Patriots trade G Shaq Mason to Buccaneers for 5th round pick

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Why would they trade Shaq Mason, that dude is a very good guard, maybe they plan to move Wynn into OG and draft a LT.  Just seems like an odd move and get so little from it.  

I said it already in this thread, but my theory is they want Owenu and Wynn at guard. Probably hoping for Trent to resign and they are rumored for Collins from Dallas who plays mostly RT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I said it already in this thread, but my theory is they want Owenu and Wynn at guard. Probably hoping for Trent to resign and they are rumored for Collins from Dallas who plays mostly RT

even if they wanted to trade, they surely could have gotten a better return? A 5th Round pick for a pretty good starting guard that is on a reasonable contract for next 2 years looks like an absolute steal. There are many teams that are in need of upgrading their OL

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I would agree with that totally, I honestly never liked Wynn at LT anyway, Owenu for sure is a decent guard.  Collins?  Sure they can go ahead with him but what play Trent Brown at LT?  Not sure that would work, Collins Dallas does not want for a reason but he arguably could be better as a guard.  Just seems odd because I would say Mason is better than Owenu at guard.

2 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

even if they wanted to trade, they surely could have gotten a better return? A 5th Round pick for a pretty good starting guard that is on a reasonable contract for next 2 years looks like an absolute steal. There are many teams that are in need of upgrading their OL

not arguing that

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

you'd be wrong. Owenu has been the best patriots OL since his rookie year

Owenu started 24 out of 32 career games.

Shaq Mason started 98 out of 103 career games.  

Sure Owenu maybe is better recently, but the dude has not even started half the games Shaq Mason has.  Mason has been in the league 7 years, Owenu 2 so one is clearly a bit more proven than the other.  

18 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Brown had his best season as a pro in NE as the LT.

I guess, then went over to the Raiders and kind of sucked, and that year he did have Joe Thuney next to him who is one of the best guards in the league.  But yeah maybe that is what they do have Brown play LT and the RT but Collins the dude struggles in pass pro big time.  

Must be cap-related mostly.

It’s a deep OL crop in the draft this year and BB knows how to find ‘em (drafted Thuney, Mason, and Onwenu so…).

Always part of Bill’s big picture. You would think he could have found a 4th in return though. Slipping in his old age?