Justice League

Acgott

On 11/17/2017 at 11:42 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Prove that I bashed BvS before I saw it.  In fact, it was only after a second viewing that I started bashing it at all because I loved it the first time I saw it.  I bashed Suicide Squad based on the look of The Joker only.  How is that not relevant?  I SAW how the Joker looked, I BASHED AFTER I SAW WHAT I WAS BASHING. 

I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for The Batman movie (while hoping Affleck bows out to further incite a reboot).  I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for the Aquaman movie.  I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for The Flash.  I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for Wonder Woman.  I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for Wonder Woman 2.  I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for The Green Lantern Corps.  I have expressed NOTHING but optimism for the next Superman movie. 

Literally the only things I'm negative about are Cyborg, Aquaman's dialogue (which I've said I believe will be fixed to an extent for his movie).  The only things I'm negative about in the entire DCEU is the dialogue, The Joker, Lex Luther and some of the pacing/plotting.

ALL OF WHICH I've expressed optimism that they will be resolved. 

The only reason I want these movies to fail is so that I don't have to consider them canon and so that I can get a fresh start with the continuity.  But, according to you, I'm a hater.  It's not true, and you need to quit because it's obnoxious and childish and, most importantly, dead wrong. 

The comics are canon. I don't get why it matters anyways. People who care about canon almost never end up being happy with these things. 

Just now, thrILL! said:

They've rebooted their universe multiple times the last decade.  Who knows what's canon anymore?

It doesn't matter. Which stories do you like? Good those are the ones that are canon. Oh two can't fit together because of some obscure fact? Oh well!

I've never seen a comic fan talk about canon without getting upset about it. It's frivolous.

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

It doesn't matter. Which stories do you like? Good those are the ones that are canon. Oh two can't fit together because of some obscure fact? Oh well!

I've never seen a comic fan talk about canon without getting upset about it. It's frivolous.

When it comes to comic book movies, the comics themselves arent really canon outside of the origins of the titular characters  (Superman from destroyed planet Krypton, Batman's parents were murdered and he is raised by Alfred,  Tony Stark hit by shrapnel and kidnapped by terrorists, etc....).    Various stories used in the movies are either wholly original or draws various inspiration from comic story arcs.

I agree though....its annoying talking to hardcore comic fans about comic movies because they always have something to complain about because they cant grasp that the movies arent trying to follow the comics religiously....and even if they do grasp it, they dont accept it.    

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

You just did.  ??‍♂️

And the films are good places to take certain liberties esp when it's something that they won't have the stones to do in comics.  Sometimes it works and others it backfires terribly.  

I saw it and it was very enjoyable. Certainly not deserving of the 38% on RT. Should have been somewhere around the 60%. I’m really starting to think critics hold DC to a higher standard than Marvel. A lot of the criticisms on JL can apply to a LOT of Marvels and all of them are over 60% on RT. Very fun movie and awesome end credit scenes. I wish they didn’t mandate it be 2 hrs because it definitely felt rushed though. 

7 hours ago, thrILL! said:

You just did.  ??‍♂️

And the films are good places to take certain liberties esp when it's something that they won't have the stones to do in comics.  Sometimes it works and others it backfires terribly.  

When has a comic film ever had the balls to do something the comics didn't? 

Saw it yesterday, some story elements felt rushed.  2 hr time limit hurt the movie imo but it was a lot of fun and got some extremely important beats right.

Finally, somebody in the dceu gets who superman is as a character.  This was the first time he represented hope and light and it was clear Whedon understands the direction the character needs to go.  

Love how they show wonder woman to be near superman's equal.  That scene is so well shot and is one of the best of the movie.  All the heroes were well done and miller does steal a lot of scenes. Gadot is still the best thing the dceu has going for it.

I wanted more and obviously thats a great thing.  Im excited for a vaughan superman, a wan aquaman, ww2 and even a reeves batman even if thats the graceful exit of affleck.  The now 40% on rt is an absolute joke.  

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The now 40% on rt is an absolute joke. 

The Justice League movie (along with films like the new Ghostbusters) show how broken the industry of film criticism is right now. I’m not talking about Rotten Tomatoes itself, although there are some reports (from the reviewers themselves) that C/C+ or 3+ out of 5 rankings are being given rotten scores and it seems to be basing it upon the amount of negative vs positive verbiage being used in their review. Still unconfirmed, but those reports have been out there since opening night. 

But back to my point. There is no reason why the Critics should be scoring this a 40% or less while the viewing public has overwhelmingly enjoyed it at an 86% clip from nearly 100k reviews. Just for a reference, Ragnarok has an 89% from 75k reviews. So the viewing public (same type of viewer who would take the time to score a film) feel pretty much just as satisfied with the two films, both with an average of 4.3/5, now don’t take this wrong, I’m not saying JL is as good as Ragnarok. Just that the same amount in people view the films positively. 

