2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's laughable. 

I said "almost", mainly in reference to how silly the picks were IMO....especially the QB.

But hey, maybe Im alone in wanting to draft players that might actually make the team.

50 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They do not need Derick Watt anymore.  TJ signed his contract.  Derick is expendable.  They want to make sure Cam plays another 2-4 seasons so they get his brother.

If this actually were true.. it just proves my point.

Derek is a proven solid special teamer.   They arent going to just cut him unless they have a replacement there.

Even if we didn't draft his bro, I seriously doubt Cam would leave.   And if his game slips too much, I dont want him hanging around just for his bro.

I dont have an issue bringing him on.    I just have an issue with us drafting him...for reasons that aren't related to making this a better team.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Im not saying Im confident.   Just think they were awful picks.  

If they turn out to contribute, so be it.   Im wrong...good.   I dont believe that will happen.

Exactly.

See, I think this is the root of most of the arguments you get in on this forum. You automatically assume these were wasted picks because you didn’t like them. Not that you’re wrong for thinking that way, I just have a different perspective. 6th and 7th round picks are straight up dart throws and priority free agents. Odds are, those guys will be lucky to make the practice squad. I’m not going to let those picks determine how I feel about our draft. 

We’ve “hit” on more of those picks than league average, including a multi all-pro and one of the best receivers of all time in the 6th round (one of the best 6th round picks of all time). If one of those 3 players sticks for more than 2-3 years in any capacity it will be a success in my opinion. If not, and Pickett, Pickens, Leal, and Austin all hit then who cares?

Again, I’m more pissed off at the failed Schobert and Williamson trades than I am about them using a 6th on Cam’s brother or a 7th on a QB they like for some reason.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Derek is a proven solid special teamer.   They arent going to just cut him unless they have a replacement there.

Even if we didn't draft his bro, I seriously doubt Cam would leave.   And if his game slips too much, I dont want him hanging around just for his bro.

I dont have an issue bringing him on.    I just have an issue with us drafting him...for reasons that aren't related to making this a better team.

If they drafted Cam’s brother in hopes of cutting Derek Watt and having a cheaper replacement then it makes a lot more sense. I have serious doubts they will cut Watt though unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

See, I think this is the root of most of the arguments you get in on this forum. You automatically assume these were wasted picks because you didn’t like them. Not that you’re wrong for thinking that way, I just have a different perspective. 6th and 7th round picks are straight up dart throws and priority free agents. Odds are, those guys will be lucky to make the practice squad. I’m not going to let those picks determine how I feel about our draft. 

Its not so much about not liking them as not understanding or liking the logic.

Heyward - 1) IMO, drafting FBs is a complete waste in todays NFL, regardless of round.   2)  I dont believe Watt will be cut, and thus we will carry 2 FBs, 3) despite most late rounders not making the team, I believe there were smarter options, and 4) no one will convince me his relation to Cam isnt the main reason we drafted him.   There is 3 sets of proof on the team.   You guys don't have to take issue with it....but I do.

Olukadun 1) we couldve easily gotten a camp arm in free agency, 2)  Ill be extremely shocked if he ever makes an active roster.   Likely wasted pick.

We’ve “hit” on more of those picks than league average, including a multi all-pro and one of the best receivers of all time in the 6th round (one of the best 6th round picks of all time).

???   Not sure what youre getting at here.   

And how far back are you going in regards to that "above league average" argument?

Id be very curious as to the last 5 or 10 years or so.  Beyond that is irrelevant.

If one of those 3 players sticks for more than 2-3 years in any capacity it will be a success in my opinion. If not, and Pickett, Pickens, Leal, and Austin all hit then who cares?

Again....its not about potentially busting on those picks.   That's largely expected.

Its the positions and reasoning that annoy me, personally.

You can’t tell me there wasn’t an OL/Edge/DB/RB they coulda picked instead of Heyward.

Hell I would understand a mid round pick on Jelani Woods at TE who at least is a huge physical outlier at TE better than picking Heyward…the fact we knew it was coming speaks for itself.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I am being very cynical and a bit sarcastic....I think

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Connor is a better all around football player than Derek Watt and ultimately should be his competition and replacement. They definitely overpay a special teams player in Watt that does little to nothing else for the team. Connor Heyward is a pretty good H Back type player and if Pittsburgh didnt take him, Im pretty sure he wouldve been on Belechick's radar and not made it out of the 7th round. Its interesting though cause Watts deadcap is almost 2 million. 

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Connor is a better all around football player than Derek Watt and ultimately should be his competition and replacement. They definitely overpay a special teams player in Watt that does little to nothing else for the team. Connor Heyward is a pretty good H Back type player and if Pittsburgh didnt take him, Im pretty sure he wouldve been on Belechick's radar and not made it out of the 7th round. Its interesting though cause Watts deadcap is almost 2 million. 

I dont even really disagree.   I dont have anything again Heyward per se, and obviously hope he succeeds, but the Steelers have consistently retained ST players that dont really offer much else, so I dont think Watt is going anywhere this year.   Beyond that, regardless of Derek Watt, I dont think Heyward will see the field much.   Maybe on short yardage and goal line stuff....MAYBE.

As I stated with Pickett....I will support Heyward and Oludukun as Steelers PLAYERS, but as DRAFT PICKS, Im not a fan.

It's crazy to me that Leal was playing on the edge for A&M. They must have been desperate. The 5 tech is as wide as I'd ever split him out. I think he'll be an interior pass rusher only for us this year until he cultivates some mass(get this kid a trash bag full of chimichangas). He's got a big bag of tricks in the pass rush game. If he adds some sand in his pants he could be a really quality linemen for us. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It's crazy to me that Leal was playing on the edge for A&M. They must have been desperate. The 5 tech is as wide as I'd ever split him out. I think he'll be an interior pass rusher only for us this year until he cultivates some mass(get this kid a trash bag full of chimichangas). He's got a big bag of tricks in the pass rush game. If he adds some sand in his pants he could be a really quality linemen for us. 

Primantis unlimited gift card?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Exactamendo! Didn't they state in a post draft interview that the plan was for him to add weight and play the interior?  They don't intend for him to play DE. Which makes sense because he was able to wreak havoc as a DT at 290lbs.  He reminds me of a player who's name escapes me.  He was the Attacking NT for the Cowboys Defense several years ago.  Like Leal, a lean DT that slides between blocks and gets into the backfield consistently.  Anyway, I expect him to rotate in the Nickel and provide much needed interior pressure.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Exactamendo! Didn't they state in a post draft interview that the plan was for him to add weight and play the interior?  They don't intend for him to play DE. Which makes sense because he was able to wreak havoc as a DT at 290lbs.  He reminds me of a player who's name escapes me.  He was the Attacking NT for the Cowboys Defense several years ago.  Like Leal, a lean DT that slides between blocks and gets into the backfield consistently.  Anyway, I expect him to rotate in the Nickel and provide much needed interior pressure.

Jay Ratliff maybe

• Like 1