Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

This argument is so silly to me

Here is what I believe

1. Everyone handled the situation poorly, and this never should have gone public
  2. Browns hold the power over Baker. The gap between Baker and Keenum is narrower than people think, and Baker loses much more by not playing. Ultimately, I think a trade happens, but not because Baker holds the cards
  3. Browns are going to be around .500, but probably miss the playoffs, regardless of which QB they use this season
  4. One way or another, this will end up being a good thing for everybody, because a long term relationship was going to fail here. Browns can conclusively turn their attentions to finding a new QB, and Baker can eventually get out and start over fresh

Am I on some weird island were everything is reversed? The Browns. We are talking about the Browns. The very team that left their city to become good. The owner that drafted a coke head because of a homeless guy. 

Baker is the only thing keeping them from being the Lions. Ya know, cause their entire existence is practically as bad as the lions, pre baker. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Yes. I think the Browns without Baker drop straight into the toilet. 

You're entitled to your opinion

Because in 60 years, you never have.

60 years is incredibly disingenuous. 20, absolutely, I suppose 25 if you want to include the move years/post Bernie Kosar years.

You arent getting lucky this go around. 

Getting lucky? These rookie contracts are infinitely more reasonable than 20 of those above 25 years.

We are still talking about the Browns, right?

Im not even saying Baker is great. What I am saying is that he does the most to affect your w/l column and he is in the black when you consider the previous decades. 

And sometimes, average isn't good enough. They're at that point. If they go into the tank, so be it, but their All Pro RB, 3 Pro Bowl OL, All pro DE, and all pro CB deserve a concerted effort to make a run with the current roster they have.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

The very team that left their city to become good.

I suggest you get your facts straight before making absurd comments like this. I get that you're edgy, but you lose all credibility when you say garbage like this. They were 11-5 and won a playoff game the year before their owner moved them because he signed a secret new stadium contract that he turned down in Cleveland a few years before when The Q and Jacobs (Now Progressive) Field were built off of the same grant that pitched him a new stadium.

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Am I on some weird island were everything is reversed? The Browns. We are talking about the Browns. The very team that left their city to become good. The owner that drafted a coke head because of a homeless guy. 

Baker is the only thing keeping them from being the Lions. Ya know, cause their entire existence is practically as bad as the lions, pre baker. 

huh?

Browns are a top 3 rushing offense, but a bottom 10 passing offense

Many people picked the Browns to be one of the top contenders to take down the Chiefs for the AFC title, and they did so because of the entire roster construction - almost in spite of Baker, not because of him

You're living in 2018, not 2022

• Like 2

I do not see how Baker has some amount of crazy leverage. The guy is ok and that is it. He is absolutely replaceable and it could be done this offseason by simply trading for Jimmy G.

Idk why the Browns are so adament on holding onto him though. It makes no sense. They clearly don't believe in him going forward, so just go get a new QB. There are guys in FA and available for trade that are going to do basically the same thing as Baker and you already have burned the bridge. What the Browns are doing right now is absolute mismanagment from the top down. It is a really, really bad look.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Here's the reality:

The Browns probably made a mistake in the "adult" comment, especially while pursuing Watson (and they're not wrong on Baker's maturity or lack thereof).

No "probably" here. That was a tipping point mistake. Which is why I'm so curious how that got out and who made it.

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You think FAs will sign there if Baker lobbies against it?

At his point offensive FA's aren't coming to the Browns because of Baker.

Mayfield had a great rookie year and a pretty good second half stretch in 2020. Besides that he's been a bottom tier QB. This team is good right now because of this front office and coaching staff. They'll find a guy at or better than Mayfield. As I said months back, there are likely decision makers in the building that can't wait to get another guy. That "adult" comment reinforces that.

True or False:

The Browns can concurrently trade for Jimmy G and trade away Baker Mayfield to the Colts/Seahawks. They will get more compensation for Baker than they pay for Jimmy. Their record will be equal, or better because of the trade. Either way they will look for a long term option in the offseason

I absolutely believe every word of the above statement is true

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I suggest you get your facts straight before making absurd comments like this. I get that you're edgy, but you lose all credibility when you say garbage like this. They were 11-5 and won a playoff game the year before their owner moved them because he signed a secret new stadium contract that he turned down in Cleveland a few years before when The Q and Jacobs (Now Progressive) Field were built off of the same grant that pitched him a new stadium.

Nope. I am not wrong on this. The Browns fired the GOAT coach, and his staff with the GOAT college coach and like 2 GMs or something absurd and then dusted off, came back as the best defense ever and won a bowl.

Them moving at midnight is well known. 

Your city is cursed. 

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

huh?

Browns are a top 3 rushing offense, but a bottom 10 passing offense

Many people picked the Browns to be one of the top contenders to take down the Chiefs for the AFC title, and they did so because of the entire roster construction - almost in spite of Baker, not because of him

You're living in 2018, not 2022

I dont think I am. Synergy from the FO/HC runs through every playcall a QB makes. I dont think they will be top 3 rushing without Baker. I dont think they win 6 games without Baker.

Maybe I wrong. We will see. 

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So, to be clear, you think that the Browns NEED Baker to be their future and franchise QB or they're going to be set back almost a decade with the roster they have?

Why can't they draft a guy? Why can't they trade for one? Why can't they sign a free agent?

Monday Night Raw Sport GIF by WWE

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Because in 60 years, you never have. You arent getting lucky this go around. 

Ring Of Honor Roh GIF by Ian Riccaboni

5 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

True or False:

The Browns can concurrently trade for Jimmy G and trade away Baker Mayfield to the Colts/Seahawks. They will get more compensation for Baker than they pay for Jimmy. Their record will be equal, or better because of the trade. Either way they will look for a long term option in the offseason

I absolutely believe every word of the above statement is true

EDIT: Or trade for Matt Ryan if Watson to the Falcons plays out as momentum seems to indicate

Nope. I am not wrong on this. The Browns fired the GOAT coach, and his staff with the GOAT college coach and like 2 GMs or something absurd and then dusted off, came back as the best defense ever and won a bowl.

You are a colossal moron when you dig your heels in and you know that I love you. Art Modell fired BB in February 15 of 1996, meaning:

https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the-cle/articles/cle-myths-bill-belichick-fired

You know who fired him? The Baltimore "Somethings" since Modell said a nickname could wait.

On Feb. 10, 1996, according to the Washington Post, a vote by the NFL owners had approved Modell’s move to Baltimore — as long as the colors and naming rights remained in Cleveland. That Washington Post article quoted Modell calling his team the “Baltimore Somethings,” and the Associated Press even referred to Modell as “owner of the Baltimore NFL franchise formerly known as the Cleveland Browns.”

But despite promises, the coach’s famously prickly attitude rubbed the PR-obsessed millionaire the wrong way. So on Feb. 14, 1996, Art Modell dumped Belichick over the phone. “The search for a new nickname can wait,” wrote the AP on Feb. 15, 1996.

“First, Art Modell needs to find a new coach.” “Art Modell’s football team fired Bill Belichick,”

Them moving at midnight is well known. 

You're literally talking about the COLTS

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/baltimore-colts-move-to-indianapolis#:~:text=On March 28%2C 1984%2C Bob,the city of Baltimore slept.

THEY MOVED FROM BALTIMORE TO INDIANAPOLIS

Your city is cursed. 

Duh

Just now, Tk3 said:

EDIT: Or trade for Matt Ryan if Watson to the Falcons plays out as momentum seems to indicate

I think they do slightly worse with Ryan. He's deteriorating and he has no arm strength in ideal climates/domes, let alone on Lake Erie.