The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Not a fan of the cast?

Superhero movies with only one of the four looking physically capable isn't a great start. 

You know they're not going to be able to resist running out Neil Gaiman's brief run for the name and notoriety (and because the last run before it ended in 86 which means we can probably assume it sucks), which wasn't really finished and never really went anywhere. 

49 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Superhero movies with only one of the four looking physically capable isn't a great start. 

You know they're not going to be able to resist running out Neil Gaiman's brief run for the name and notoriety (and because the last run before it ended in 86 which means we can probably assume it sucks), which wasn't really finished and never really went anywhere. 

That seems like a very weird take... There’s more to superhero than rock n sock em, and I’m sure they are going to make an original story and use the comics as inspiration as they have done with most of their movies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Not a fan of the cast?

I’m not tbh. But a big part of it for me is the concept of The Eternals. I don’t see them fitting into the MCU and they seem like more Captain Marvels. By that I mean overpowered with little room for growth. If it doesn’t take place in the MCU or isn’t done right, it’ll be another Inhumans. 

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

because its old?

Yep, gonna run with this one. Much like every other form of media, comics have evolved significantly over the decades. You look at something like Spider-Man, while everybody loves Stan Lee, that book would get laughed off an editing floor today. From ink to coloring to writing, it's all WAY behind the times and techniques of the best modern books. There a few that lasted, Simonson's Thor leaps immediately to mind, but for the most part the competition gets better and those books stay the same. 

Also, I really don't think anybody wants to grind though Jack Kirby's 35 year old musings on creationism. Which he made as basically a vanity project with no intention of connecting to the rest of the comic universe. 

7 hours ago, Acgott said:

That seems like a very weird take... There’s more to superhero than rock n sock em, and I’m sure they are going to make an original story and use the comics as inspiration as they have done with most of their movies

There is definitely more to super heros than the fight scenes, but those big set pieces are what makes it rain. If they're not believable in those, it takes the air out of the movie. 

They assuredly will make their own story changes, but the casting of MBB certainly makes it look like they've got a direction picked out, and it doesn't look promising.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yep, gonna run with this one. Much like every other form of media, comics have evolved significantly over the decades. You look at something like Spider-Man, while everybody loves Stan Lee, that book would get laughed off an editing floor today. From ink to coloring to writing, it's all WAY behind the times and techniques of the best modern books. There a few that lasted, Simonson's Thor leaps immediately to mind, but for the most part the competition gets better and those books stay the same. 

Also, I really don't think anybody wants to grind though Jack Kirby's 35 year old musings on creationism. Which he made as basically a vanity project with no intention of connecting to the rest of the comic universe. 

This seems like a silly rule, especially since you pull in every other type of media. I get that the mean in which media is conveyed has improved, but the creative minds are there all the same. 

Im sorry I am really struggling with this mindset. So when do you switch to not liking something? Once its 15 years old? Just 5-10 more years and Iron Man 1 is trash because it isnt modern? What's the cutoff here? Do you only consume media that is produced in a certain time frame to the present day? It just strikes me as irrational and myopic. 

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This seems like a silly rule, especially since you pull in every other type of media. I get that the mean in which media is conveyed has improved, but the creative minds are there all the same. 

Im sorry I am really struggling with this mindset. So when do you switch to not liking something? Once its 15 years old? Just 5-10 more years and Iron Man 1 is trash because it isnt modern? What's the cutoff here? Do you only consume media that is produced in a certain time frame to the present day? It just strikes me as irrational and myopic. 

It has much less to do with the time frame and more to do with the approach to the story telling. Characters are almost exclusively one dimensional and stereotypical. This has a lot to do with being more of a child's medium. Additionally the art had taken on a much more realistic slant in the books that I enjoy more, as opposed to the Saturday morning cartoon that covered much of that era and is unfortunately making a come back. As the comic readers age has gotten older, so has the quality of the books. 

Haven't we learned anything about doubting marvel yet? Sure some of the tv shows flopped but those are completely unrelated to the MCU and aren't run by the same people... Until Kevin Feige actually manages to slip up and lay an egg I think him and the rest of the MCU producers have earned the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by rob_shadows

23 hours ago, Acgott said:

The original Spider-Man deal was for 5 movies which has been completed. Sony can exit if they want, but I don’t think they can use Tom Holland if they do. Holland is under contract for one more final Spider-Man movie currently.

And then what? Reboot Spider-Man AGAIN? Without the good graces of fans or Marvel this time? 

OR they can keep making Spider-Man films in the MCU and make an assload of money on both it and their Venomverse films. It's not a hard call. Sony may be dumb, but they're not THAT dumb.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

And then what? Reboot Spider-Man AGAIN? Without the good graces of fans or Marvel this time? 

OR they can keep making Spider-Man films in the MCU and make an assload of money on both it and their Venomverse films. It's not a hard call. Sony may be dumb, but they're not THAT dumb.

They shouldn’t do it, but right now they can’t use Tom Holland in their own Spider-Man universe lol with Venom 2 and Morbius, they may want to use Spider-Man and branch off there. Use the character to pump up the other ones.

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

They shouldn’t do it, but right now they can’t use Tom Holland in their own Spider-Man universe lol with Venom 2 and Morbius, they may want to use Spider-Man and branch off there. Use the character to pump up the other ones.

Since the movies are being released by Sony there’s nothing stopping them from using holland in their own Sony universe,

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Since the movies are being released by Sony there’s nothing stopping them from using holland in their own Sony universe,

I believe it was something in Holland’s contract that he only be part of the MCU

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast