Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Watch him start 17 games for the Jets this year now 

Something like that seems like the way this story needs to end.  Rodgers limps through a 2nd season as a Jet.  After NY is eliminated from the playoffs, Wilson steps in and plays surprisingly well. Wilson is the Jets starter for the next 10 years.

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

You can " hold out" and still get paid and accrue a year of service.

If GB has little in option behind Walker/ Tom at OT, the players gain some leverage.  

Always have to wait and see how the draft falls, but OL looks like a very likely target for one of the 25/41 picks.  Even without considering the cost of upcoming extensions, GB needs another viable OT.  The IOL could also use help.  I would not be at all surprised to see two picks spent on the OL before the end of day 2.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Old Guy said:

No thanks, do your own research. 

Well, it was your snazzy idea that we should be doing deals in year 3 for these guys, but you won't look it up to see if that is something that is commonly done, or even done at all?

Which tells me that you know your argument fails when looking at the data.

So I'll take a peek.   

We have not done it.  Unless you want to count Love's deal that happened before the 5'th year option needed to come into play.  But we aren't talking about first rounders with the 5'th year option.  We are talking about guys who are eligible after year 3.  None first rounders.

And our number is zero.  ZERO.

Then I checked some other clubs.  Excluding first round picks and that 5'th year option stuff.  I still cannot find one.  

I'm looking at draft histories and guys who signed new deals and I see none as being signed in year three, outside of the first round.

So, the number is zero...for now.  It is possible.  Brock Purdy is going to get one.  But outside of him, and the rare non first round QB, this is not something that typically happens.

But hey, maybe GB will be the one club that bucks the trend.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

You can " hold out" and still get paid and accrue a year of service.

If GB has little in option behind Walker/ Tom at OT, the players gain some leverage.  

GB had nothing waiting in the wings at center when EDS needed a contract.  We used a 5th rounder to find a plug and play starter in Linsley.

We had nothing at center when Linsley's contract was up.  We used a second rounder to plug and play Myers at center.

Say what you want about his level of play (Myers), but the club was content with drafting a kid and letting him play right away.

We didn't have anything behind 'Vante.  Made due for a year and simply drafted bodies.  Now we are stacked in the WR room.

We are still a draft and develop team and we do trust our staff to develop guys.  If there is any "leverage" with the player, it is minimal due to our philosophy and how it has worked over the years.  

Rewatched the Cowboys and Viking games (what a nice day) and IF Walker doesn't improve we'll be okay. If he improves as much as he did in the 2 year jump? We're golden. One OL early, one later.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

GB had nothing waiting in the wings at center when EDS needed a contract.  We used a 5th rounder to find a plug and play starter in Linsley.

We had nothing at center when Linsley's contract was up.  We used a second rounder to plug and play Myers at center.

Say what you want about his level of play (Myers), but the club was content with drafting a kid and letting him play right away.

We didn't have anything behind 'Vante.  Made due for a year and simply drafted bodies.  Now we are stacked in the WR room.

We are still a draft and develop team and we do trust our staff to develop guys.  If there is any "leverage" with the player, it is minimal due to our philosophy and how it has worked over the years.  

Would you rather wait and " have" to fill that hole in a draft or plan ahead and have an option 1 year into the development?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Would you rather wait and " have" to fill that hole in a draft or plan ahead and have an option 1 year into the development?

I'm all in on whatever the Packers do.  And traditionally, they have not been concerned about drafting a kid that they feel can play right away.

LOL, but that is me dodging the question.  So I'll answer for me.  No.  I'd rather have someone ready to go.  I was worried when we lost EDS with no one behind him.  I was worried when we lost Linsley with no one behind him.  I was very worried when we lost (checks notes) Lucas Patrick with no one behind him.  I was worried when Bakh was injured, or coming back and we had no one behind him.  I was worried when we had to start Nijman at RT in 2022.  

I worry a lot about not having guys "ready" to go.

But....Linsley, Myers, Runyan, Nijman, Tom, Walker have all really made me comfortable with how this staff can get young guys, even lower drafted or undrafted guys, ready to play.

• Like 1

'Big offseason' for Rasheed Walker but Packers confident in him (msn.com)

Maybe Rasheed was not as good as many of us thought he was last year. I don't make PFF the end all be all, but those are some below average numbers. 

Walker finished the season allowing six sacks and 36 pressures. He ranked 35th out of 50 eligible tackles in PFF's pass-blocking efficiency metric and 41st in run-blocking grade.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, Dubz41 said:

Rewatched the Cowboys and Viking games (what a nice day) and IF Walker doesn't improve we'll be okay. If he improves as much as he did in the 2 year jump? We're golden. One OL early, one later.

Three in the middle where we excel at getting quality offensive linemen for me please. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Maybe Rasheed was not as good as many of us thought he was last year. I don't make PFF the end all be all, but those are some below average numbers. 

Walker finished the season allowing six sacks and 36 pressures. He ranked 35th out of 50 eligible tackles in PFF's pass-blocking efficiency metric and 41st in run-blocking grade.

That pretty much lines up with how I viewed him.  I feel like if you looked at those pressures, sacks and things like that, he had a very poor start to the year.

As did the team and most of the linemen not named Tom.

Then they clicked and we took off.

I really hope that they "click" right away in camp and that Walker takes another step forward.  It is fun thinking we are bringing back 4 starters and another guy who had a lot of snaps at RG.  Cohesiveness is a wonderful thing to have on the o-line.

Adding in some draft picks from this class should just reinforce our line, for this year and the future.  It is exciting!

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

So, do things look different when you look at him in the second half of the season ? With ascending players, its more about where they finished than where they started.....

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So, do things look different when you look at him in the second half of the season ? With ascending players, its more about where they finished than where they started.....

Fair point! 

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

another way to think about this stat....how bad was Walker in the first half of the season if he did much better in the 2nd half, and he still ended up with those rankings lol 

5 hours ago, persiandud said:

another way to think about this stat....how bad was Walker in the first half of the season if he did much better in the 2nd half, and he still ended up with those rankings lol 

I don't disagree. Hope he continues to improve, but we also have to make sure we address our lack of depth on the offensive line in the draft. 

• Like 1