Draft Day 3 Thread

MikeT14

6 minutes ago, DCNative said:

The fact we haven't won a playoff game since 2005 is the truth. The fact the overspent for Wentz is the truth. The fact trading for him cost us Cap space is the truth. The fact we have HC that chooses a lot of his friends oppose to quality staff  is the truth. The fact the Browns rookie LB had a better season than Davis last year is the truth. 

Yes we haven’t won a playoff game since 2005.

Wentzs trade value being too high is your opinion.

True he cost us cap space.  What is also a fact is that QBs are expensive, and if we will it’ll be worth it.

You claiming the staff is not of high quality is your opinion.

The Browns LB having a better session last year than Davis is your opinion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCNative said:

The fact we haven't won a playoff game since 2005 is the truth. The fact the overspent for Wentz is the truth. The fact trading for him cost us Cap space is the truth. The fact we have HC that chooses a lot of his friends oppose to quality staff  is the truth. The fact the Browns rookie LB had a better season than Davis last year is the truth. 

Real Housewives Of Orange County Discussion GIF

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What are you talking about? Fans & the DC sports media complain about this team not winning a playoff game constantly on every platform there is.

There is a small % of the fanbase which always had burgundy & gold glasses on and believes everything they do will work out.

There is no one like that on this board for sure.

So why are you defending some of the same things that continue to happen? Waiting until the season when you know there is a problem now makes no sense. I see a problem at the LB position now and know it needs to be fixed now, not week 5 of the regular season. 

5 minutes ago, DCNative said:

See a lot of fans here have enjoyed the less than average experience over the last 15 years. Not here to cause problems just thought this was a place to discuss my sad favorite football team. 

It is. Continue to share your perspective, please. Everyone's thoughts are welcome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCNative said:

See a lot of fans here have enjoyed the less than average experience over the last 15 years. Not here to cause problems just thought this was a place to discuss my sad favorite football team. 

You’re more than welcome to share any viewpoint you have.  What’s annoying is when you say that your opinion is the only truth and everyone must have the same opinion as you. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCNative said:

So why are you defending some of the same things that continue to happen? Waiting until the season when you know there is a problem now makes no sense. I see a problem at the LB position now and know it needs to be fixed now, not week 5 of the regular season. 

I’m not defending them per say, I’m explaining them. All I’m saying is what they are doing could work. It’s a possibility that it works and our young players take a next step and are better next year. Generally young players get better as they develop from year to year. 

Personally, I don’t think anything they would’ve done in the draft was going to make their LB corps a lot better this season. Again, they have their top 2 LBs, that was always the case this entire off-season & Jamin/Holcomb will be on the field around 75% of the game. Those are their guys, I’ve explained that a million different ways, I can’t help that you don’t/can’t accept that.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re more than welcome to share any viewpoint you have.  What’s annoying is when you say that your opinion is the only truth and everyone must have the same opinion as you. 

The Truth we haven't won a playoff game since 2005 should say a lot about what I write. I never come without something to back my statements. Yet I do understand we all won't always agree on everything. 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not defending them per say, I’m explaining them. All I’m saying is what they are doing could work. It’s a possibility that it works and our young players take a next step and are better next year. Generally young players get better as they develop from year to year. 

Personally, I don’t think anything they would’ve done in the draft was going to make their LB corps a lot better this season. Again, they have their top 2 LBs, that was always the case this entire off-season & Jamin/Holcomb will be on the field around 75% of the game. Those are their guys, I’ve explained that a million different ways, I can’t help that you don’t/can’t accept that.

Adding Dean makes them better. His IQ, his talent, his leadership, work ethic ect. That is our weak spot. He was a top 5 if not the best LB prospect sitting there for them to take and they just passed him by. Than let him go to a rival opponent. I understand giving Davis another year and letting him grow but I just can't make sense out of passing on Dean. 

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes we haven’t won a playoff game since 2005.

Wentzs trade value being too high is your opinion.

True he cost us cap space.  What is also a fact is that QBs are expensive, and if we will it’ll be worth it.

You claiming the staff is not of high quality is your opinion.

The Browns LB having a better session last year than Davis is your opinion.

That's a BIG IF I wouldn't bet on. 

2 minutes ago, DCNative said:

Adding Dean makes them better. His IQ, his talent, his leadership, work ethic ect. That is our weak spot. He was a top 5 if not the best LB prospect sitting there for them to take and they just passed him by. Than let him go to a rival opponent. I understand giving Davis another year and letting him grow but I just can't make sense out of passing on Dean. 

We run a Nickle set more than any other, that’s with 4 Dline, 5 defensive backs and only 2 linebackers. In that base set, Holcomb and Davis are going to stay on the field. Davis has to play or he won’t get better, so drafting his replacement makes no sense. Replacing Holcomb would be a marginal at best improvement with a rookie linebacker as he was our most consistent linebacker last year.  The 3rd linebacker spot honestly doesn’t play that many snaps because we don’t run a traditional 4-3 base very often.  Now that would change with an injury but that could be said about every position.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCNative said:

I wanted Dean too. I’m with you there but I think we also should realize as Mknight said and I have said repeatedly that Holcomb & Jamin Davis are our two linebackers & they view them as that. We play nickel 75% of the game w/ 2 LBs & 5 DBs, either 3 safeties or 3 CBs on the field at one time bc teams throw so much.

Seeing that those two will be on the field 75% of the time, does it make sense to draft a LB in the 2nd round who’s only going to play 25-30% of the game?

Or, does it make sense to draft a DT who’s going to play 50% of the snaps in the 2nd round?

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Passing on some of the linebackers for Mathis a d then for Robinson & Butler may backfire but it’s hard not to like the players we took also. We took good players. As I’ve been saying the fact that we didn’t take a LB speaks to how much they believe in the young 3 linebackers they have - Holcomb, Jamin & Hudson - but they certainly could’ve used another young LB or 2 for depth and to compete with them.

Butler is the one I think we really blew.  We already have 1 Troy Apke, I don't think we need a second.  Butler will play a few special teams snaps and sub in at safety and nickel here and there but that is likely his ceiling. 

Brandon Smith could be an every down starter at linebacker.

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Butler is the one I think we really blew.  We already have 1 Troy Apke, I don't think we need a second.  Butler will play a few special teams snaps and sub in at safety and nickel here and there but that is likely his ceiling. 

Brandon Smith could be an every down starter at linebacker.

We have 2 every down starters at linebacker, or they will be this year Holcomb & Jamin Davis. It’s very unlikely  that any LB we drafted was going to supplant them except possibly Devin Lloyd.

Even if we had drafted Brandon Smith, it’s very likely that he would’ve just been a special teams player too. Butler was viewed by most as the best special teams player in the draft. I don’t know that either would’ve/will played a lot on D this year.

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We run a Nickle set more than any other, that’s with 4 Dline, 5 defensive backs and only 2 linebackers. In that base set, Holcomb and Davis are going to stay on the field. Davis has to play or he won’t get better, so drafting his replacement makes no sense. Replacing Holcomb would be a marginal at best improvement with a rookie linebacker as he was our most consistent linebacker last year.  The 3rd linebacker spot honestly doesn’t play that many snaps because we don’t run a traditional 4-3 base very often.  Now that would change with an injury but that could be said about every position.  

Ok draft Dean and have him compete with Holcomb, Bostic (if still here) and Mayo. If Dean doesn't beat Holcomb at the begining of the year do everything possible to make sure he's ready to take that spot next year. 

Your really defending our LB core? Or tryna teach me something?