Round 3 Pick 92; Sean Rhyan OL, UCLA

Packerraymond

Out of the draft, with plenty of extra picks already, I'd like to see three total o-linemen. 

A tackle who projects well at guard who can compete with Rhyan right away (Runyan will walk).

A high-potential center.

An athletic but raw tackle prospect in the late rounds. 

I'd be pretty pleased to have the first two taken in the first two days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Out of the draft, with plenty of extra picks already, I'd like to see three total o-linemen. 

A tackle who projects well at guard who can compete with Rhyan right away (Runyan will walk).

A high-potential center.

I dont recall ever being so enthusiastic about drafting a guard high. Seems like a relatively weak class for IOL though. Not sure we are able get someone with enough size to be better than rhyan year1

25 minutes ago, Sandy said:

A high-potential center.

At first glance (literally just started looking into it now) Fuaga, Ore St, intrigues me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

At first glance (literally just started looking into it now) Fuaga, Ore St, intrigues me

I started this week (now that fantasy football is over) and he remains one of the guys I like the most (albeit on only 3 days of research lol)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

JRJ leaves after this season and GB drafts another Jenkins to compete with Rhyan.  Works for me.

I'd like that, especially if the next Jenkins ended up being good.  

Common assumption is that JRJ is expiring so he will leave?  Makes sense, look to get somebody newer and younger and better and improve. 

But, just to devil's advocate:  I wonder if they might not actually bring him back?  I don't imagine he's impressed the league enough to get any compelling FA offers to be a starter.  Suppose his market is $5/2 backup type offers (or whatever): 

1. Would that bust our budget, to have an anti-awful backup for LG/RG?  
  2. If offers are equal, would he prefer to move elsewhere, since he maybe feels disrespected and under-appreciated here?  
  3. Or, offers equal, might he prefer to stay?  Knows the offense, coaches, lots of friends, can see the possibility to be winning a lot here? 
  4. Opportunity-wise, would there be ANYWHERE else where he'd have a more open competitive-window than competing with Rhyan for starts?  Maybe yes, but it may be that having a share-time opportunity with Rhyan is actually the best opportunity open to him?  
  5. Not sure, maybe the money will be bigger, and there will be $$ reasons both for him to leave and for Gute to goodbye.  But just thinking that we've seen the offense can win with the line as is.  *IF* the price is cheap, keeping some depth protection isn't a bad idea.  Easy to envision pushing him out, only to have an injury early on and be stuck with an ill-prepared 3rd-day rookie getting dominated.  There is considerable value in anti-awful depth.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

Common assumption is that JRJ is expiring so he will leave?  Makes sense, look to get somebody newer and younger and better and improve. 

But, just to devil's advocate:  I wonder if they might not actually bring him back?  I don't imagine he's impressed the league enough to get any compelling FA offers to be a starter.  Suppose his market is $5/2 backup type offers (or whatever): 

If JRJ can be signed for 5 dollars, I guess I'd take him back.

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If JRJ can be signed for 5 dollars, I guess I'd take him back.

If they bring him back as a cheap backup guard then that's fine, but they need to seriously upgrade that position and get a high level starter in place for 2024.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If they bring him back as a cheap backup guard then that's fine, but they need to seriously upgrade that position and get a high level starter in place for 2024.  

As President of the Sean Rhyan fan club, I'll say we have one. He just hasn't had enough snaps yet. 

53 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

As President of the Sean Rhyan fan club, I'll say we have one. He just hasn't had enough snaps yet. 

I wouldn't trust him enough to skip picking another guard in the draft that they feel highly about.  JRJ will be gone more than likely.  Royce Newman is a bust. Also Jenkins has had some injury issues too. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wouldn't trust him enough to skip picking another guard in the draft that they feel highly about.  JRJ will be gone more than likely.  Royce Newman is a bust. Also Jenkins has had some injury issues too. 

Definitely have to replenish the offensive line depth this off season and add to it. I don't want any Royce Newman level 'talent,' on the team next year. 

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-snap-counts-v-chicago-week-18-2023-134

60 snaps total in offense. 

31/29 Runyan/Rhyan, the usual 50-50.  Old Guy had wondered in game thread whether Rhyan hadn't upped his snaps, but no.  Nijman got 12 snaps, Tom 48, out of the 60 snaps.  

Melton led WR in snaps, 45.  43-36-23 for Wicks, Reed, Heath.  

Musgrave 9.  

48 defensive snaps, Alexander played them all.  Walker-Campbell 48-38, so almost full-time.  Enagbare-VanNess 13-12, so Gary/Preston 3/4 usage.  

On 1/3/2024 at 7:39 PM, Sandy said:

A high-potential center.

1) Graham Barton, Duke (a round 2 pick). Closer to a pure guard are Donovan Jackson (Ohio St), Cooper Beebe (K.state), also 2nd round picks.

2) Van Pran, Georgia (2nd), or Zach Frazier W.Virginia and Jackson powers-Johnson, Oregon (2nd/3rd)

3) Kiran Amegadje, Yale (4th), LaDarius Henderson, Michigan (5th/6th)

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Things I thought I saw....

I didn't notice Rhyan in the game in the first half. 

Also?  I didn't notice JRJ for the second half outside of the first drive.

To my untrained eye, it looked like our running game sputtered when Rhyan was in there.  Those great runs over RG and RT simply were not there, so we started running left more.

In the first half, there was a play, 11 yarder to Jones where JRJ took his guy about 6 yards off the LOS.  Just got low and drove him damn near to the Fox River.

But again, you draft guys like Rhyan so you don't have to overpay guys like JRJ.  No doubt we will be drafting more interior linemean for the future so you don't have to overpay for guys like Rhyan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Things I thought I saw....

I didn't notice Rhyan in the game in the first half. 

Also?  I didn't notice JRJ for the second half outside of the first drive.

To my untrained eye, it looked like our running game sputtered when Rhyan was in there.  Those great runs over RG and RT simply were not there, so we started running left more.

In the first half, there was a play, 11 yarder to Jones where JRJ took his guy about 6 yards off the LOS.  Just got low and drove him damn near to the Fox River.

But again, you draft guys like Rhyan so you don't have to overpay guys like JRJ.  No doubt we will be drafting more interior linemean for the future so you don't have to overpay for guys like Rhyan.

You can't pay everybody and I think this is a good strategy. Unless Rhyan turns elite in the next two years, you replace him. Same with Myers. 

I just assume JRJ is down the road after this year. 

As it looks today, we are going to have a whole lot of guys we are going to want to hang onto in the next two, three years. 

• Like 1