Patriots trade G Shaq Mason to Buccaneers for 5th round pick

RaidersAreOne

I don't think its purely cap related and I think the trade to Tampa might be getting a 5th instead of a 4th but sending Mason where he wanted to go? (no idea for sure) I think Bill has a plan for his line that does not include Mason. He's always been a year early guy instead of a year late guy.

7 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I'm not an expert on Mason vs Onwenu but I have heard nothing but good things about Onwenu

PFF gave Onwenu an 84.3(2020) and an 87 (2021) They pay far more attention to line play than me, even if they are just one source.

Michael Onwenu has been an out right beast throughout his first two NFL seasons (which is why I'm assuming PFF loves the kid) and he's an absolute monster @ 350lbs too. 

Shaq Mason too, PFF loves him as well.  

2016: 83.3.

2017: 81.6. 

2018: 85.0. 

2019: 73.0.

2020: 85.4.

2021: 85.2. 

It goes beyond PFF though this guy isn't only just really good but @ 300 + lbs he's an extremely dominant RG hog at times. Also only 28 years old and has been a full time starter in NE for 7 years now (former 4th round draft pick).

What is N.E doing?

Only a 5th rounder in return for this dude?

Their trades have been awful as of late... 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Owenu started 24 out of 32 career games.

Shaq Mason started 98 out of 103 career games.  

Sure Owenu maybe is better recently, but the dude has not even started half the games Shaq Mason has.  Mason has been in the league 7 years, Owenu 2 so one is clearly a bit more proven than the other.  

Not sure how amount of games played makes a guy better than another at this very moment. Mohamad Sanu has started 96 games and Ja'Marr Chase has started 17. You telling me you are choosing Sanu because he is the more proven player? Your argument here is beyond flawed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Not sure how amount of games played makes a guy better than another at this very moment. Mohamad Sanu has started 96 games and Ja'Marr Chase has started 17. You telling me you are choosing Sanu because he is the more proven player? Your argument here is beyond flawed. 

At the end of the day both Michael Onwenu and Shaq Mason were NEs two best Offensive Linemen (@ OT and OG).

Losing Shaq Mason and only receiving a 5th round pick in return has not only weakened Mac Jones O-Line but it's now an O-Line hole that must be replaced @ RG (and immediately too).

He didn't start for 7 years in NE for nothing and Tom Brady didn't want him back but this time in TB for nothing either...

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

At the end of the day both Michael Onwenu and Shaq Mason were NEs two best Offensive Linemen (@ OT and OG).

Losing Shaq Mason and only receiving a 5th round pick in return has not only weakened Mac Jones O-Line but it's now an O-Line hole that must be replaced @ RG (and immediately too).

He didn't start for 7 years in NE for nothing and Tom Brady didn't want him back but this time in TB for nothing either...

They really play the same position, that's why Shaq was available. He was older and saved the most money clearing the way for Owenu to be the defacto starter for the next 5+ years. 

2 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I would say this, Mason is a far better run blocking G than he is a pass protector. Not that he isn't a good pass protector, but it's his run blocking in space that really makes him stand out. I would say Onwenu is more all-round, but he is absolutely enourmous with a massive span too.

I'll miss Mason, either way

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

No, it is saying Shaq Mason is proven and has come back from multiple injuries, Onwenu needs to play with consistency over a long period of time not a short one and who knows he might not come back off an injury as well.   

Either way they are not a better team without Shaq Mason than with him but not a surprise they are unwilling to pay, but getting a 5th round pick for him is a flat out steal for the Buccaneers all the way around.  Just lost a decent guard to retirement and fill that void with Shaq Mason as Tom Brady is coming back, that will help protect him and help the run game no question.  

But yeah moving Wynn to guard who was not great at LT anyway is a decent move, has a build of a guard and his lack of length hurt him at LT.  

Also, **** happens, just because a dude starts out great does not always mean he will be great.  Look at Matt Kalil, dude looked like a potential Hall of Fame player as a rookie, Pro Bowler as a rookie but was his only Pro Bowl in his career, had some injuries and over time just got worse and worse and worse.  So longevity does matter and is important.  

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

No, it is saying Shaq Mason is proven and has come back from multiple injuries, Onwenu needs to play with consistency over a long period of time not a short one and who knows he might not come back off an injury as well.   

Either way they are not a better team without Shaq Mason than with him but not a surprise they are unwilling to pay, but getting a 5th round pick for him is a flat out steal for the Buccaneers all the way around.  Just lost a decent guard to retirement and fill that void with Shaq Mason as Tom Brady is coming back, that will help protect him and help the run game no question.  

But yeah moving Wynn to guard who was not great at LT anyway is a decent move, has a build of a guard and his lack of length hurt him at LT.  

Also, **** happens, just because a dude starts out great does not always mean he will be great.  Look at Matt Kalil, dude looked like a potential Hall of Fame player as a rookie, Pro Bowler as a rookie but was his only Pro Bowl in his career, had some injuries and over time just got worse and worse and worse.  So longevity does matter and is important.  

You play the better player with more years in front of him. Like any investment, there is risk, but if you managed a team like that you are doomed to fail. 

Mason gave up 15 pressures in 15 games, which is pretty good. He's good for a pressure given up per game at least. This is exactly the rate that Brown gave up pressures (9 in 9). It's the run blocking where Mason really gets his high pff grades from though

• Like 1

I don’t understand how trading works in the NFL. There’s simply no way the Patriots broadcasted Mason’s availability to the league only to get a late 5th rounder back for a player with 2 years of team control. 

When I opened this thread I assumed Mason was definitely entering a contract year.