Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

1. I think the Browns have underperformed with the talent they have accumulated, and the quarterback always gets the credit and blame.

2. He tries for too many home run balls to be consistently successful, and the current coaches believe in taking what the defense gives you.

3. I have never been in a meeting room with either Baker or Deshaun, so I cannot comment either way about the truth of the adult comment. I will say there is a difference between football maturity and having a fetish you cannot control.

4. With that said, I would fire the person who leaked the adult comment if I could identify him or her, and I would not spend the trade capital needed in this case to acquire a quarterback with that big of a distraction looming over his head.

5. If the breakup was fiendishly planned by the coaching staff, they better have a draftable quarterback prospect they believe in.

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The difference is you don't see Matt Ryan who has spent 15 years with 1 team b*****ing about it like a dejected school girl with their feelings hurt.

Ryan is handling it like a professional. Just like Jimmy G did--who took his team to 2 NFCCGs and 1 Superbowl in a 3 year stretch and they STILL drafted his replacement.

Baker has no right to complain about anything. Nothing. At all.

I emphatically disagree. If it weren't for Baker, the Browns wouldn't have even gotten to the point they did the last couple of years. Baker has been balling out for them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Techbert said:

1. I think the Browns have underperformed with the talent they have accumulated, and the quarterback always gets the credit and blame.

2. He tries for too many home run balls to be consistently successful, and the current coaches believe in taking what the defense gives you.

3. I have never been in a meeting room with either Baker or Deshaun, so I cannot comment either way about the truth of the adult comment. I will say there is a difference between football maturity and having a fetish you cannot control.

4. With that said, I would fire the person who leaked the adult comment if I could identify him or her, and I would not spend the trade capital needed in this case to acquire a quarterback with that big of a distraction looming over his head.

5. If the breakup was fiendishly planned by the coaching staff, they better have a draftable quarterback prospect they believe in.

Good points. The Browns had to understand the optics associated with them even being covertly interested in Watson, let alone having it pretty much out in the open.

At that point you are pretty much pushing all of your chips in.

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I emphatically disagree. If it weren't for Baker, the Browns wouldn't have even gotten to the point they did the last couple of years. Baker has been balling out for them.

This objectively wrong, by every statistical metric Baker has been mediocre 

https://twitter.com/codysuek/status/1504557797601693702?s=21

He was a bottom 5 QB last year and the Browns still won 8 games, the notion he’s been carrying this franchise is ridiculous 

Edited by BrownsDog23

Just now, BrownsDog23 said:

This objectively wrong, by every statistical metric Baker has been mediocre https://twitter.com/codysuek/status/1504557797601693702?s=21

He was a bottom 5 QB last year and the Browns still won 8 games, the notion he’s been carrying this franchise is ridiculous 

I mean it's fair to say that Chubb, and the defense have also had a major part, but it definitely wasn't the WRs. He was definitely part of it.

He hasn't been "carrying" the franchise, but he has been a part of both their success and their failures. No one is denying an upgrade would be good for them. The issue is that they've completely mishandled this entire situation. 

7 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

The adult comment was uncalled for and the straw. So you want to potentially replace the guy because he isn't an "adult", for a guy who either committed sexual assault against 22 women, or at best case put himself in a position to where he could be accused of committing assault against them. Thats definitely the type of guy I want as the face of my franchise. 

I want to replace him with a guy who I dont have to worry about whoever that may be, Im simply saying acting like Baker has been some sort of saint who out of nowhere got blindsided by a comment from the Browns is naïve. 

The Browns FO literally had to have sitdown meetings with him about how he handled the media and sent him on a apology tour to ESPN and Fox after his sophomore season. His immaturity has been veiled by 'Im a competitor and Im not going to change who I am because thats whats gotten me to this point" .

Like taunting Hue Jackson on the sideline during the Bengals game and giving him cold shoulder after......

Im sure its exhausting after a while having to constantly teach somebody how to act like a professional QB 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I emphatically disagree. If it weren't for Baker Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, the Browns wouldn't have even gotten to the point they did the last couple of years. Baker Chubb and Hunt has been balling out for them.

FIFY

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It's what I'd expect Browns to say now that they know Cleveland is moving on from him. But it hasn't stopped Browns fans from supporting him the last few years 

I find it more amusing that a bunch of people who have trashed BM for the past 2+ years are all of a sudden his biggest supporters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I find it more amusing that a bunch of people who have trashed BM for the past 2+ years are all of a sudden his biggest supporters.

I'm SIMPLY SAYING the situation was mishandled. 

Mayfield is a slightly above average to average QB. He isn't the awesome QB Browns fans have treated him like since he was drafted. But Jim Haslam botched this situation. 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I'm SIMPLY SAYING the situation was mishandled. 

Mayfield is a slightly above average to average QB. He isn't the awesome QB Browns fans have treated him like since he was drafted. But Jim Haslam botched this situation. 

and I am simply saying that there are a lot of people on here that want to act like the Browns comment wasnt deserved and BM is somehow the victim when in actuality it was a long time coming. Thats all

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

and I am simply saying that there are a lot of people on here that want to act like the Browns comment wasnt deserved and BM is somehow the victim when in actuality it was a long time coming. Thats all

The separation has been coming. How it was handled was simply pathetic.

The Browns Organization looks like a bunch of tools right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That’s the thing. You’ve noted Baker’s poor PR behavior, and how the Browns have taken issue with it.

Now the Browns have committed poor PR behavior themselves. No franchise should speak of their current players in this way.

This isn’t about Baker. It’s about the Browns.

• Like 2

Just now, Duluther said:

That’s the thing. You’ve noted Baker’s poor PR behavior, and how the Browns have taken issue with it.

Now the Browns have committed poor PR behavior themselves. No franchise should speak of their current players in this way.

This isn’t about Baker. It’s about the Browns.

Ive stated it wasnt a good look from the Browns, but it was deserved. Baker has done/said 100 different immature things over the course of 4 years and the Browns have either handled it internally or stuck up for him. 

Eventually enough is enough

I feel like the browns had every right to try and coax Watson.

Baker played better than many of their recent QBs but he still wasn't great or anything. I always thought they should have leaned HEAVILY on Chubb, but it's like they barely wanted to give him the ball for some reason.

At this point they should trade him. You could probably get similar production from a FA QB, and I don't really see Baker taking that "Next step. Just my thoughts 🤷‍♂️