2022 Mock Draft Thread

GW21

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Agreed as usual media pundits don't understand team needs. Safety is a need and at 61 is a real option but I don't expect the 49ers to draft a corner that early and I will be surprised if they went WR before the 4th round. 

I'd take McCollum at 93 or 105 every time if I could. I'm just betting on some freakish physical traits and it's nice that he's a ballhawk which we haven't had since Walt Harris it feels like.  There's also a reasonable chance that he could play a safety centerfielder role. He's also a beast as a gunner in college, which would continue our desire to improve the special teams units right away and does give him some immediate impact.   While it would be nice to come in and start right away,  I don't think that this team is overly concerned if they start Ward & Moore (who has always been somewhat adequate when given a shot) and they can always attempt to re-sign Tartt, who continues to have no market. 

Between 61 / 93 / 105, I'm happy to take one offensive lineman, one safety, and one whatever. Lots of edge possibilities in terms of just good value, but in a bad draft without high picks, I will throw quite a bit of weight behind the mystery box types like Woolen and McCollum 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Agreed as usual media pundits don't understand team needs. Safety is a need and at 61 is a real option but I don't expect the 49ers to draft a corner that early and I will be surprised if they went WR before the 4th round. 

I have a hard time with no OL or DL taken in those 3 picks. I guess we will go S somewhere in there, but I see OL and edge as more necessary... I guess I just expect Tartt to come back at some point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I have a hard time with no OL or DL taken in those 3 picks. I guess we will go S somewhere in there, but I see OL and edge as more necessary... I guess I just expect Tartt to come back at some point. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the team went all-in on offense in the first 3-to 4 picks. Center, tackle, could the team target a speedster WR early? TE? I'd love an edge early as this team is built on depth at Dline. But also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't draft one until late. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I wouldn't be shocked if the team went all-in on offense in the first 3-to 4 picks. Center, tackle, could the team target a speedster WR early? TE? I'd love an edge early as this team is built on depth at Dline. But also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't draft one until late. 

I think it’s going to look like 

S

IOL - Center preferably

Rb or wr - thinking Cook or Robinson

And then it could be a mixture, nickel, DT/de, more oline depth. This draft doesn’t really have a lot of great TE depth (or maybe I’m wrong). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I think it’s going to look like 

S

IOL - Center preferably

Rb or wr - thinking Cook or Robinson

And then it could be a mixture, nickel, DT/de, more oline depth. This draft doesn’t really have a lot of great TE depth (or maybe I’m wrong). 

I really hope they don't draft a RB prior to the 5th round. Also if it does happen wouldn't surprise me if they traded Sermon for a late round pick. 

20 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I really hope they don't draft a RB prior to the 5th round. Also if it does happen wouldn't surprise me if they traded Sermon for a late round pick. 

I think they will give Sermon a chance, but I think they want a bell-cow or maybe a Mostert replacement. I heard Pierre Strong is fairly quick and wouldn’t mind him in the later rounds. I think they are nervous that Mitchell is going to be continuously banged up like he was last year and they don’t want to put Deebo back there. Just my thought on the situation, hence the Cook/Robinson pick up

We have wrapped up the draft version of TCMD in the gm mock draft forum. I had the niners. 

I didn't make any trades in this one, just played it straight. 

#61 - Sam Williams, Ole Miss - EDGE

• 61 is really a weird spot because the board can break out where you're just not in love with anyone. IMO, there were three viable options at this spot - Williams, Paschal (went pick 62) and Tariq Woolen (who went pick 63 lol). I've taken Paschal in several mocks, so I wnated to try something different. In truth, I think Williams goes much later in the draft, but I'd be okay with taking him here if the off field stuff checks out. I think he actually can come in and start to make a contribution right away as a situational pass rusher. Point him in the direction of a QB and just tell him to go get it. I avoided taking interior line here because I thought I could get someone at 93 in that capacity. 

#93 - Cam Jurgens, Nebraska - C

• I always had this pick pegged as my interior OL pick. Strange went pick 83, Parham 86, so Jurgens was the last out of that group that I have in the 2/3 range. I could have gone a completely different direction (safety, for example) and hoped he fell to 105 and taken either Fortner or Tom if he didn't (they went 125 and 132), but I do believe that if you get Jurgens right, he could be one of the better centers in the NFL. His game needs refinement more than anything. I want to see better explosion into his pass sets as I feel like he often gives up an immediate step when meeting a rush head on (nice recovery typically, though) but his lateral movement is really, really nice )seriously, some of his pulls are insane). 

