2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

43 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know it was just mentioned a couple days ago, but this safety class is remarkable. Even Troy's little cousin from USC looks pretty good. I don't see what he couldn't develop into a good starter. 

Unless they trade the farm for a QB, I think they’ll come out of the 1st 4 rounds with at least 1 WR and a SS.

The tea leaves say QB as well so the other pick can be BPA pretty much anywhere.

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If that's the case, some QB needy team will jump us. 

Det and sea are teams I can see trading back into the 1st to do that. the teams picking behind us in the 1st RD don't have a need at the position...maybe tenn, but they can afford to wait

What are everyone’s thoughts on Andrew Booth Jr. in the first?

Not the biggest immediate need right now but a need nonetheless and I think he’s on the level of Stingley/Sauce as a prospect, if not slightly below. He has Jalen Ramsey type potential imo. 

On the topic of CB, I saw a report a few days ago that the Steelers could potentially bring Haden back on a cheap one year deal if he remains on the market. I’d be all for that, just don’t know how realistic that is after the Wallace signing.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

QBs will go after us. I think it will be a late 1st run. That 5th year option is just so valuable. 

I think you could be right about the late first run. It's such a fascinating year of the draft. Not a lot of overwhelming talents, and an overall meh QB class. But I don't know how many options teams are going to have. 

I don't know that the Panthers want to take a QB at 6, but who is moving up for them? They also don't have a pick until round 4 after that....so Kenny or Ridder make so much sense. Rhule and Fitterer are both about to get canned, so it's hard to see them not taking a pick at clearly their worst position. And the Tepper, Rhule, Kenny connection is too big to ignore. 

Atlanta is such a wild card. Ridder and Willis seem like a fits to sit behind/compete with Mariota for a season. Arthur Smith's experience (and success) makes Ridder a possibility. But they hold 2 picks in round two and 2 in round 3 -- Maybe we see them skip at 8 and try to move back up into the last first if Ridder is still there. 

The Seahawks just hit the reset button last month so they may be willing to be patient...but 103 year old Pete Carroll is still their coach and it's unlikely he is not trying to win. They also have picks 40 & 41 and 2 firsts next year (along with an additional 1st and 2nd next year already). They could go BPA and trade back into the late first. 

The Commanders are the second wild card because trading your second for Wentz only to use your first on a QB screams WFT (except put the T in front of the F). 

Did the Saints really move up 4 weeks ahead of the draft because they think they are super bowl contenders? I mean....that screams QB right? But other things I heard is they really do think they are "a player away". 

Houston and the Lions could absolutely be teams to move up. Depending how far Willis falls, the Giants maybe move up with Daboll and Schoen trying to recreate Josh Allen. 

Who knows man..

• Like 1

I cannot see a world where not a single QB is taken before #20.  We've seen this movie before.  Teams overdraft QBs.  And while this year's group is by no means exceptional, they are terrible either.  We've seen worse prospects go before #20.  I guess we'll see how well this ages come Thursday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I cannot see a world where not a single QB is taken before #20.  We've seen this movie before.  Teams overdraft QBs.  And while this year's group is by no means exceptional, they are terrible either.  We've seen worse prospects go before #20.  I guess we'll see how well this ages come Thursday. 

I like that the idea of trading up into the top 10 seeming unnecessary. I hope the media is right about QB's falling if we plan on taking one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Steelers and Saints do NOT have to take QBs as they signed Vets.  I would think that Carolina would be the most likely to take a QB

Carolina, Seattle, Detroit, plus one could argue for Houston and maybe the NY Giants.

The Steelers, Saints, and Atlanta are all in the same basic boat having signed a former high 1st round pick at QB. Each team can certainly draft a QB this year, but there is no urgency to do it in round 1. 

@Dcash4

Ive heard that’s where all the trade down rumors might be stemming from. Teams higher up want QBs but they don’t want them high. Additionally many of them don’t see much of a difference and want the decision “taken out of their hands” so to speak. 

So say Seattle, Carolina, and maybe one more move down with teams that want to secure a WR. All the major QBs are on the board. 

So say we go Willis. 

Seattle takes Ridder at 22. 

Carolina gets Pickett at 29. 

All three teams get who they like, right? Yes. But the interesting twist: based on how they play the excuse is built in. If Willis plays well and Ridder/Pickett/Corral don’t they can blame it on missing out. If Willis doesn’t do well or sits and their guy does well they can tout the value of moving down. Effectively moving behind a team that “needs” a QB in a “bad” QB draft gives you the ability to let the decision out of your hands.

Of course you could have the smoke screen going the other way. Maybe the Steelers like someone (Pickett) and because of there being a need at a high profile position for us in so long, they want to scare teams into taking Willis and Ridder higher to get your prospect to fall. 

“But was we don’t do smoke screens.”

We do. With players. Not positions. We’ve never been one to try to fake out on position. We’ve done it on players though. We were heavily linked to Harris, but the RBs didn’t separate themselves. But we showed interest in Williams and Entienne. So what happened? Because we showed interest in Harris but also took a deep dive on all the others, the minute we moved (first team in need of a RB) the rest of the teams reacted. We might be doing a reverse of this in the 2022 draft.