Ravens Sign OLB Za'Darius Smith

AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And we're likely to go CB/EDGE in the first round, too.

Why are you guys in on Edge in the draft still? Especially in the top 15? 

Just curious cause you drafted an Edge last year in the first and Z is locked in for multiple years now as well. Eagles obviously need CB/EDGE as well so was hoping you guys might look at offense which seems to be a bigger issue, especially on the OL.

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if these deal looks like a steal for Baltimore. I still believe Z has a good amount left in the tank.

Me too.

even after missing 16 regular season games he still recorded a sack during his 1 playoff game.

Give this guy a full offseason of recovery time and I think he's going to feast for Baltimore. 

14 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Why are you guys in on Edge in the draft still? Especially in the top 15? 

Just curious cause you drafted an Edge last year in the first and Z is locked in for multiple years now as well. Eagles obviously need CB/EDGE as well so was hoping you guys might look at offense which seems to be a bigger issue, especially on the OL.

I think with Z coming here, the chances of EDGE are significantly less that's for sure. It's probably all CB at this point, but EDGE was a huge need for us coming into this. If we go offense it'll probably be OC.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

But...

I thought Cap Hell was fake?

I thought Salary Cap was a myth. 

I've been told NFL Salary Cap Space doesn't exist. 

So...

Either I was lied to or Green Bay just didn't like him as a player and wanted to lose his outside/edge rushing abilities and for absolutely nothingness?

Or you are proving over and over again that you don't get it.

We LOVED Z.  Would have loved to have kept him.  But he is getting really close to 30 and has a bad back.  Add in his huge cap hit and this was something that GB needed to do.

We are fortunate to get Preston Smith back.  Of the two, Z is the better rusher and disruptor.  P is better in the run game and offers a little rush.  P has also been more durable.

I wish Z well.  He was a beast for us and I do hope his back issues are, uh, behind him and he keeps racking up the sacks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

OL is for sure our biggest need but the value might not be right at 14. BPA will probably be a CB or EDGE player. CB is a larger need of ours with no good options behind Marlon and a soon to be 30 Y/O Marcus Peters. If Stingley is still on the board for example, most Ravens fans expect/predict the FO would select him. 

EDGE isn't a burning need or anything now, but there's certainly room in the pipeline for more pass rush pieces/contributors. ZDS is a great interior rusher, and Oweh and Bowser(Coming off an Achilles) are frequently moved around the front as well. A young and talented EDGE rusher wouldn't be hard to fit in. It's less likely now that we've signed Smith and Travon Walker's(Who was a perfect fit for Baltimore's defense) stock went from Top 15-20 to Top 5, but it still feels more likely than us reaching for an OT/IOL valued in that 20-32 range at Pick 14- that's just not something Baltimore typically does. 

• Like 2

Rumor had it that GB wanted him back at that lesser number.  It isn't that GB didn't want him, they just didn't want him at his high cap hit this year.

I worry about his back, no doubt.  But I don't question the motor.  You will get good things out of Z.  And if he ain't playing, he's really, really hurt.  Dude is a warrior.

57 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Why didn't Green Bay keep him long term

Yeah he missed the entire season last year but throughout 2019 and 2020 (combined) he combined for 26 sacks, played all 32 games along with an insane amount of 90 QB pressures and made two Pro Bowls for the Packers. 

Heck. He only played 1 regular season game last year but then returned for their playoff game and Recorded 1 sack. 

And @ only 29 years old can someone (anyone) please explain to me why the Green Bay Packers would lose him to FA and lose him for absolutely nothingness?

Excellent gamble on behalf of Baltimore.

Injury and we drafted Rashan Gary for a reason. One of the Smith brothers was gonna have to go.

Quickly became one of my favorite players in the league. He was a beast on the field and a great teammate aswell. I am happy he went to the AFC, and to a respectable team that I can easily cheer and root for. Back injuries are no joke, especially for bigger bodies playing such a physical position. Hope he's able to finish his career out healthy. Thank you for the years in Green Bay, Z! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well...uh....almost?

Can't blame a fella for dreaming right? Honestly what that deal is reported to look like is a 3/53 which the Rams were offering 17 aav so not far off. Best of luck to him unless we play them.