Official Yankees Thread

mission27

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

That's fair. But we also have a couple other pitchers behind Adams who might be ready next year too. But you're right, we can't count our chickens before they hatch.

Adams and Sheffield might be coming soon! When I read stuff from scouts, a lot of them have their reservations on Adams. I haven’t seen him pitch, I just know he walks a bunch of batters. 

1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

Adams and Sheffield might be coming soon! When I read stuff from scouts, a lot of them have their reservations on Adams. I haven’t seen him pitch, I just know he walks a bunch of batters. 

That's true, but he's been so dominant in the minors even with the walks. He's 28-6 with a 2.4ish ERA over the past two years.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

That's true, but he's been so dominant in the minors even with the walks. He's 28-6 with a 2.4ish ERA over the past two years.

I’m willing to bet we’ll see him next year.

who woulda thought we’d be where we are?! Big money contracts almost gone, money to spend, young superstars, booming farm system.

The two biggest moves of the off season are resigning Girardi and Cashman. ( What a complete 180 I did on Cash, boy did I hate him )

Just now, pollino14 said:

I’m willing to bet we’ll see him next year.

who woulda thought we’d be where we are?! Big money contracts almost gone, money to spend, young superstars, booming farm system.

The two biggest moves of the off season are resigning Girardi and Cashman. ( What a complete 180 I did on Cash, boy did I hate him )

We just have to resist the urge to hand out a bad contract this winter.

Even if Tanaka opts out, we have to do everything we can to re-sign him.  He has been an ace quality pitcher for 4 years here.  There are not a lot of pitchers that good, so if you have them, you can't just let them leave.  And even this past year, his worst year, he turned it around in the 2nd half of the year and was lights out in the postseason.  I would be very miffed if he was pitching for anyone else next season.  And he'll still be in him prime years as he'll be 29 at the start of next season.  I have always been a believer in Masahiro Tanaka.

And Otani would also be a great addition.  Due to his age, there is a restriction on how much a team can pay him too.  So it will come down to if we can make a good enough case.  

CC, I would only bring back on a one year deal since he has done better since reinventing himself.  But I would not want to bet on his age and balky knees beyond that.  A rotation of Sevy/Tanaka/Gray/Otani/Montgomery would be great even w/o CC.

With Headley still here and Torres and Andujar both in the wings at 3B, Todd Frazier leaving is a certainty.  As for the OF, we are probably stuck with Ellsbury unfortunately.  Judge and Hicks are givens TBH.  Gardner would be the guy to move if we had to most likely, but why force it?  Gardner is still a really good player for us and Clint still has time.  And injuries and unexpected player decline happen all the time and can also allow him into the team.  I would not stress about that too much.

12 hours ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Even if Tanaka opts out, we have to do everything we can to re-sign him.  He has been an ace quality pitcher for 4 years here.  There are not a lot of pitchers that good, so if you have them, you can't just let them leave.  And even this past year, his worst year, he turned it around in the 2nd half of the year and was lights out in the postseason.  I would be very miffed if he was pitching for anyone else next season.  And he'll still be in him prime years as he'll be 29 at the start of next season.  I have always been a believer in Masahiro Tanaka.

And Otani would also be a great addition.  Due to his age, there is a restriction on how much a team can pay him too.  So it will come down to if we can make a good enough case.  

CC, I would only bring back on a one year deal since he has done better since reinventing himself.  But I would not want to bet on his age and balky knees beyond that.  A rotation of Sevy/Tanaka/Gray/Otani/Montgomery would be great even w/o CC.

With Headley still here and Torres and Andujar both in the wings at 3B, Todd Frazier leaving is a certainty.  As for the OF, we are probably stuck with Ellsbury unfortunately.  Judge and Hicks are givens TBH.  Gardner would be the guy to move if we had to most likely, but why force it?  Gardner is still a really good player for us and Clint still has time.  And injuries and unexpected player decline happen all the time and can also allow him into the team.  I would not stress about that too much.

Clint Frazier needs to be playing regularly. Him in the minors, or being the 5th OF doesn't help him.

Kid is ready, we've seen his electric bat he needs ML reps. My confidence in him is sky high

• Like 1

Yeah, I’m all in on Clint as well. I really would hate moving Gardner, but at this point it has to be done. 

I’m also also down to field offers on Castro. I am just not a fan. I’d be fine with Gleybar there. As for 3B, no idea what to do there. Frazier had some big moments in the post season for us and fits the club house to perfection and had become a big presence there.

I’d take CC back in a heart beat for a year or two. Tanaka id have a problem paying 25Mil + per year which he’ll command on the open market.

23 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Yeah, I’m all in on Clint as well. I really would hate moving Gardner, but at this point it has to be done. 

I’m also also down to field offers on Castro. I am just not a fan. I’d be fine with Gleybar there. As for 3B, no idea what to do there. Frazier had some big moments in the post season for us and fits the club house to perfection and had become a big presence there.

I’d take CC back in a heart beat for a year or two. Tanaka id have a problem paying 25Mil + per year which he’ll command on the open market.

I'm not a fan of Castro at all. I feel like he plays lazy D and I hate players who swing at everything (Didi is the exception), I do think it's risky trading him this off-season though. We'd be relying on Gleyber from day 1 to man 2nd base, and Headley/Andujar at 3rd. 

I would much rather see how Gleyber does this year, and seeing what we can get for Castro next. 

11 hours ago, pollino14 said:

What a terrible decision to get rid of Girardi... The guy handles the team so well, over-achieved SIGNIFICANTLY this year, as well as many other years and THIS is what happens?

Awful. Absolutely awful.

Cashman better return. 

If he didn’t fit with the young guys what’s the problem? I think he’s better suited for managing a more veteran team. Appreciate everything he did for us, but I don’t think this was because he was a bad manager for us, I think it was because he didn’t fit in the clubhouse.

Cashman not returning would be far, FAR more egrigious. In fact it would be completely moronic, and the dumbest thing I have ever seen in sports. What Cashman has done the past few years has been nothing short of magical.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:23 AM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

If he didn’t fit with the young guys what’s the problem? I think he’s better suited for managing a more veteran team. Appreciate everything he did for us, but I don’t think this was because he was a bad manager for us, I think it was because he didn’t fit in the clubhouse.

Cashman not returning would be far, FAR more egrigious. In fact it would be completely moronic, and the dumbest thing I have ever seen in sports. What Cashman has done the past few years has been nothing short of magical.

I think thats a scapegoat excuse. Ya Joe isn't the most personable of all guys, but even back to his time with The Marlins he's always been good managing younger teams. Guy always took the sword for his players, and I think that's why many of the players liked him despite his 'by the book' nature.

I believe the decision was made based on Cashman wanting more control. 

6 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I think thats a scapegoat excuse. Ya Joe isn't the most personable of all guys, but even back to his time with The Marlins he's always been good managing younger teams. Guy always took the sword for his players, and I think that's why many of the players liked him despite his 'by the book' nature.

I believe the decision was made based on Cashman wanting more control. 

What’s wrong with Cash wanting more control though? After these last few years I’m perfectly ok with that. He’s been the best GM in baseball the last couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

What’s wrong with Cash wanting more control though? After these last few years I’m perfectly ok with that. He’s been the best GM in baseball the last couple of seasons.

I'm a fan of both. I just wish they would have worked better together.