2022 NFL Draft Day 2 Discussion Thread

AFF

Look, say what you want about Pickett or where we got him/could’ve got him but there’s one thing I can say with complete confidence…our QB room is SIGNIFICANTLY better this year than last year. 

Ben was bad last year, really bad. Just go back and remember how damn frustrated you were at times watching him. He had the mobility of Mason Rudolph and the arm of Kordell Stewart. I’m excited to watch two guys who can actually move out of the pocket and in the case of Pickett especially, can accurately throw the ball in the middle of the field at all 3 levels. 

Matt Canada is on the hot seat…and he’s actually the one component of our whole team that I have the least amount of confidence in. I think he’s very under-qualified as an NFL OC and we made a huge mistake not bringing in a guy like Joe Brady to replace him. He got by with the excuse of “Ben can’t/won’t let him run his offense” last year. Now, there’s no excuses. You had your pick of every QB in this draft class, albeit a weak one but still. If the Steelers didn’t have a track record of never firing coach mid-season, I would absolutely anticipate it to happen to Canada this year. Mark my words, he WILL be the bottle-neck of this team in 2022.

With all that being said, I can absolutely see us being a playoff team and winning the AFC North this year. Look how bad it seemed last season and we were what, a half game back of the Bengals who played in the Super Bowl?  I’m not calling for it to happen but at the very least we should be a more watchable team in 2022 and for that I am happy. 

Pickens will be an alpha #1 WR in the NFL, IF he can keep his head on straight. Big IF though, but guys his size simply do not have the movement skills and flexibility that he does. When I have time later I will go back and find some of the clips that broke all this down. It’s sports science type stuff the way he can bend his hips, ankle flexibility etc for a guy who is 6-4 200lbs. He is a specimen and without the off the field stuff and a healthy junior season I have no doubt he would’ve been a top 16 pick. He would’ve gone ahead of Burks and Dotson for sure and I like him better than both.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

and we made a huge mistake not bringing in a guy like Joe Brady to replace him.

I need this explained. His offense with Carolina was just god awful. He’s a good college coach. But even then it took Chase, Jefferson, CEH, and Burrow to make him look good. 

8 hours ago, 43M said:

Been saying for months and months that no QB in this draft was worth a 1st round pick, and maybe one that was worth a 2nd.

31 NFL teams agreed with me.

Of course the Steelers are the ones who didn't.

The scary part is...what would have happened had Pickett been selected before we drafted? Would we have selected one of the, now, 3rd Rd QBs, instead??  Why the push to pick a QB in the 1st?? Would it have been so terrible to see what the former 2nd overall pick could do with the offensive weapons we had, and grabbed a late round QB as our 3rd QB to the roster?

• Like 1

What I think I’m disliking most right now is this draft feels like a tread water draft. 

Pickett - Feels like someone who could stall out as the 8-12th best QB, likely 12-17 best. I feel like he’s going to have plenty of moments where you go “oh damn this kid is good”. But he’s going to have plenty of games of “damn he just doesn’t have enough.”

Pickens - He’s got the most upside of them all. But is he going to stay healthy. Maybe it comes around. Maybe it just is what it is and he just becomes a nice player. Although way to kick off a career - your OC says you have inside and outside ability, and you counter with “I’m better outside and don’t enjoy the slot.”

Leal - Feels like he’s a project. Not a natural fit. Seeing a lot of “if he can add 15 pounds and remain an athlete he might be able to play the 3/5T.” I feel like that’s exactly what was said about Ziggy Hood. 

So far grade wise I’m at a C+. Feels like one of those late 2000’s/early 2010’s draft. 

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I need this explained. His offense with Carolina was just god awful. He’s a good college coach. But even then it took Chase, Jefferson, CEH, and Burrow to make him look good. 

I don’t think Rhule gave him enough control of the offense. Brady is a progressive vertical passing game guy and Rhule is more old school run the ball philosophy. From what I’ve heard it was a constant power struggle. And I mean the guy was working with Sam Darnold at QB, a crap O Line, and CMC was out most of the year. 

Anyway, not trying to get into a Joe Brady debate. You get the point, Canada should have been upgraded this offseason. There were options out there. We’ll see how things pan out. It doesn’t help that it’s been said by former colleagues he’s a huge prick. I just don’t like the guy and thinks he’s super under-qualified, just like Fichtner.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I don’t think Rhule gave him enough control of the offense. Brady is a progressive vertical passing game guy and Rhule is more old school run the ball philosophy. From what I’ve heard it was a constant power struggle. And I mean the guy was working with Sam Darnold at QB, a crap O Line, and CMC was out most of the year. 

Anyway, not trying to get into a Joe Brady debate. You get the point, Canada should have been upgraded this offseason. There were options out there. We’ll see how things pan out. It doesn’t help that it’s been said by former colleagues he’s a huge prick. I just don’t like the guy and thinks he’s super under-qualified, just like Fichtner.

Joe Brady and Matt Canada are both sides of the same coin.

I like that pickens never dropped anything in college. I'm not sure if he'll reach his potential, but I can get behind the idea of a WR2/3 being a 6'3 receiver with reliable hands who's capable of making difficult catches down the field + be a nasty blocker

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

steeler fans can get very nasty with quarterbacks. I hope that side of our fanbase does not rear its ugly head again. Kordell and Maddox were treated horrible here when things went south. Ben did so much on the field, that he avoided harsh criticism last yr.. the current guys don't have that leeway