Justice League

Acgott

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Using Steppenwolf was a mistake from the very beginning.

No, actually I think it was the correct choice. Steppenwolf was a throwaway villain. Granted I had my reservations about it. But this movie was not so much about the villain as it was about creating the Justice League as a whole. And to top that off, giving Superman a worthy fanfare to come back on. Having an overwhelming villain to just dispatch in one movie might have overshadowed Superman and the rest of them, or just ruin everything altogether (Doomsday). They could have done alot of things better with this movie, first and foremost making it longer then just 2 hours. But overall I think it was the right idea making the Superheroes and their struggle coming together a better focus then what they were fighting against. 

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Im not saying Gyllenhaal is the best choice, but Clooney?    Even as a kid I thought Clooney was a laughably bad choice.    JG isnt a great choice either, but no where near as bad as the Clooney casting was.

I keep seeing lists pop up in various places talking about "The 10-15 actors who could replace Ben Affleck as Batman", and I have to wonder how some of these idiots have jobs.   There is clearly no thought that goes into their lists and they just basically throw in actors as they come to mind.    Some guy had James Franco and Keanu Reeves, among other idiotic choices.  There are several other lists too.

Id rather them cast a relative unknown, although they will lean for star power for Batman, even if its not a good choice.      

Maybe I was too harsh with the Clooney comparison but ya never know. 

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

They are making a terrible mistake if they don't work it out and stay with Affleck.

I disagree.  Affleck has directing aspirations and has already expressed mixed feelings about it.  They should get somebody who is 100% committed without any hints of doubt.  And that's coming from someone who loves Affleck as Batman. 

33 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

No, actually I think it was the correct choice. Steppenwolf was a throwaway villain. Granted I had my reservations about it. But this movie was not so much about the villain as it was about creating the Justice League as a whole. And to top that off, giving Superman a worthy fanfare to come back on. Having an overwhelming villain to just dispatch in one movie might have overshadowed Superman and the rest of them, or just ruin everything altogether (Doomsday). They could have done alot of things better with this movie, first and foremost making it longer then just 2 hours. But overall I think it was the right idea making the Superheroes and their struggle coming together a better focus then what they were fighting against. 

You know it's possible to have compelling villains and heroes in the same movie, right? 

Just now, seminoles1 said:

You know it's possible to have compelling villains and heroes in the same movie, right? 

It is if you did it Marvel's way. But there was no time to build up Steppenwolf's character, and the utter lack of villains at that point left them trying to fit only as much as a they could into this movie. Like I said the best thing they could have done was make the movie longer then 2 hours. Plus, on top of having to battle against a underwhelming prequel with audiences, poor story plots up until that point. The best they could have done was just make him a stepping stone that leads to Darkseid. 

Again I agree that they could have done things better. But they did not take the same approach as Marvel did and it's costing them. Steppenwolf h/e was still a good launch considering what they were working against to introduce the Justice League. Next film that they do (if they do) can be about the Legion of Doom, and ultimately introducing Darkseid at the very end of it who wipes the floor with Superman and the rest of them heading into the last films. 

35 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I disagree.  Affleck has directing aspirations and has already expressed mixed feelings about it.  They should get somebody who is 100% committed without any hints of doubt.  And that's coming from someone who loves Affleck as Batman. 

Except the die is cast.  Affleck is Batman in 3 of the 4 DCEU movies.  Losing that continuity  in one of the franchise cornerstones is going to throw off the casual fans.  It will make what already looks like a directionless extended universe look even more dysfunctional.  They'll always have the die hards, but I don't think the casuals will jump back on board.  The domestic box office for JL shows they are already getting off.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Except the die is cast.  Affleck is Batman in 3 of the 4 DCEU movies.  Losing that continuity  in one of the franchise cornerstones is going to throw off the casual fans.  It will make what already looks like a directionless extended universe look even more dysfunctional.  They'll always have the die hards, but I don't think the casuals will jump back on board.  The domestic box office for JL shows they are already getting off.

Disagree completely.  The X-Men universe is devoid of any continuity whatsoever and its fans haven't been thrown off.  You're underrating the intelligence of the movie going public.  They're smart enough to pick up on a new Batman.  If the movie is good, they'll go to it.  Look no further than Batman Begins.

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Disagree completely.  The X-Men universe is devoid of any continuity whatsoever and its fans haven't been thrown off.  You're underrating the intelligence of the movie going public.  They're smart enough to pick up on a new Batman.  If the movie is good, they'll go to it.  Look no further than Batman Begins.

Most of xmens continuity errors are things hardcore fans would know and not Casal fans.

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

Most of xmens continuity errors are things hardcore fans would know and not Casal fans.

But that's why it doesn't matter.  Casual fans don't care.  Casual fans are like, "Hey, there's a new Batman movie out.  Want to go?"  They don't care who plays Batman.  My sister just went to Thor 3 because of the director and she hasn't seen a fourth of the Marvel movies.  People don't care.  If it looks good/funny/interesting, they'll go. 

Most people probably don't even know that Justice League takes place after BvS.  They're like, "Hey there's a superhero movie." 

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

It is if you did it Marvel's way. But there was no time to build up Steppenwolf's character, and the utter lack of villains at that point left them trying to fit only as much as a they could into this movie. Like I said the best thing they could have done was make the movie longer then 2 hours. Plus, on top of having to battle against a underwhelming prequel with audiences, poor story plots up until that point. The best they could have done was just make him a stepping stone that leads to Darkseid. 

Again I agree that they could have done things better. But they did not take the same approach as Marvel did and it's costing them. Steppenwolf h/e was still a good launch considering what they were working against to introduce the Justice League. Next film that they do (if they do) can be about the Legion of Doom, and ultimately introducing Darkseid at the very end of it who wipes the floor with Superman and the rest of them heading into the last films. 

Everyone knew from the very beginning that Steppenwolf isn't even the biggest and baddest villain from his own family.  That already creates a huge issue with the villain.  It was a mistake.

7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I'm not as hardcore as you guys but I was completely fine with Steppenwolf.  Plus with the three boxes that was an easy way to unite everyone. No Aquaman if Step doesn't attack.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Everyone knew from the very beginning that Steppenwolf isn't even the biggest and baddest villain from his own family.  That already creates a huge issue with the villain.  It was a mistake.

I read comics for about 3 years growing up, and I had no idea who Steppenwolf was.  Assuming most of their audience does is a mistake.

Archived