Broncos sign OL Billy Turner

RaidersAreOne

Knows the system and really came into his own the past 2 years.  Fits exactly with we needed on OL - RT who can also kick inside in a pinch.    The film AND metrics don’t lie.   Incredible value too - and now we have 3 guys who can play T we can feel ok about.   Very underrated signing by Paton. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Packers released him with a failed medical. Was really hoping he'd be back later this off-season. Couldn't figure this one out. Makes no sense that I can see unless there's a medical red flag. 

Like the dude a lot, gonna miss him. Felt for sure he'd be on our squad this year. Bummer :(

Decent starter at RT. Can play LT, LG, and RG also. He was average at OG and below average at LT (but wasn't a turnstile) for the Packers. Unfortunately, he started at LT in the playoffs the last two years because of Bahk's ACL injury.

I didn't really understand releasing him, but the Packers must not have liked his medicals. People were stunned when Gutey signed him, but he earned his salary with the Packers. Then, people were surprised when the Packers cut him.

Edited by TheEagle

Turner was released with failed physical/injury designation because he was out for last game of the season and the NFL has injury protections as part of CBA
When Billy was "failed" it made him eligible for several special salary and insurance protections - so its in Turners best interest to do that in case he doesn't recover and can't play in 2022. The other part of this is that it frees the Packers from any cap holds on Billy's salary. IF they had been forced to come to an injury settlement, GB is dinged for that cap space. Its some arcane CBA stuff

End of the day, Turner was protected and GB got max cap relief.
As far as Turner choosing Den, its a tell that GB is moving Jenkins to RT when he returns. Turner is a very good RT and HC knows how to use him

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

can also kick inside in a pinch.  

It would have to be a serious pinch...
I don't know why - but he really struggled at OG in pass pro. Too many whiffs. But at RT, he truly found his home
Sorry to lose him. He's got an HC who knows how to use him and he'll be a fine addition in Den

25 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It would have to be a serious pinch...
I don't know why - but he really struggled at OG in pass pro. Too many whiffs. But at RT, he truly found his home
Sorry to lose him. He's got an HC who knows how to use him and he'll be a fine addition in Den

I think it's because he doesn't have enough strength to play inside consistently, but as a T, he has the requisite strength (and his footwork, which has really improved since his time with us, puts him in better spots, whereas inside, the footwork only helps overcome the power issues so much).

It wouldn't be plan A, him at RT and other guys inside is the blueprint.  But say a starting G goes down, he is smart and versatile enough to fill in during that game, if our next best guy is a T (which might very well be the case with Compton & Calvin Anderson as our other T's, whereas our G's go 3-deep with Glasgow, Risner & small-school darling Meinerz year 2, ppl banking that a ZBS will return Risner to his year 1 promise, but who is very much a Q mark on whether we keep beyond his rookie contract).

Edited by Broncofan

19 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Decent starter at RT. Can play LT, LG, and RG also. He was average at OG and below average at LT (but wasn't a turnstile) for the Packers. Unfortunately, he started at LT in the playoffs the last two years because of Bahk's ACL injury.

I didn't really understand releasing him, but the Packers must not have liked his medicals. People were stunned when Gutey signed him, but he earned his salary with the Packers. Then, people were surprised when the Packers cut him.

Billy is a fine RT, just don't put him at left.