#105 - Zyon McCollum, Sam Houston St - CB / S 

• This was my #1 pick for this spot since the early third round. Nick Cross 95, Cook (who I'm not even a fan of really) went 94. So safety was leaaaaaaaaaan. I could have went JT Woods, but honestly, I didn't expect him to go this early (he eneded up going 2 picks later, which caught me off guard). I put him as both a cornerback and a safety because I think he could do either. His range as a safety would be obscene. But he's the perfect type to target in this spot. Don't expect him to play right away, but should get some snaps throughout the season, and he's just a complete physical freak. The upside is huge. Nobody went in the next 10 picks or so that I was remotely interested in. 

#134 - Dare Rosenthal, UK - OT

• This was probably the roughest pick as I didn't really know what to do here. Even tried to trade down. I had a couple of safeties in my back pocket - Markquese Bell and Verone Mckinley. I thought one (Bell specifically) would be there at my next pick, so I decided to take a shot and pass them up. Spoiler alert...they didn't make it to the next pick lol. Mckinley went just 3 picks after this one at 137, and the Jets took Bell at 146. Not going to lie...I was peeved when that happens. I 100% would have taken Tom had he slipped to here, just for the versatility alone, but he went 132. Put me in a real awkward spot. The best TE was Ferguson. Meh. I thought long about Castro-Fields, but that seemed overly redundant after just taking McCollum? Really not a fun spot. Ultimately, I landed on Rosenthal who is my favorite mid round OT project. Needs a lot of refinement, but he's dropped some weight and has some good athleticism and length. Needs a lot of technique and footwork help. 

#172 - Tycen Anderson, Toledo - S

• Another spot where I didn't really love anyone. I don't know why I was determined to go safety here. I had pretty much locked up Percy Butler in my mind here after the other two went off the board...and then Butler went the pick before immediately before mine lol. WTF lol. Felt too early for a running back, Flott had gone at 169 as well. I do like Anderson's raw talent and athleticism, so I don't hate the pick even though I am making it seem like I was saddled with him. He's a little more filled out physically than someone like Flott and I think he could be really interesting stepping down as a big nickel to cover big slots like Kupp. 

#187 - Bo Melton, Rutgers - WR

• I think I would have gone Pierre Strong here as this was when I started looking at running back...but he went 186 LOL. Two picks in a row that happened to me. I wanted to add to the WR room (wasn't as pressed about the TE room after we-resigned Dwelley) and Melton is the type of guy that we have been looking at, though he's probably a slot guy with some verticals. Up and down college career if we are being honest and was kind of underwhelming. I've mentioned before, but this late in the draft, I dislike the receivers for the most part, but I just wanted to grab one. I gave serious, serious thought to Kyren Williams who was still on the board and could give us a desperately needed third down back. But at the time, there were other running backs I was happy to take later if Williams got plucked. Willams may have been the better pick here and ultimately he went at 204 (before the next pick), Badie went at 194. I considered James Mitchell, but he was much further down the list. I think a strong case can be made that the pick shoudl have been Williams here. 

#220 - Jack Cochrane, South Dakota - ILB

• By this point, there was one running back on the board that I had any interest in; Ty Chandler. Had his name written in and everything....and then just passed LOL. No idea why. Just decided that if we wanted a running back we could try and pick up some small school UDFAs Breida style like Tyreik Mcallister or just sign a guy for the vet min or something. I mean, Justin Jackson is just chilling out there and I'd add him. Anyway, I ultimately added Cochrane. I'm going to be honest, the little bit I have seen of him is somewhat uninspiring, but also I watched some of his earlier stuff. There's not a lot of Jack Cochrane stuff out there, you'd be surprised to know lol. He's not really fluid, but he's a good athlete and he's not uber impressive in coverage as he's not great at trackign the ball downfield (not a back breaker given you typically don't want your linebackers doing that), but I think he moves really well and is quick to the football and I think he'd do well in zones.  He's probably going to have trouble shedding blocks though. 

