favorite mock I've seen. 

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

Wonder if DJ is going to be a holdout. 

If I am remembering correctly, the rules now in the CBA make it really, really hard to be a hold out. Or, I guess, really, really expensive to hold out. 

Personally, I don't read too much into the DJ skipping Trubisky's BBQ. Dudes go their separate ways in the off-season and as long as their still working, I don't really care. I do think its awesome when guys come together, but I also don't knock them if they don't. 

These off-season get togethers are far more important for team building than they are skill building. As long as DJ and Mitch(ell) get together for a beer once they get to Pittsburgh, it's all good. 

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

what's our cap space looking like next yr? I think I read its going be a lot. is Minka and Johnson the only two key FA's? maybe they can tag Johnson

Overthecap has them at $75 mill under going into next offseason…that’s with no draft class/DJ/Fitzpatrick deals on books…however that’s not factoring in 2 easy cuts(if they choose) in Trubisky and Jack who would save a combined $$16 mill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

what's our cap space looking like next yr? I think I read its going be a lot. is Minka and Johnson the only two key FA's? maybe they can tag Johnson

Top 10 in space available. Spotrac is listing around $60M but it’s also using a fairly conservative cap number. 

Minkah and DJ will probably both see extensions with lower year 1 hits. I’m guessing extension over tag for DJ because  IMO they will not pick up Bush’s 5th year, but might reserve the right to maintain in him if he turns it around. 

Nothing but blue skies and flexibility our cap future though (but that’s also not a great thing). 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Top 10 in space available. Spotrac is listing around $60M but it’s also using a fairly conservative cap number. 

Minkah and DJ will probably both see extensions with lower year 1 hits. I’m guessing extension over tag for DJ because  IMO they will not pick up Bush’s 5th year, but might reserve the right to maintain in him if he turns it around. 

Nothing but blue skies and flexibility our cap future though (but that’s also not a great thing). 

Theirs years FA additions really show how the Steelers do they deals…real low year 1 cap hits followed by their 2nd year hit doubling or tripling year 1s hit…almost like option years…everyone they signed or resigned in Witherspoon and Chuks case is like that.

Edited by AFF

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

If I am remembering correctly, the rules now in the CBA make it really, really hard to be a hold out. Or, I guess, really, really expensive to hold out. 

Personally, I don't read too much into the DJ skipping Trubisky's BBQ. Dudes go their separate ways in the off-season and as long as their still working, I don't really care. I do think its awesome when guys come together, but I also don't knock them if they don't. 

These off-season get togethers are far more important for team building than they are skill building. As long as DJ and Mitch(ell) get together for a beer once they get to Pittsburgh, it's all good. 

So the reason I disagree here is Mitch is gonna have better chemistry with guys that showed up. And it’s not the big stuff, it’s the Little things of depth, the ball popping off the hand, the rotation. Add in to be a leader DJ needs to be at these things or when he struggles again guys who were at it will ask why he gets all the slack. 

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Little things of depth, the ball popping off the hand, the rotation

Way too many rep opportunities ahead of them in a professional setting for this to be a cause for concern. Both of these guys are multi-year professionals. I am far more concerned about both of them being on the same page on sight adjustments and coverage options that takes live action reps. If Johnson decides to skip all of OTA's with a new QB and a (mostly?) new offensive system, then I would be concerned. 

Learning how quickly Mitch hits the hitch, how fast a ball gets on you, and when he looks to release the ball on air is one/two rep type stuff. But being on the same page on when to gear down a route across the middle, depth based on coverage change, or when to stem on an option are the important chemistry pieces -- and also the stuff they didn't get opportunity to work on last week. 

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Add in to be a leader DJ

Just my .02 but DJ isn't the offensive leader and I am not sure I want him to be. Judging simply by the way he talks, emotions on the sideline and the field showing through at times, and his history of winning expectations -- I think it's Najee.