2022 NFL Draft Day 2 Discussion Thread

AFF

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

Based on what, exactly?

I hated Devin Bush.   I hated Artie Burns.  I hated Terrell Edmunds. Didnt like Ziggy Hood or Mendenhall, either.

The only first round picks weve had Ive been way off on since 2007 has been Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier.   I was slightly off on Timmons (thought he would be meh, was okay), Dupree (same as Timmons...eventually) and Watt (thought he'd be merely good, 8 to 10 sack guy).

Just poking fun at the down feelings after picks.  But I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be.  He may end up being an average QB, but if you surround him with enough talent early we might be able to make a SB with just timley plays.  If Goff and Ryan can get there Pickett can too.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Half a sentence on the Steelers pick. lol.

No clue who this guy is.  Feel rather blah about the first 3 rounds.

To be fair, he got screwed cause they had to run their 1st round pick story in the third ha 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This only makes sense to me if the idea is in the 4-2 front to go:

Leal - Heyward - Tuitt/Alualu - Watt

Highsmith - Jack

Yep. 4-2-5 Nickel. 

He can interior as well I think. 

Edited by Chieferific

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Yep. 4-2-5 Nickel. 

It only really makes sense because he's gonna be best at 7t.  So that means we got a situational role player in the 3rd.  I feel like there's guys that can do a bit more still around that could have been had.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

It only really makes sense because he's gonna be best at 7t.  So that means we got a situational role player in the 3rd.  I feel like there's guys that can do a bit more still around that could have been had.

He played his best in the interior. Granted that was in college but he did play at a big boy school. We play a ton of Nickel. Throw him in the middle and let him penetrate. Having some form of interior push will be welcomed. 

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just poking fun at the down feelings after picks.  But I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be.  He may end up being an average QB, but if you surround him with enough talent early we might be able to make a SB with just timley plays.  If Goff and Ryan can get there Pickett can too.

I hope Im wrong about Pickett.  I dont hate him as he was my 2nd rated QB....but clearly most other teams felt the way I did.  Pickett may have went before the 3rd round or even before our 2nd round pick...oh well.  

I was down on Najee....but mostly because I hate RB in round 1, especially on a depleted team.   Never liked Bush.  Guys like Edmunds and Bush were bad picks.   So I think most years, my negativity was justified.    I was freaking out (in a good way) the years we drafted Heyward, Pouncey, DeCastro and ...ahem...Jarvis Jones.

Again, only from the highlights, so grain of salt. It looks like A&M tried using him as a wide 9 edge rusher. He needs to be playing 5 and 3 tech. That’s where he’ll play for us, I’d imagine. He’s got way more juice than Loudermilk. I think he’ll get some snaps this year, but I could see him in a heavy rotation the year after. I feel like we’re in good hands when Cam and Alualu go. 

• Like 1

Im less upset about our draft than I am about the drafts Cincy and especially Baltimore had.

I know we dont know how this will turn out...but those 2 already superior teams got notably better, while we kinda just, dare I say "spun tires"?   And we know what Cleveland did already.

I get it.   This is pointless negativity about a class we have no idea about yet in regards to how it will impact each team....but there is very little that I can get excited about right now.    Our biggest improvements this offseason will probably be additions by subtraction after losing Ben's decaying carcass and maybe Colbert (depending on his replacement).  None of our FA moves were great.   Maybe a couple good ones...but nothing that really moves the needle much.

I dont ENTIRELY hate the draft class.    Im just left feeling like we, once again, desperately reached and missed out on better opportunities to improve this team.  Every pick felt kinda off for one reason or another.   Pickett was absolutely a reach.   Pickens was a good pick but pretty risky.   Leal is solid quality in rd 3 but kind of a tweener.  And as always, I get the feeling we missed out on certain players because the Steelers refused to make a move....yet they probably offered a future 3rd to move up for Pickett.

I just hope whoever replaces Colbert (likely Hunt), is completely different than Colbert.   Not that Colbert was the worst, and I appreciate most of his time here, but we need fresh eyes and a fresh outlook for this team.   Was part of the reason I hoped we'd hire someone externally.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

Just as a side note to kinda toot my own horn...I kinda called it with Willis to the Titans....

I feel like thats about the best spot he could have landed.  He has a much better chance at success there than he woukd have here IMO....although Id still love to redo the draft and take him in the 3rd instead of Pickett in the first.

Here is the problem. I understand people from pittsburg wanting the hometown guy...i get that. I understand the sale. Facts: this draft was the worse for QB ... The worse seen in maybe decades...no one was going to pick pickett before steelers 2nd pick...no one...including the panthers. Thats not even an opinion. People simply didnt like the Qb this year...i mean some of you had guys like howell and coral in rd 1 yet alone rd 2 and they are looking at 4 or 5 or even worse. But here is the bigger problem... Steelers fans ......the logical ones...were sold on the rebuild. We were going to do what everyone else is doing and pick a qb next year or 2...when the draft class is good and not horrid. We were told not to worry about the fact that matt Canada sucks when running a pro style offense...because in the nfl...matt canada is a rpo guy looking for a rpo mobile qb. So for the steeler fans in the know...they understand we have a problem...we yet again have OC who so far sucks at pro style ...with a pro style QB. Square 1.... This is the problem. I hope canada turns it around. Pickett is not my concern...he better not be, because this pick happened because he is ready now... Which means its not even open competition in my eyes..its picketts job to loose and mitch is actually still in his buffalo role.  And this mess could have been aquired in the second round maybe even 3rd.