#221 - Jason Poe, Mercer - G

• I was going to save him for Mr Irrelevant, but given the team had done some diligence on him in real life, I figured I'd just pluck him now instead of a team taking him between now and then as he is a fun guy. I'll reiterate again that right now, there's no way that I believe he's functionally strong enough heads up at the next level for the interior line. I don't know how big of a deal the height thing is...he's a little fridge, all boxy and rectangular,  and his arms are only 31". The problem with being not strong enough for the next level is that he's already 24 and physically, I think he's just maxed. He's fun as hell ot watch, and even playing at Mercer I thought he did a quality job against Alabama all things considered, but ultimately I don't think he's an NFL player most likely, even though he does have absolutely insane speed and movement skills for an offensive lineman. There's clay there to work with, but he needs a lot of work, especially given the inexperience. 

#262 - Dareke Young,  Lenoir Rhyne - WR 

• This guy needs to get drafted and I hope it's by us. If you haven't heard of him, just trust me...you want to take a shot on him. He's technically a WR, but early in his college career he was based out of a wing T offense, which means two things....He ran the ball a lot, and the dude will throw a block lol (humorously, the head coach at Lenoir Rhyne during this time was Drew Cronic, who left to become the head coach at Mercer where Poe played his one year at guard this year...before going to Mercer, Poe was also at Lenoir Rhyne). His career has been limited. First couple of years in a run based wing T offense; 2020 cancelled, 2021 suffered a knee injury. His routes are super lazy and rounded and that will definitely be something that needs to be worked on, but he's not as awkward catching the ball as you would think. He does let some passes into his chest still, but he's also not completely a chest catcher. Like, he really is an awesome fit for a guy like Shanny. And oh yeah, did I mention that he's 6'2, 220 over 10 inch hands that runs a 4.4 with an 11 inch broad jump? I really hope we take a shot on him. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

We have wrapped up the draft version of TCMD in the gm mock draft forum. I had the niners. 

I didn't make any trades in this one, just played it straight. 

#61 - Sam Williams, Ole Miss - EDGE

• 61 is really a weird spot because the board can break out where you're just not in love with anyone. IMO, there were three viable options at this spot - Williams, Paschal (went pick 62) and Tariq Woolen (who went pick 63 lol). I've taken Paschal in several mocks, so I wnated to try something different. In truth, I think Williams goes much later in the draft, but I'd be okay with taking him here if the off field stuff checks out. I think he actually can come in and start to make a contribution right away as a situational pass rusher. Point him in the direction of a QB and just tell him to go get it. I avoided taking interior line here because I thought I could get someone at 93 in that capacity. 

#93 - Cam Jurgens, Nebraska - C

• I always had this pick pegged as my interior OL pick. Strange went pick 83, Parham 86, so Jurgens was the last out of that group that I have in the 2/3 range. I could have gone a completely different direction (safety, for example) and hoped he fell to 105 and taken either Fortner or Tom if he didn't (they went 125 and 132), but I do believe that if you get Jurgens right, he could be one of the better centers in the NFL. His game needs refinement more than anything. I want to see better explosion into his pass sets as I feel like he often gives up an immediate step when meeting a rush head on (nice recovery typically, though) but his lateral movement is really, really nice )seriously, some of his pulls are insane). 

#105 - Zyon McCollum, Sam Houston St - CB / S 

• This was my #1 pick for this spot since the early third round. Nick Cross 95, Cook (who I'm not even a fan of really) went 94. So safety was leaaaaaaaaaan. I could have went JT Woods, but honestly, I didn't expect him to go this early (he eneded up going 2 picks later, which caught me off guard). I put him as both a cornerback and a safety because I think he could do either. His range as a safety would be obscene. But he's the perfect type to target in this spot. Don't expect him to play right away, but should get some snaps throughout the season, and he's just a complete physical freak. The upside is huge. Nobody went in the next 10 picks or so that I was remotely interested in. 

#134 - Dare Rosenthal, UK - OT

• This was probably the roughest pick as I didn't really know what to do here. Even tried to trade down. I had a couple of safeties in my back pocket - Markquese Bell and Verone Mckinley. I thought one (Bell specifically) would be there at my next pick, so I decided to take a shot and pass them up. Spoiler alert...they didn't make it to the next pick lol. Mckinley went just 3 picks after this one at 137, and the Jets took Bell at 146. Not going to lie...I was peeved when that happens. I 100% would have taken Tom had he slipped to here, just for the versatility alone, but he went 132. Put me in a real awkward spot. The best TE was Ferguson. Meh. I thought long about Castro-Fields, but that seemed overly redundant after just taking McCollum? Really not a fun spot. Ultimately, I landed on Rosenthal who is my favorite mid round OT project. Needs a lot of refinement, but he's dropped some weight and has some good athleticism and length. Needs a lot of technique and footwork help. 

