Packers trade WR Davante Adams to the Raiders

deltarich87

Just now, Scoremore said:

Nah FA market is devoid of talent.  Maybe we can engineer a trade or look after cut downs.  Pretty bleak out there.  Why I think the way I do.  At least 1 WR in the top 53  possibly 2 with the first 4 picks.  Don't know how anyone could be sold on Amari either.  They'll bring in competition for him too.  Even with Cobb and Rodgers we could still take that KR/PR slot type receiver in the middle rounds.  Nah think Gute is going to hit it early and often.  We'll see should be interesting.  

No.  It's devoid of elite talent.  There's no true #1, but there's some solid #2's.  And unless you think Seattle is willing to move Metcalf or Lockett, there's probably not a whole lot of WR talent available via trade either.

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Unless a WR trade option is really cheap in terms of pick,  why not draft 2 and grab a veteran closer to/ after the draft?

Julio, Green, Hilton, Landry, sanders, Jackson are options

I would assume that's probably the most likely scenario.  I really don't envision a scenario where the Packers are paying much for a veteran WR in terms of $$$ or draft picks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would assume that's probably the most likely scenario.  I really don't envision a scenario where the Packers are paying much for a veteran WR in terms of $$$ or draft picks.

This ^

I'm just not bowled over by the FA talent pool. I'd rather the team bypass them and just go for serious young talent.
We can "rebuild" without actually rebuilding.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Certainly not for what some might be looking for.

Wait it out, if 2-3 veterans get signed, then reconsider and make a push for 1.  

Draft is deep at WR, so restock there.

WR in round 1/2 and another in 2-4.

Depends on value at the slot

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

This ^

I'm just not bowled over by the FA talent pool. I'd rather the team bypass them and just go for serious young talent.
We can "rebuild" without actually rebuilding.

I think a rookie WR can produce.  It might not be a Day 1, but I'd envision that by the end of the year the "trust" will be built between he and Rodgers.  Jaylen Waddle had 105/1015 this year, Devonta Smith had 64/916 this year,  Jerry Jeudy had 52/856 last year, CeeDee Lamb had 74/935 last year, and even Aiyuk had 60/748.  They're not going to replace Adams' production overnight, but they can piece together production.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Certainly not for what some might be looking for.

Wait it out, if 2-3 veterans get signed, then reconsider and make a push for 1.  

Draft is deep at WR, so restock there.

WR in round 1/2 and another in 2-4.

Depends on value at the slot

I think we're a 1 veteran, 2 draftees from a full WR room.  Lazard, Cobb, and Rodgers are virtual locks in the WR room.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I think a rookie WR can produce.  It might not be a Day 1, but I'd envision that by the end of the year the "trust" will be built between he and Rodgers.  Jaylen Waddle had 105/1015 this year, Devonta Smith had 64/916 this year,  Jerry Jeudy had 52/856 last year, CeeDee Lamb had 74/935 last year, and even Aiyuk had 60/748.  They're not going to replace Adams' production overnight, but they can piece together production.

I agree and I've *never* bought into this AR wont throw to rookies crap. Makes absolutely no sense to me - especially when I see other rookie WRs producing.

For all his talents - AR comes with some serious "caveats" and limitations to his game (throwing in the "I wont throw to you till I trust you" crap).

Throw the ball. Let the Wide *Receivers* earn their pay.

I think we're a 1 veteran, 2 draftees from a full WR room.  Lazard, Cobb, and Rodgers are virtual locks in the WR room.

Agreed.

Maybe Rodgers is good with some rookies + Lazard + Cobb + Amari Rodgers 

Put a chip on his shoulder about not having an elite WR.  

Maybe Gutekunst is pushing a few buttons to motivate Rodgers

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

I agree and I've *never* bought into this AR wont throw to rookies crap. Makes absolutely no sense to me - especially when I see other rookie WRs producing.

For all his talents - AR comes with some serious "caveats" and limitations to his game (throwing in the "I wont throw to you till I trust you" crap).

Throw the ball. Let the Wide *Receivers* earn their pay.

I mean, I think he'd rather throw to veterans then rookies, but I don't think it's going to be as much of an issue as some people are led to believe.  Jordy Nelson was the 3rd most targeted WR in 2008 (54) behind Greg Jennings (140) and Donald Driver (116).  Randall Cobb was 7th in terms of targets in 2011, but that was part of a stacked receiving corps.  Davante Adams was 3rd in 2014 (66) behind Jordy Nelson (151) and Randall Cobb (127).  MVS was 3rd leading targets (73) in 2018 behind Davante Adams (169) and Jimmy Graham (89).  Excluding Randall Cobb, the average rookie targets is 64 which seems like a reasonable targets.  But this is also the weakest WR room we've had with Rodgers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.

Maybe Rodgers is good with some rookies + Lazard + Cobb + Amari Rodgers 

Put a chip on his shoulder about not having an elite WR.  

Maybe Gutekunst is pushing a few buttons to motivate Rodgers

I'd suspect that Gute, LaFleur, and Rodgers have discussed it quite a bit.  I'd imagine there's a concrete plan of what the Packers are going to try and do with the position.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

......the average rookie targets is 64 which seems like a reasonable targets.  But this is also the weakest WR room we've had with Rodgers.

You get 64 targets (and 59 receptions) to a rookie WR with some serious juice.......you've got something :)

1 minute ago, Leader said:

You get 64 targets (and 59 receptions) to a rookie WR with some serious juice.......you've got something :)

I think you're probably looking at ~80 targets as a rookie.  Figure a 65% catch rate and 11 yards/reception, and you're walking away with 52 receptions and 572 receiving yards.  I wouldn't be surprised if Lazard's production doubled, but even 1.5x what it was puts an additional 20 receptions and 256 yards on the table.  That's an additional 72 receptions and 828 yards between Lazard and the rookie.  Not saying we're going to get 51 receptions and 725 receiving yards out of a veteran WR, but the production isn't that bad.

I think you're probably looking at ~80 targets as a rookie.  Figure a 65% catch rate and 11 yards/reception, and you're walking away with 52 receptions and 572 receiving yards.  I wouldn't be surprised if Lazard's production doubled, but even 1.5x what it was puts an additional 20 receptions and 256 yards on the table.  That's an additional 72 receptions and 828 yards between Lazard and the rookie.  Not saying we're going to get 51 receptions and 725 receiving yards out of a veteran WR, but the production isn't that bad.

Understood. I'd expect Lazard's numbers to improve but the "No Davante" factor could have him facing the tougher CB's - unless - we get their attention with some other bodies. Players. Guys to worry about.

I'm hopeful. Thats about the best I can say. I'm hopeful we get some serious talent out of this draft. Nothing that even has a whiff of "developmental" till the later rounds - making them practice squad acceptable.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood. I'd expect Lazard's numbers to improve but the "No Davante" factor could have him facing the tougher CB's - unless - we get their attention with some other bodies. Players. Guys to worry about.

I'm hopeful. Thats about the best I can say. I'm hopeful we get some serious talent out of this draft. Nothing that even has a whiff of "developmental" till the later rounds - making them practice squad acceptable.

I really believe Rodgers not looking for just one guy will make this team better if the wr talent is reasonable.  It will be tougher on the defense that way too.