Raiders re-sign T Brandon Parker

RaidersAreOne

17 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I hope signed him to be LT2, he has been solid as a LT in the past. He sucked last year at RT, so I would hate if they view him as a RT starter. I think it's the former, still need a RT 

Agree, I think he'd be a decent LT backup, has done pretty well relatively when he's gone there but just looks list at RT overthinking the mirror motions. I'm OK with this signing but not as a starting RT at all.......I hope that's not the plan. Cable gas gone now so hopefully we have a more realistic coach on board now. Pats always seem to have a good to very good OL so I have done belief.

6 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Yeah who cares we need a RT Parker is a backup LT with Miller as our Starter.

He is a good resign and backup LT was a position of need.  I am just hoping they are not thinking about him being the starter on the right.

15 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Honestly I wouldn’t mind elumenor at RT(as crazy as that sounds)

Didn't he play sparingly for the Pats at RT at a decent level?

We do have some of that coaching staff looking at him now so maybe that's their thought process. We may see a few guys move around to more comfortable positions such as Parker and Leatherwood to the left side maybe......very interested to see how they view these guys compared to the last coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Agree, I think he'd be a decent LT backup, has done pretty well relatively when he's gone there but just looks list at RT overthinking the mirror motions. I'm OK with this signing but not as a starting RT at all.......I hope that's not the plan. Cable gas gone now so hopefully we have a more realistic coach on board now. Pats always seem to have a good to very good OL so I have done belief.

The saddest part is since his name was called on day 2 of the draft in 2018 I said the only way this works is if Parker is on the left and Miller on the right.  For 4 years I have been saying Parker should not be on the right side and I suck at any type of player evaluation.  Our professional coaches in year 4 were still trying to play him on the right even when it was clear he is not good on the right side.  One more reason to hate Gruden and Cable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Didn't he play sparingly for the Pats at RT at a decent level?

We do have some of that coaching staff looking at him now so maybe that's their thought process. We may see a few guys move around to more comfortable positions such as Parker and Leatherwood to the left side maybe......very interested to see how they view these guys compared to the last coaching staff.

I would love to see Parker and Leatherwood battle it out at LG.  Parker could struggle because it would be an unfamiliar spot but I think he has a shot.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I would love to see Parker and Leatherwood battle it out at LG.  Parker could struggle because it would be an unfamiliar spot but I think he has a shot.

That's an interesting take, do you think Parker has the low centre of gravity to play inside at guard? He looks more of a finesse player to me which kind of suits tackle but maybe he would lack the aggressiveness and power inside, I don't know really.

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

That's an interesting take, do you think Parker has the low centre of gravity to play inside at guard? He looks more of a finesse player to me which kind of suits tackle but maybe he would lack the aggressiveness and power inside, I don't know really.

I think he has a higher center of gravity and he would need to add some power to his lower half.  He has plenty of aggression in the run game and you can see he loves getting to the second level.  So there are reasons why I think he can and why I think he will struggle.  In the games where he played LT he got good movement in short yardage.  Repeatedly pushes his guy 2-3 yards back.  Doing it against DTs may be a different story.  It may just come down to scheme.  One thing I know for sure is I never want to see him try to cut block or lunge at a defender ever again.  One of the games I watched he try to cut block a DE and got stiff armed mid air.  He just looked like a little kid running into a brick wall.  Fell straight down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe @NCOUGHMAN should watch the LAC and DEN games from 2020 weeks 9 and 10 and tell us what he thinks about Parker on the left.  He is a much better evaluator than I when it comes to the o-line.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I wonder if the goal is just to get a bunch of versatile cheap guys that can play a bunch of spots at a decent level and see who's best at what

59 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I wonder if the goal is just to get a bunch of versatile cheap guys that can play a bunch of spots at a decent level and see who's best at what

I think it’s this, combined with what @agarcia34 said - that the FO know there are a few vets that can be picked up later and/or are confident there will be some cut after the draft.

It seems that they are spending the big money on known commodities - both in and outhouse and are then being cheap on depth, not wanting to spend mid level money on mid level players.

I like it. We’ve spent years spending too much money on bad or mediocre players. Maybe they don’t like any of the olineman enough to spend more that minimum amounts on them?

31 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I think it’s this, combined with what @agarcia34 said - that the FO know there are a few vets that can be picked up later and/or are confident there will be some cut after the draft.

It seems that they are spending the big money on known commodities - both in and outhouse and are then being cheap on depth, not wanting to spend mid level money on mid level players.

I like it. We’ve spent years spending too much money on bad or mediocre players. Maybe they don’t like any of the olineman enough to spend more that minimum amounts on them?

Other than Crosby my thinking was to just wait on spending big money on FAs until all the prices started coming down.  Fill holes and extend our own players.  Have competent players across the board and trade back in the draft for more day 2 picks.  Really establish a strong foundation.  Then in year two swing for the fences in FA and draft.  With a strong foundation the risk of a bust in FA or draft will have less of an impact.  We would also know who can play well in the new systems.  The only places they have been patient with, the o-line and up the middle of the D, are the places I would have been fine with being a little more aggressive because we had such huge holes.  Just a different philosophy than mine.  I would prefer an inside out approach.  If we can not run the ball or Carr feels rushed in the pocket the impact of Adam's is not going to be worth a 1st, 2nd, and $20+ million.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Maybe @NCOUGHMAN should watch the LAC and DEN games from 2020 weeks 9 and 10 and tell us what he thinks about Parker on the left.  He is a much better evaluator than I when it comes to the o-line.

I’ll try to find some clips but one thing people forget is the oline has to operate as a unit. Imo guards are extremely important to the success of a tackle. Imo iirc kolt was at his best with a good lg. Gotta trust the guy next to you or it will never work. Almost impossible to have 4 new guys playing next to each other like last year. You could tell the trust and communication wasn’t there. Not to mention a brand new center which IMO is the most important guy on the line. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’ll try to find some clips but one thing people forget is the oline has to operate as a unit. Imo guards are extremely important to the success of a tackle. Imo iirc kolt was at his best with a good lg. Gotta trust the guy next to you or it will never work. Almost impossible to have 4 new guys playing next to each other like last year. You could tell the trust and communication wasn’t there. Not to mention a brand new center which IMO is the most important guy on the line. 

He did not look very good in the first quarter but starts to put it together.  Gets beat to the inside far to often but can be expected after 2.5 years of playing the right side.

This game you can tell he made some adjustments and is much more aware of where his LG is.  The jump leads me to believe you would see a much improved player if he was left on that side for even 4-5 games.  The angle of his hip and shoulders combined with footwork makes him look so much better.  Not saying he would be as good as Miller but he would be better than a handful of starting LTs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Yeah like I like what they did with the rotational pass rusher only paying him 1 million as opposed to 8 million for Leica Carl Nassib