#172 - Tycen Anderson, Toledo - S

• Another spot where I didn't really love anyone. I don't know why I was determined to go safety here. I had pretty much locked up Percy Butler in my mind here after the other two went off the board...and then Butler went the pick before immediately before mine lol. WTF lol. Felt too early for a running back, Flott had gone at 169 as well. I do like Anderson's raw talent and athleticism, so I don't hate the pick even though I am making it seem like I was saddled with him. He's a little more filled out physically than someone like Flott and I think he could be really interesting stepping down as a big nickel to cover big slots like Kupp. 

#187 - Bo Melton, Rutgers - WR

• I think I would have gone Pierre Strong here as this was when I started looking at running back...but he went 186 LOL. Two picks in a row that happened to me. I wanted to add to the WR room (wasn't as pressed about the TE room after we-resigned Dwelley) and Melton is the type of guy that we have been looking at, though he's probably a slot guy with some verticals. Up and down college career if we are being honest and was kind of underwhelming. I've mentioned before, but this late in the draft, I dislike the receivers for the most part, but I just wanted to grab one. I gave serious, serious thought to Kyren Williams who was still on the board and could give us a desperately needed third down back. But at the time, there were other running backs I was happy to take later if Williams got plucked. Willams may have been the better pick here and ultimately he went at 204 (before the next pick), Badie went at 194. I considered James Mitchell, but he was much further down the list. I think a strong case can be made that the pick shoudl have been Williams here. 

#220 - Jack Cochrane, South Dakota - ILB

• By this point, there was one running back on the board that I had any interest in; Ty Chandler. Had his name written in and everything....and then just passed LOL. No idea why. Just decided that if we wanted a running back we could try and pick up some small school UDFAs Breida style like Tyreik Mcallister or just sign a guy for the vet min or something. I mean, Justin Jackson is just chilling out there and I'd add him. Anyway, I ultimately added Cochrane. I'm going to be honest, the little bit I have seen of him is somewhat uninspiring, but also I watched some of his earlier stuff. There's not a lot of Jack Cochrane stuff out there, you'd be surprised to know lol. He's not really fluid, but he's a good athlete and he's not uber impressive in coverage as he's not great at trackign the ball downfield (not a back breaker given you typically don't want your linebackers doing that), but I think he moves really well and is quick to the football and I think he'd do well in zones.  He's probably going to have trouble shedding blocks though. 

#221 - Jason Poe, Mercer - G

• I was going to save him for Mr Irrelevant, but given the team had done some diligence on him in real life, I figured I'd just pluck him now instead of a team taking him between now and then as he is a fun guy. I'll reiterate again that right now, there's no way that I believe he's functionally strong enough heads up at the next level for the interior line. I don't know how big of a deal the height thing is...he's a little fridge, all boxy and rectangular,  and his arms are only 31". The problem with being not strong enough for the next level is that he's already 24 and physically, I think he's just maxed. He's fun as hell ot watch, and even playing at Mercer I thought he did a quality job against Alabama all things considered, but ultimately I don't think he's an NFL player most likely, even though he does have absolutely insane speed and movement skills for an offensive lineman. There's clay there to work with, but he needs a lot of work, especially given the inexperience. 

#262 - Dareke Young,  Lenoir Rhyne - WR 

• This guy needs to get drafted and I hope it's by us. If you haven't heard of him, just trust me...you want to take a shot on him. He's technically a WR, but early in his college career he was based out of a wing T offense, which means two things....He ran the ball a lot, and the dude will throw a block lol (humorously, the head coach at Lenoir Rhyne during this time was Drew Cronic, who left to become the head coach at Mercer where Poe played his one year at guard this year...before going to Mercer, Poe was also at Lenoir Rhyne). His career has been limited. First couple of years in a run based wing T offense; 2020 cancelled, 2021 suffered a knee injury. His routes are super lazy and rounded and that will definitely be something that needs to be worked on, but he's not as awkward catching the ball as you would think. He does let some passes into his chest still, but he's also not completely a chest catcher. Like, he really is an awesome fit for a guy like Shanny. And oh yeah, did I mention that he's 6'2, 220 over 10 inch hands that runs a 4.4 with an 11 inch broad jump? I really hope we take a shot on him. 

😍 Absolutely love the 1st 3 picks. Not familiar with many of the others, but some are intriguing--like 262!

• Like 1