The New York 🏈 Jets sign TE Tyler Conklin (26 years old) from Minnesota.

DefenseWinsChampionships

8 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

Strongest Jets TE room I can ever remember. 

Imagine spending $15M/year, and walking away with an average TE room.  That's poor use of resources.  Conklin is a really solid TE2, but you're paying him $7M/year to do so.  You can find someone just as productive for a HELL of a lot cheaper in the draft.  Not sure the Uzomah signing is any better.  Both look like guys you want as TE2, but neither are going to drastically change the TE room.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Imagine spending $15M/year, and walking away with an average TE room.  That's poor use of resources.  Conklin is a really solid TE2, but you're paying him $7M/year to do so.  You can find someone just as productive for a HELL of a lot cheaper in the draft.  Not sure the Uzomah signing is any better.  Both look like guys you want as TE2, but neither are going to drastically change the TE room.

Indeed. Neither is a TE1 and neither is going to move the needle very much for your offense.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

$15M (combined) is nothing for two productive TEs because productive pass catching TEs have always been a younger QBs best friend and Zach Wilson more importantly will improve tremendously because of it (in comparison to having 4 absolute crap TEs as a Rookie).

Robert Tonyan throughout his first 4 years has never had a season with as many receptions/receiving yards as Tyler Conklin just recorded last year and now Robert Tonyan is coming off an ACL injury @ 27 years old (Tyler Conklin is only 26).

Yes yes yes. 

I'd much rather have Tyler Conklin than Robert Tonyan.

And now having C.J. Uzomah gives NY a better TE duo than a lot of teams (Green Bay included).

Better yet is instead of using our 36th or 38th picks of the 2nd round on a TE? 

We can now attack other positions of weakness such as Safety/LB/CB or even an absolute RB monster in Breece Hall (to feast alongside Michael Carter for a Thunder/Lightning duo) because our TE room is now complete.

And this TE draft class is extremely deep we can draft a 4th/5th round TE (two picks each round) and completely 100% improve our entire TE room (in comparison to 2021's atrocious TE group).

And from what I'm reading both of these TEs can run block their *** off. 

I'm fired up about a duo of Tyler Conklin/C.J. Uzomah and there's not much a Green Bay Packers fan can tell me to make me feel differently.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Indeed. Neither is a TE1 and neither is going to move the needle very much for your offense.

I completely disagree because...

Tyler Conklin/C.J. Uzomah (2021) combined...

140 Targets.

78.5% Catch Rate Percentage.

110 Receptions. 

1,086 Receiving Yards. 

8 TDs. 

• Receiver Rating of 109.7.

Completely says otherwise.

PS: C.J. Uzomah balled out during both of Cincinnati's first two playoff games and Joe Burrow doesn't beat neither one of Raiders/Tennessee without him (he stepped up big time).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it does for the Jets, just because their TEs were that awful last year.

That said, I’d rather have gone in on someone like Hooper and Howard, a consistent player + a high upside player, than an Uzomah + Conklin combo. 

1 minute ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

$15M (combined) is nothing for two productive TEs because productive pass catching TEs have always been a younger QBs best friend and Zach Wilson more importantly will improve tremendously because of it (in comparison to having 4 absolute crap TEs as a Rookie).

They were productive because Jack Conklin was the 3rd option in Minnesota behind Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen.  CJ Uzomah was the 4th option behind Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd.  Let's assume for a second that they continue to be the 3rd and 4th option for the Jets, which means they're likely behind Corey Davis and Elijah Moore.  Didn't the Jets give Berrios $6M/year?

4 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I completely disagree because...

Tyler Conklin/C.J. Uzomah (2021) combined...

140 Targets.

78.5% Catch Rate Percentage.

110 Receptions. 

1,086 Receiving Yards. 

8 TDs. 

• Receiver Rating of 109.7.

Completely says otherwise.

