Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

Adams had 10 drops in 2015 which led the league. James Jones went through a phase with some horrible drops. Watson has 10 1/8" hand size (Adams had 9") which is well above average (91%). Also, Watson had only 2 drops with Lance at QB, so there are many factors. 

Edited by cannondale

7 hours ago, Green19 said:

Only to Adams and only on the got to have it plays in the playoffs… by passing an open Lazard.

So tired of hearing this. You know this play is on YouTube? You can see for yourself that Lazard was covered when Rodgers looked his way...before Adams.  Lazard wasn't open until after Rodgers had started his throwing motion and there was no reason to expect K'Wuan Williams to just decide not to cover anyone at that point.

Rodgers made his reads, saw EQ and Lazard we're covered and threw to ol' reliable as the double safety blitz started to get home. Credit the 9ers defense for a confusing defensive formation (a safety lined up at the Mike and then dropped to cover Adams) and execution from the players besides Williams.

Sure Rodgers should be savvy enough to recognize that it was another safety lined up at the Mike and not a linebacker, and he probably did have an extra half second to try to extend the play out of the pocket so he could have looked back and found Williams deciding to do nothing, but this whole "Lazard was open" narrative is just lazy and doesn't encompass the whole play.

10 minutes ago, Sandy said:

So tired of hearing this. You know this play is on YouTube? You can see for yourself that Lazard was covered when Rodgers looked his way...before Adams.  Lazard wasn't open until after Rodgers had started his throwing motion and there was no reason to expect K'Wuan Williams to just decide not to cover anyone at that point.

Rodgers made his reads, saw EQ and Lazard we're covered and threw to ol' reliable as the double safety blitz started to get home. Credit the 9ers defense for a confusing defensive formation (a safety lined up at the Mike and then dropped to cover Adams) and execution from the players besides Williams.

Sure Rodgers should be savvy enough to recognize that it was another safety lined up at the Mike and not a linebacker, and he probably did have an extra half second to try to extend the play out of the pocket so he could have looked back and found Williams deciding to do nothing, but this whole "Lazard was open" narrative is just lazy and doesn't encompass the whole play.

So it's still a bad read in a crucial spot.

43 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This is a really bizarre way of saying that Rodgers shouldn't be blamed for misreading a defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

It's not lazy, this take is just really bad. The play was Favre vs NYG in NFCCG bad by Rodgers. He did the same thing Favre did, lock in on one guy and throw the ball.

Pause when Rodgers foot hits the 18. EQ and Lazard are at relatively the same point on the field vertically. You have a Cover 3 look and what looks to be the slot corner sitting flat footed at the 38, so he's irrelevant in the play. The read them is the outside man, if he follows EQ, the throw is Laz and vice versa. The only dead read on the play is where Aaron throws the ball. 

I'm as big of a Rodgers supporter as the next guy, but I'm actually surprised LaFleur and Gute watched the tape of this game and wanted him back. Carbon copy of Favre in 2008, run the offense and we win the game.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is a really bizarre way of saying that Rodgers shouldn't be blamed for misreading a defense. 

There's also the fact that lots of people scream "nobody EVER gets open." Like at all, at any time during the play, just Adams. But when Lazard does "oh not like that though."

Just now, Norm said:

There's also the fact that lots of people scream "nobody EVER gets open." Like at all, at any time during the play, just Adams. But when Lazard does "oh not like that though."

There was a passing lane to EQ as well but the throw to Lazard would have been more to AR's skills. He screwed up and it cost us.

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

LaFleur guesses the coverage correctly AND gets a poorly designed blitz that was easy to pickup. He must've been jacked as Rodgers was taking his drop that he just called the game winning play. Rodgers blew it. 

But the play is on YouTube so...? 

Doesn't count

It's not that I think he did well on the play, it was a ****ty play on his part.  The part I find lazy in the analysis is the whole "Lazard was open" part that people who watched the play live cling to despite never watching it in detail. 

I mean, @Packerraymond look at the screenshot there with Lazard circled as open...then look at Rodgers. Rodgers was already mid-throw by the time he got open.

Rodgers screwed up by not recognizing that it was a S playing Mike that followed Adams (or recognizing it and throwing it anyway), or by throwing into coverage when he had a clean pocket for at least another half-second (plenty of time and he had lanes to escape for more time). If he does these things then he inevitably would have looked back and saw that Williams lost track of Lazard and that he was wide open.

So in short...it was a hero ball throw to Adams. Rodgers misread the defense or didn't care.  He threw before he had to instead of waiting for the play to develop. And most of the 9ers defense actually executed the play very well and credit should be given for that.

But Allen Lazard was not open when he threw the ball.

Just a high horse moment for me. I get irrationally irked whenever I hear someone say that without actually looking at the play.

It's clear as day that Lazard was open, so I'm not sure what you are pushing back at. If Rodgers hadn't been hyperfocused on Adams, he would see that Lazard was about to easily break open. It's not like there was a heavy pass rush. It's an anticipatory throw that regular season Rodgers makes 9 out of 10 times.

Edited by TheEagle

16 minutes ago, Sandy said:

It's not that I think he did well on the play, it was a ****ty play on his part.  The part I find lazy in the analysis is the whole "Lazard was open" part that people who watched the play live cling to despite never watching it in detail. 

I mean, @Packerraymond look at the screenshot there with Lazard circled as open...then look at Rodgers. Rodgers was already mid-throw by the time he got open.

Rodgers screwed up by not recognizing that it was a S playing Mike that followed Adams (or recognizing it and throwing it anyway), or by throwing into coverage when he had a clean pocket for at least another half-second (plenty of time and he had lanes to escape for more time). If he does these things then he inevitably would have looked back and saw that Williams lost track of Lazard and that he was wide open.

So in short...it was a hero ball throw to Adams. Rodgers misread the defense or didn't care.  He threw before he had to instead of waiting for the play to develop. And most of the 9ers defense actually executed the play very well and credit should be given for that.

Just a high horse moment for me. I get irrationally irked whenever I hear someone say that without actually looking at the play.

Sorry man, this makes absolutely no sense. NFL throws are about anticipation, by the time the ball would hit Laz's hands, he would've been wide open. Who cares about the moment it left Rodgers hands? Pretty irrelevant point in time.

29 minutes ago, Sandy said:

So Rodgers misread the defense, and threw to a dead route. 

If Aaron had read the defense correctly, his read order would have changed and he would have been looking at Lazard when Lazard was open. 

Lazard was open on this play. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm as big of a Rodgers supporter as the next guy, but I'm actually surprised LaFleur and Gute watched the tape of this game and wanted him back. Carbon copy of Favre in 2008, run the offense and we win the game.

Silly.

Rodgers play in that game, with the available weapons, was about reason #5 the Pack lost the game. His biggest sin was he couldn't go Godgers mode which he can't do anymore when his OL is getting overrun.