Unfortunately it continues to feel like critics just don’t want to be on the wrong side of history, and are letting studio and on set drama taint what they are writing about these films, instead of just scoring movies each on their own merits. 

51 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The Justice League movie (along with films like the new Ghostbusters) show how broken the industry of film criticism is right now. I’m not talking about Rotten Tomatoes itself, although there are some reports (from the reviewers themselves) that C/C+ or 3+ out of 5 rankings are being given rotten scores and it seems to be basing it upon the amount of negative vs positive verbiage being used in their review. Still unconfirmed, but those reports have been out there since opening night. 

But back to my point. There is no reason why the Critics should be scoring this a 40% or less while the viewing public has overwhelmingly enjoyed it at an 86% clip from nearly 100k reviews. Just for a reference, Ragnarok has an 89% from 75k reviews. So the viewing public (same type of viewer who would take the time to score a film) feel pretty much just as satisfied with the two films, both with an average of 4.3/5, now don’t take this wrong, I’m not saying JL is as good as Ragnarok. Just that the same amount in people view the films positively. 

Unfortunately it continues to feel like critics just don’t want to be on the wrong side of history, and are letting studio and on set drama taint what they are writing about these films, instead of just scoring movies each on their own merits. 

Well put, and exactly why I find reviewers I know who are objective....and even then I still judge a movie based on my own feelings of it.

Everyone I trust enjoyed the movie and the biggest criticism was that it felt rushed.    WB was idiotic for putting the 2 hour time limit out there for this.   I think they foolishly believed that BvS failed because it was too long....and maybe it was....but it was because it was too long FOR THE WRONG REASONS.   Meaning, they shouldnt have crammed Doomsday and other Justice League cameos into it.   If BvS was just as long but had a more focused story, people wouldve accepted it at its length.     So for JL, they had to rush things because it had too much to do.   Alot of people saying if it had 30 more minutes used the right way, it couldve been so much better.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Saw it yesterday, some story elements felt rushed.  2 hr time limit hurt the movie imo but it was a lot of fun and got some extremely important beats right.

Finally, somebody in the dceu gets who superman is as a character.  This was the first time he represented hope and light and it was clear Whedon understands the direction the character needs to go.  

Love how they show wonder woman to be near superman's equal.  That scene is so well shot and is one of the best of the movie.  All the heroes were well done and miller does steal a lot of scenes. Gadot is still the best thing the dceu has going for it.

I wanted more and obviously thats a great thing.  Im excited for a vaughan superman, a wan aquaman, ww2 and even a reeves batman even if thats the graceful exit of affleck.  The now 40% on rt is an absolute joke.  

I was wondering this at first. I am not entirely sure she is. She might have been in the same ballpark of power, but the power difference was obvious when he actually wanted to overpower her. That scene with all of them trying to restrain him, and as soon as he saw what Flash was doing (still makes me chuckle) he just threw them all off like it was nothing. Now none of them were aiming to kill, Superman as well obviously. But like Aquaman said they got their a$$es handed to them. We don't have any clear indication either way, like I said before I was hoping for a longer fight. Though im we'll see more when more movies come out.

4 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I really think that people try to hold The DCU to a higher standard. This movie was fun and kept me entertained. I feel like the critics think it’s the “cool” thing to hate on these movies.

Most "professional" critics from what i've seen tend to judge a movie based on the message it sends and whether or not how heavily left or right it leans. I wouldn't say fan critics are that much better because they already have an idea of what they wanted the movie to be before they even seen it. 

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would never trust professional critics when going for entertainment. As for the fan rankings, anything with lots of action, humor, and cgi will tend to get higher ratings. 

Personally I thought Justice League was better then Ragnarok. 

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I was wondering this at first. I am not entirely sure she is. She might have been in the same ballpark of power, but the power difference was obvious when he actually wanted to overpower her. That scene with all of them trying to restrain him, and as soon as he saw what Flash was doing (still makes me chuckle) he just threw them all off like it was nothing. Now none of them were aiming to kill, Superman as well obviously. But like Aquaman said they got their a$$es handed to them. We don't have any clear indication either way, like I said before I was hoping for a longer fight. Though im we'll see more when more movies come out.

She's not his equal bc no one is, thats why i said near his equal.  Shes part god, so she's the closest of the the league, but superman has no equal on earth on land.  And just the awesome display of him at full strength not caring about what happens.  Then to show that he just mops the floor with steppenwolf at the end.  I cant stop smiling whenever i think about this version of superman. 

Archived