Which would be a tougher offense to stop for the 85 Bears? Cowboys Peak 90s year, 49ers Peak 80s year?

mdonnelly21

Cowboys Peak 90s year, 49ers Peak 80s year?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Cowboys Peak 90s year, 49ers Peak 80s year?

• Cowboys Peak 90s Year (93, 95?)
    • 49ers Peak 80s Year (88? 89?)

7 hours ago, Nightime said:

The 1985 Bears held the 49ers offense to 3 points

Even in the 1984 NFCCG Montana threw for 18/34, 233 yards, but 1TD and 2INT in the 49ers 23-0 win. The 49ers were 15-1 that year

Is that the only time that they played?  I think I have to agree with @Matts4313, the Cowboys offense plays right into what the Bears liked to do.  

7 hours ago, Nightime said:

The 1985 Bears held the 49ers offense to 3 points

Even in the 1984 NFCCG Montana threw for 18/34, 233 yards, but 1TD and 2INT in the 49ers 23-0 win. The 49ers were 15-1 that year

Thats surprising to me. But Rice didnt become a starter until 86 and the OP said "peak 9ers offense"; you would have to assume that includes Jerry. 

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats surprising to me. But Rice didnt become a starter until 86 and the OP said "peak 9ers offense"; you would have to assume that includes Jerry. 

Exactly. Rice was a rookie that year. And 89 was their Peak. 

Who's defense was better Peak Cowboys 90s Defense or Peak 49ers 80 Defense? 

56 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Isn't Aikman known for his quick release to go with his accuracy?

His entire game is solid, including release time, but our system was horrifically hard on the QB. Way too many 7 step timing patterns. Its why literally no one in the NFL has run it predominately in 20+ years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For that era, I'd count the matchups between the 49ers and Bears in these games:

1983 Week 13 49ers at Bears: 49ers lost 7-3. Chicago just dominated. 

1984 NFC Championship Bears at 49ers: 49ers defense essentially shut down Chicago who couldn't muster anything. Chicago didn't have Jim McMahon, but I don't think he makes a difference and pulls off the upset. 

1985 Week 6 Bears at 49ers: The Bears smacked around the 49ers plain and simple. Clearly the best Bears team of that decade. 49ers were good in '85, but not a dominant as the previous year. 

1987 Week 14 Bears at 49ers: Both teams are 10-2, but the Bears get killed 41-0. 49ers were the best team in the regular season, and doubled down on that notion on MNF. 

1988 Week 8 49ers at Bears: 49ers are sputtering on offense, while playing musical chairs at QB this part of the year. Bears capitalize and beat the 49ers 10-9. 

1988 NFC Championship: 49ers were on fire to close out the season, and by the time they played the Bears again they were a completely different squad. This game was never close. 

1989 Week 16 Bears at 49ers: 49ers beat the Bears 26-0 while resting their starters half the game in midst of another playoff push. Bears only have 6 wins, and are closing out a disappointing year. 

Didn't include the 1981 matchup where the 49ers won, because it didn't seem like the Bears were established at that point into what they'd become that decade. The best team for the 49ers in that decade to me is the 1984, 1987, and 1989 teams. 1987 didn't win it all, but was arguably the best squad even if they choked at home against the Vikings. I guess I'm a homer, but in my mind any of those three teams could beat the Bears at the height of their powers even if it was in Chicago. That being said, so could the Bears, but it would be harder at Candlestick. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe