Ravens Sign OLB Za'Darius Smith

AFlaccoSeagulls

Why didn't Green Bay keep him long term

Yeah he missed the entire season last year but throughout 2019 and 2020 (combined) he combined for 26 sacks, played all 32 games along with an insane amount of 90 QB pressures and made two Pro Bowls for the Packers. 

Heck. He only played 1 regular season game last year but then returned for their playoff game and Recorded 1 sack. 

And @ only 29 years old can someone (anyone) please explain to me why the Green Bay Packers would lose him to FA and lose him for absolutely nothingness?

Excellent gamble on behalf of Baltimore.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

@DefenseWinsChampionships I don't think I can tell you why Green Bay did not keep him. Your head may explode after the last 2 days.

Is starts with Sal _ _ _ and ends with _ ap.

But...

I thought Cap Hell was fake?

I thought Salary Cap was a myth. 

I've been told NFL Salary Cap Space doesn't exist. 

So...

Either I was lied to or Green Bay just didn't like him as a player and wanted to lose his outside/edge rushing abilities and for absolutely nothingness?

• Like 1

Just now, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

But...

So...

Either I was lied to or Green Bay just didn't like him as a player and wanted to lose his outside/edge rushing abilities and for absolutely nothingness?

Its bendable but even the Cowboys let a bunch of guys walk.

You still have to pick and choose especially when your QB and WR insist on being the highest paid players in NFL History (by position)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

But...

So...

Responses like this do you no favors because it makes it seem like you are completely unable to grasp the concept of nuance. 

Of course it's real. But it's moldable. Teams have to make short and long term choices. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

But...

So...

They're all piling on, but you're right. Green Bay moved on because he's about to hit 30 and had a persistent back issue. 4/$50mil might actually look like an overpay if he starts missing games consistently.

Just now, NudeTayne said:

They're all piling on, but you're right. Green Bay moved on because he's about to hit 30 and had a persistent back issue. 4/$50mil might actually look like an overpay if he starts missing games consistently.

I'm sure we have playing time incentives built in but yeah it's a risk given his recent injury history and also given we signed Derek Wolfe a couple of years ago who hasn't really played for us at all because of back issues.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Yeah, back issues are scary as hell for pass rusher. Basically ended ziggy's career. Dee Ford probably would have been a lot better as well. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Responses like this do you no favors because it makes it seem like you are completely unable to grasp the concept of nuance. 

Of course it's real. But it's moldable. Teams have to make short and long term choices. 

Those weren't my words those words of "myth, fake, doesn't exist" were words from multiple others. 

I know what salary cap hell is about. I'm a Jets fan.

And teams who head into Free Agency in cap hell will ALWAYS lose key impactful talented players by force (not by choice). 

And I knew why Green Bay lost their edge rusher Za'Darius Smith before asking the question; I just wanted to double check and make sure others also knew too. 

The NFL Salary Cap is real (and teams lose awesome players because of it every single offseason).

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships