Aaron Hernandez' Brain Had Severe CTE

incognito_man

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/09/563194252/researcher-says-aaron-hernandez-s-brain-showed-signs-of-severe-cte

Dr. Ann McKee, a neuropathologist who directs research of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, at Boston University, said her research team found Hernandez had Stage 3 CTE and that they had never seen such severe damage in a brain younger than 46 years old.

"We can't take the pathology and explain the behavior, but we can say collectively that individuals with CTE of this severity have difficulty with impulse control, decision-making, aggression, often emotional volatility, and rage behavior," said McKee as quoted by the Boston Globe.

More damaging news for the NFL.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Since he only played in the NFL for 3 years, it is more damning for the game of football overall.  The accumulation of hits a player acquires from pee wee/pop warner, HS, college and then NFL.

true. In fact, I'd suspect the NFL would be the last level to be affected by this.

The first pins to fall are going to be academic-driven universities (think IVY league). I wonder how long it is until the first one disbands its football program citing CTE as a driving reason.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

true. In fact, I'd suspect the NFL would be the last level to be affected by this.

The first pins to fall are going to be academic-driven universities (think IVY league). I wonder how long it is until the first one disbands its football program citing CTE as a driving reason.

University level athletics have extensive medical coverage for their athletes.  Lower level leagues and institutions....High schools....that lack the extensive on field medical coverage and resources for same day/next day care might be at a bigger risk.  Funding for those athletic programs being something that might slowly go away due to potential liability issues.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

University level athletics have extensive medical coverage for their athletes.  Lower level leagues and institutions....High schools....that lack the extensive on field medical coverage and resources for same day/next day care might be at a bigger risk.  Funding for those athletic programs being something that might slowly go away due to potential liability issues.

I'm just saying I won't be surprised when a University that doesn't depend on its football team for any significant portion of revenue disbands it based strongly on principle. It would likely actually result in positive PR and would be a huge storyline for awhile. It's not about the medical resources available (in my point here).

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm just saying I won't be surprised when a University that doesn't depend on its football team for any significant portion of revenue disbands it based strongly on principle. It would likely actually result in positive PR and would be a huge storyline for awhile. It's not about the medical resources available (in my point here).

I get what you are saying.   Those Ivy league schools are some of the longest running FB programs in the country.....tradition dies a hard and slow death in these things.  

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Small sample size. Still the more that comes out, the more we have probably have to start looking at Hernandez as a guy who had some type of clinical sociopathy spawned by brain trauma than a clear cut bad person. I don't say that lightly either. 

Collectively there is not a small sample size. This case just adds to the already significant sample.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Collectively there is not a small sample size. This case just adds to the already significant sample.

The thing is Hernandez is probably one of  a handful of guys his age that they could actually check for CTE for. Most subjects are older. It's likely if you had a greater age range in sample size, the levels might not be that different from a younger and older athlete at such a degree to make it abnormal. He'd still have severe CTE. But it's possible alot of 27 year olds who play sports do. That's what I meant by that.

When this concussion business came about, I had an “old head” POV - despite being on the younger side - and thought football is football. Even recently, I’ve been in debates with people who would opt out of letting their kid play. 

But as more and more stuff comes out, I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t push my kid to play another sport at a high level. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I doubt that ever happens unless football becomes illegal. Without football athletic departments basically wouldn't be able to function. Football by itself essentially subsidizes every other sport.

1.png

Archived