Ravens Sign OLB Za'Darius Smith

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Those weren't my words those words of "myth, fake, doesn't exist" were words from multiple others. 

I know what salary cap hell is about. I'm a Jets fan.

And teams who head into Free Agency in cap hell will ALWAYS lose key impactful talented players by force (not by choice). 

And I knew why Green Bay lost their edge rusher Za'Darius Smith before asking the question; I just wanted to double check and make sure others also knew too. 

The NFL Salary Cap is real (and teams lose awesome players because of it every single offseason).

The salary cap doesn't exist - until your QB and #1 WR are taking up 40% of the cap all by themselves.  ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

That’s not how you spell Aaron Rodgers

I noticed that he insisted on 10 million above the next highest player for the 2 year extension (5 each year).

I also noticed that his WR1 really wants that 10 million right now.

Salary Cap still covers that, right?

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ronnie Stanley, Morgan Moses and Ju'Wuan James we've already got that solidified.

We have to stop with this. He's played games since the start of the 2019 season and they were all in 2019.

He's essentially missed the last 46 games of his career, and he was average on a good ay before that. He figures into nothing.

Edited by Ray Reed

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A busted back.

He didn't look like he had a "busted back" during his 1 playoff game (after missing the entire offseason) while recording 1 postseason sack and I think after a full offseason of rest he'll be ready to go come 2022.

Two Pro Bowls die to 26 sacks and 90 QB Pressures throughout 2019-2020 combined?

Ravens got themselves a 6'4/272 lbs pass rusher.

1 minute ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

He didn't look like he had a "busted back" during his 1 playoff game (after missing the entire offseason) while recording 1 postseason sack and I think after a full offseason of rest he'll be ready to go come 2022.

Two Pro Bowls die to 26 sacks and 90 QB Pressures throughout 2019-2020 combined?

Ravens got themselves a 6'4/272 lbs pass rusher.

He played in 18 snaps in the Saints game before missing the rest of the regular season, and he had 19 snaps against the 49ers.  A $26M (or whatever it was) cap hit for 37 snaps is awful use of resources.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A busted back.

That's certainly a part of it.
But the reality is that they drafted Z's replacement in Rashan Gary and Gary has played really well so far.
If Gary had busted ( as predicted by many numbnuts on this site) then the Packers would have shown more interest in having Z stick around.
Many think this is a pure cap cut - its not. It was part of the plan the day the Packers signed Z to that structured FA deal and it solidified the day they drafted his replacement.

Cap always plays a role, but smart teams plan ahead- and by having Z on the team, it accelerated the maturation of Gary.
It doesn't always work out, but in this case it did - and Z moved on. The NFL is a game of replacement...

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

We have to stop with this. He's played games since the start of the 2019 season and they were all in 2019.

He's essentially missed the last 46 games of his career, and he was average on a good ay before that. He figures into nothing.

He figures into "he's our backup's backup swing OT", which I think is a pretty fair expectation for someone of his background.

11 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's certainly a part of it.
But the reality is that they drafted Z's replacement in Rashan Gary and Gary has played really well so far.
If Gary had busted ( as predicted by many numbnuts on this site) then the Packers would have shown more interest in having Z stick around.
Many think this is a pure cap cut - its not. It was part of the plan the day the Packers signed Z to that structured FA deal and it solidified the day they drafted his replacement.

Cap always plays a role, but smart teams plan ahead- and by having Z on the team, it accelerated the maturation of Gary.
It doesn't always work out, but in this case it did - and Z moved on. The NFL is a game of replacement...

If the situation was reversed and Preston Smith missed the entire year with a broken back and Z was healthy and productive, do you think the Packers would have extended Z and released Preston?  Or would they have done what they did?