PS: C.J. Uzomah balled out during both of Cincinnati's first two playoff games and Joe Burrow doesn't beat neither one of Raiders/Tennessee without him (he stepped up big time).

Wow that's great, they also played for much better QB's and in much better offensive systems behind much better players which allowed them to be #3/#4 options. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I haven't watched them both play (outside of highlight videos) but from looking @ their Statistics, Tyler Conklin during 2021 alone (almost) put up better numbers than Irv Smith Jr. throughout both of his 2019/2020 season(s) combined.

Irv Smith 2019-2020 (combined).

29 Games (14 Starts).

90 targets. 

66 receptions.

73.3% Catch Rate Percentage. 

676 Receiving Yards. 

7 TD Receptions.

1,157 Plays (snap count).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tyler Conklin 2021

17 Games (15 Starts). 

87 Targets. 

61 Receptions. 

70.1% Catch Rate Percentage. 

593 Receiving Yards. 

3 TDs. 

924 Plays (snap count).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They both look pretty productive and Irv Smith Jr. is only 23 vs. Conklin 26 so I can understand why Minnesota decided to go with Irv Smith Jr. over Tyler Conklin but nonetheless I'm pretty excited about this guy. 

How is Conklin's run blocking/pass protection for a TE?

Wouldn’t say Conklin stands out as a blocker, which is neither good nor bad. 

Smith is a more dynamic player and better athlete. He doesn’t have the size that Conklin has. In your typical two TE set, Smith was more your move guy with Conklin playing in line. With MN moving to more 3 WR sets, Smith will need to transition so I hope his lack of size isn’t a hindrance for him. Ultimately, MN has a top level WR trio in Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn so those guys need to see the field over a second TE. Just hope Smith can do it. He’s younger and cheaper which certainly plays a role in the decision as well.

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wow that's great, they also played for much better QB's and in much better offensive systems behind much better players which allowed them to be #3/#4 options. 

Kirk Cousins 100% isn't more talented than Zach Wilson who has an A++ type of Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes/Josh Allen arm talents. He made throws last year that I've never seen a Jets QB make before.

Kid was drafted into absolute 2-14 crap team and surrounded by crap almost everywhere. 

And believe it or not but Zach Wilson's QB Rating in college was 6th All-Time within NCAA history during 2020 before coming out early. 

And believe it or not but Zach Wilson as a Rookie had a better (passing) season than Josh Allen did as a Rookie. 

Draft a 1st round WR and another O-Linemen during the 1st two rounds (4 picks) and Zach Wilson is going to show off during his 2nd year and that's because he looked really good during his final 10 games of his Rookie year despite...

A) Having more Offensive teammates miss games due to covid/injury than any QB in the league

and

B.) Faced the NFLs #1 and most difficult Defensive Schedule (of any QB in the league).

Can't wait to see this kid within a much improved Offense because his arm talents are already extremely impressive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Knew this thread would be a banger when I read the title. Not disappointed.

Honestly, its a total ish show. This guy created like 80 pages of Schultz propaganda, and then was like "Schultz who, look at our 500 yard TE". I rotate between utter shock and completely losing it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Honestly, its a total ish show. This guy created like 80 pages of Schultz propaganda, and then was like "Schultz who, look at our 500 yard TE". I rotate between utter shock and completely losing it. 

You gotta hand it to this guy, his ability to hype up average or below-average players is just unparalleled. If this guy isn't already an agent for an NFL player, he should be. Of course, 99% of what he says is complete garbage and completely false, misleading, or missing massive amounts of context, but who cares!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

BUT LOOK AT THEIR COMBINED STATS ON COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAMS IN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OFFENSES!!!!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You gotta hand it to this guy, his ability to hype up average or below-average players is just unparalleled. If this guy isn't already an agent for an NFL player, he should be. Of course, 99% of what he says is complete garbage and completely false, misleading, or missing massive amounts of context, but who cares!

See him calling Myles jack really good cuz tackles